PoLaK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys.

I have a hardmodded Wii with an Argon chip. I'm currently on 3.4U, but I honestly see no reason NOT to upgrade except from the fact that I might not be able to install .wads anymore. I've been looking through a lot of update/downgrade tutorials, and a lot of them tell you to install cIOS and all this other nonsense which is mostly to just softmod.

Since I already have a modchip, the only thing I require is to be able to have the HBC, and the ability to install VC/WiiWare games. I was wondering what I need in order to do this. I've all ready updated my HBC, so it should not be deleted once I install 4.2U. I also have IOS16, which is how I've been installing .wads in 3.4U.

I was just wondering if there was something else I needed just to install .wads.

MagusDraco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably will need a cIOS of some sort installed, just because otherwise the holes the wad manager uses will be closed.

Now, uh as for updating to 4.2u. The best way to do that is probably using the safe updater after you make a NAND backup with bootmii. It'll just download EVERY IOS's newest version (or whatever version is downloaded when you update to 4.2 with nintendo) without downloading the stubs that would block the custom IOS spots.

It also won't overwrite your boot2 with boot2v4 (which nintendo's update does do and can potentially brick your wii).

To be able to play installed VC/Wiiware games again on the SD card menu after you update to 4.2 you'll have to sighash/trucha bug/whatever IOS70.

Easiest way to do that is DOP IOS v8 or DOP IOS Mod V6. Once you run that program from the HBC, you need to go to IOS 70 and install it again but choose to do the sig hash patch.

But you don't do that until after you're already up on system menu 4.2, and you don't upgrade system menu 4.2 until you have some revision of the cIOS installed on your Wii.

Posts merged

Also it seems that some wiis are having issues with modchips and 4.2.

They stop letting you play games out of your region or something.

Not sure if the argon has the problem but Wiikeys do (or some of them do, I don't have a chip but I've noticed people mentioning stuff like that).

MagusDraco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, do what bbking says.

But you will also need to then go and use DOP IOS V8 or DOP IOS Mod V6 and sigh hash patch IOS70 if you want to launch installed VC/WiiWare games from your sd card.

PoLaK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The thing is, from 3.2U to 3.4U, every post I read said you needed to install a cIOS, but a few only stated that I needed IOS16, which was the case.

Now I don't have any other cIOSes installed, or any other IOSes other than 16, which was required to install .wads. So I was planning to do a regular system update. And I still am since I pretty much have a virgin system.

I've checked the Argon forums, and there haven't been any reports about the chip not working anymore. So I should be pretty safe.

Does anybody know if 4.2U blocks IOS16, or if doing a regular nintendo update will delete/patch it?

Posts merged

BBking83 said:
I suggest to update the HBC and install cIOS rev14, then use this: [url=http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=184057]http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=184057[/url]

You will have wad installation function that way.

If you have modchip issues, I reckon trucha singing IOS70 will fix it up. Did for my Wiikey.

The thing is, I don't want any cIOSes on my system. I just want the bare essentials. I don't care for running them off the SD channel. I just want to be able to keep doing what I've been doing.

PoLaK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't want any cIOS. Is there a way without it?

Posts merged

BBking83 said:
Don't worry about IOS16. Just update the HBC, install cIOS rev14 (again, just to be safe): [url=http://teknoconsolas.tv/wanin/cIOS38_rev14-Installer.zip]http://teknoconsolas.tv/wanin/cIOS38_rev14-Installer.zip[/url] and use the safe updater.

EDIT: If you didn't know, Wadmanager needs cIOS rev14 to run. The update will overwrite/stub everything necessary/unecessary.

It's been working fine for me without it. But are you saying that 4.2U will delete whatever it was running on before?

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PoLaK said:
I don't want any cIOS. Is there a way without it?

Posts merged

BBking83 said:
Don't worry about IOS16. Just update the HBC, install cIOS rev14 (again, just to be safe): [url=http://teknoconsolas.tv/wanin/cIOS38_rev14-Installer.zip]http://teknoconsolas.tv/wanin/cIOS38_rev14-Installer.zip[/url] and use the safe updater.

EDIT: If you didn't know, Wadmanager needs cIOS rev14 to run. The update will overwrite/stub everything necessary/unecessary.

It's been working fine for me without it.
cIOS is what makes WAD manager work correctly, why wouldnt you want it?
its not like you lose anything installing it, your just enhancing your wii with extra features it didnt have before.

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
PoLaK said:
It's been working fine for me without it. But are you saying that 4.2U will delete whatever it was running on before?
*sigh*
glare.gif

You would have had some type/version of cIOS installed to install wads...

If you don't want the advice, update it officially.

PoLaK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because from what I've heard/read it cripples your Wii and makes updating a very tedious and dangerous task.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PoLaK said:
Because from what I've heard/read it cripples your Wii and makes updating a very tedious and dangerous task.
you going to trust what you heard instead of what your hearing right now?

PoLaK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BBking83 said:
I just offered you a very untedious and dagerous method to be on 4.2 with evertying you want working...

It'll work fine for now. But I just prefer to not mess around with my wii more than I have to.

And I read from the main HBC site that cIOS aren't the best things. I'm sure that they have legal obligations to also say that cIOSes are bad because it indirectly promotes piracy, but they also most, if not all, of the IOSes inside out, so I think I'll take their word for it.

I'm just wondering if this cIOS is absolutely necessary, or if there's an alternative, safer fix.

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
PoLaK said:
I'm just wondering if this cIOS is absolutely necessary, or if there's an alternative, safer fix.
Of course it isn'tnecessary but if you want to continue using Wadmamanger, like you stated in your OP, it is...

MagusDraco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is not an alternative.

At least not one that involves you never putting the cIOS on your wii.

The reason for that is the later updates to the wii patch the IOSes to close the exploit used to let you install wads to your wii.

The Safe updater 4.2 updates all the legit IOSes just like how the regular 4.2 update does, just without putting stubs in the cIOS spots or flashing your boot2 to boot2v4 (which again, has the potential to brick ANY wii...'cause nintendo's boot2 updating code is really bad).

So you need to put a cIOS on your wii if you wanna continue to have the ability to install WADs.

I'm sure there's some way to re-open up the hole in some of the official IOSes later on after you get setup, but you'd still need the cIOS installed to do that.

Finally the talk on the HBC mainly refers to CIOSCORP which is guts all the IOSes on your wii and can screw things up (ok...maybe not that badly but still, its not the best way to run backups with a softmod in my opinion). cIOS is just an IOS placed into spot 249 that can be used to boot burned games from a loader app or install wads, etc and so forth.

But it is not used by the system menu or anything like that so won't mess up the wii (unless you're dumb enough to point the wii's system menu towards the cIOS somehow. Then...bad things could happen).

PoLaK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MagusDraco said:
There is not an alternative.

At least not one that involves you never putting the cIOS on your wii.

The reason for that is the later updates to the wii patch the IOSes to close the exploit used to let you install wads to your wii.

The Safe updater 4.2 updates all the legit IOSes just like how the regular 4.2 update does, just without putting stubs in the cIOS spots or flashing your boot2 to boot2v4 (which again, has the potential to brick ANY wii...'cause nintendo's boot2 updating code is really bad).

So you need to put a cIOS on your wii if you wanna continue to have the ability to install WADs.

I'm sure there's some way to re-open up the hole in some of the official IOSes later on after you get setup, but you'd still need the cIOS installed to do that.

Finally the talk on the HBC mainly refers to CIOSCORP which is guts all the IOSes on your wii and can screw things up (ok...maybe not that badly but still, its not the best way to run backups with a softmod in my opinion). cIOS is just an IOS placed into spot 249 that can be used to boot burned games from a loader app or install wads, etc and so forth.

But it is not used by the system menu or anything like that so won't mess up the wii (unless you're dumb enough to point the wii's system menu towards the cIOS somehow. Then...bad things could happen).

Ok thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Green name speaks true :P