hardware-faulty GW card: I need help to locate the issue

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by tyons, Oct 18, 2015.

1. tyons
    OP

tyons GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 11, 2012
    Italy
    soooo, my GW was faulty from the start. it was one of these that gave some error when trying to update its firmware. one day, I asked someone to resolder the faulty pin. even after that, it wouldn't update, but the next day it did on the first try (this was a year ago, or even more. a few minutes ago I force-reupdated the firmware and it worked on the first try).
    problem: from that day, the GW card started to not recognize consistently the microsd card. I gave up trying to play with .3ds games a year ago, and then played some other games on the PC.
    one week ago or so, I wanted to play a certain game on the 3ds, so I tried to put some tape in the GW card to force the pins to make contact. it worked... until yesterday.
    all of a sudden, while I was playing, the black screen with "hold the power button" appeared. now my gateway won't recognize the microsd card anymore. it's "read error" every time, which is the same it gives if you don't have a microsd card inserted in the GW.

this is clearly an hardware issue (don't even bother telling me to try changing microsd card, reformatting, etc., I already tried all that, and it's evidently the GW card's fault anyway) but I need help to locate which pin/s could be the culprit/s. I dunno, maybe there are some experts around that know which pins do what.
    the pins on which I put the tape are the ones on the right side, the same side of the pin that got resoldered.

related post(s), with images of the card after the soldering (inside the spoiler): http://gbatemp.net/threads/keep-get...to-install-gateway.369810/page-2#post-5119780

in the second image, you can see a pin that looks really off. it seems it was already like that, but I'm not 100% sure. anyway, in that week in which the tape method worked I didn't touch that pin, so it's unlikely to be the culprit.

thanks for the help.

edit: of course I can't get a replacement.

Last edited by tyons, Oct 18, 2015
  2. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    Than return it for a replacement, why would you waste time trying to figure out the issue when you have the option of getting a replacement from the reseller.

Zidapi likes this.
  3. Ante0

Ante0 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    I doubt he'll get a replacement after opening it up and soldering it. Unless OP somehow can prove it was like that before soldering.
    Of course one could always try...

4. tyons
    OP

Jul 11, 2012
    Italy
    guys, which part of "one year ago" did you miss? lol
    also I actually bought the card on november 2013. so yeah.

Last edited by tyons, Oct 18, 2015
  5. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Well, it's 2015. You can survive without Gateway.
    At least for now.

6. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Just use RxTools.

AlbertoSONIC likes this.
  7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Try running the diagnostics test. Put the gw_testrom.nds on the microsd first, then it will perform a more thorough test of the microsd.

8. tyons
    OP

Jul 11, 2012
    Italy
    you're offtopic. I'm trying to understand how to get my gateway repaired, here.

it's not the microsd card's fault, really. the tape method worked, only that it seems it couldn't last forever.

9. tony_2018

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    faulty from the start, and you wait 1yr to talk about it...

Zidapi likes this.
  10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Doesn't matter. The diagnostics test will help you pinpoint the issue, maybe it's fixable.
    You could also try to force a fpga update by holding R on entering the gw menu.

I must say that the pin that looks all bent out of shape is likely to be causing some sort of problems and you should try to get that bent back into the correct position and resoldered.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Oct 18, 2015
  11. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    I usually use my gateway card to boot my emunand instead of rxtools simply because rxtools has the absolute worst boot success rate. I literally sat here for one day for 30 minutes rebooting the system until it finally exploited properly.

12. StriderVM

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    rxTools has like a 99.9% bootrate. Are you sure you're not talking about Palantine CFW?

Zidapi likes this.
  13. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    *two years actually :rofl2:

14. tony_2018

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    The next generation flash card users are really starting to disappoint me on how they handle there own situations. Might as well give your money to "fill it in".

15. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Ive never once had RxTools fail to boot....

16. tyons
    OP

Jul 11, 2012
    Italy
    it's ironic (?). the gateway-guys didn't make firmware updates right away. I'm pretty sure the first one was several months after I bought the card, so I really couldn't know it was faulty, before that.
    moreover, even

but how can it work if the GW card can't read the microsd?

already done, I wrote it.

yeah, but the fact that putting the tape on the other pins made everything work (for a week) and that the guy who "fixed" my GW was sure he didn't touch that pin, makes me think that maybe that pin is not used or anyway is not the cause of the problem. every other function of my GW card works as it should. maybe I'll leave it as a last resort.

to the others: stop talking about refunds or buying a new one. I want to try to fix this one because I hate to waste things and money (the guy didn't make me pay for the repair). if it won't get fixed, I'll buy a new one. I already found the site to buy it from.
    about the custom firmwares: I don't wanna buy an sd card for .cias. I'd prefer to buy a new gateway (which is more reliable than CFWs, it seems).
    so yeah, talking about refunds and CFWs = being offtopic. please stop. thanks.

Last edited by tyons, Oct 19, 2015
  17. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Don't know. 3 different n3DS's all the same issue. All running 9.0 USA. Gateway boots every time though *shrug* the failures are worse attempting to boot with themehax. Booting from CN is usually better.