Gaming Hardest Tactics/SRPG/RPG on the DS?

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious of what you guys think is the hardest of those 3 on the DS
for me, Hoshigami Remix will always be the hardest SRPG, followed by Etrian Oddysey 1/2, and The Dark Spire

SoulAnger

MENUdo's Developer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If your into american/DnD style rpgs and homebrew.
tongue.gif
Nethack! ^^

Oh wait that's Rogue-like. Oh well, the Shiren series are quite hard also. ^^

Mylar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulAnger said:
If your into american/DnD style rpgs and homebrew.
tongue.gif
Nethack! ^^

Oh wait that's Rogue-like. Oh well, the Shiren series are quite hard also. ^^

Dear lord...

I've spent years.... YEARS lurking these forums, but never needed to make an account...

Search is my friend, and any question I had was already asked answered and discussed.

Today I finally made an account, just to thank you.

I just came from the "lasting appeal" thread thinking "I'd post nethack, but they are talking about DS games"

I saw the subject of this thread, and clicked on the it thinking "too bad he specifies DS, or the answer would be nethack for his thread too"

I saw the line quoted above and was at first a dick... I thought, "the subject specifically states >DS< games, why is this guy bringing up nethack?" I was a little bitter, because I had the same thought, but this was a DS thread...

Then it finally dawned on me and I googled "nethack DS port"

OMFG

I've been playing nethack for so long either just offline vanilla or on NAO that I have not had reason to look for it anywhere else.

Thank you for posting, I'd have never thought to look for a DS port of nethack, and the world would be a slightly sadder place for it. (sorry I was a dick to you in my head for ~10seconds before the dawning revelation)

My wife will be very annoyed with me when she looks over my shoulder and I'm @ on the DS.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't get much more difficult than Etrian Odyssey.

Dark Spire is a difficult old-school RPG.

GreatJustice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Valkyrie Profile on the DS can be unforgiving.

If you do what I did and go through Path A first, and not sacrifice anyone (which is not usually recommended, because the sacrifice skills are very good and make path A hella easy second play, not counting all the gear you keep).

Tell me if you get through the mission where you protect Natalia without the AI being stupid first turn and getting killed. Took me 20-ish tries to get through that, another 10 from dying due to a screw up during the following turns getting her killed anyways.

Excellentnuke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
I've only been playing it for a week, but thus far Shin Megami Tensei (Devil Survivor) is giving me a real run for my money.
If you keep your demons up to date (Use the Search feature in Fusion to see the newest demons you can make) and make the MC a magic nuke (High magic and agility), the game is cake. Playing on New Game + makes the game kinda tedious, though.

I haven't been playing long, but Etrian Odyssey and Dark Spire are extremely challenging. The dungeon crawler aspect of the game along with the MMO-style skill builds make Etrian Odyssey the most challenging DS game I've played so far. I quit Dark Spire until I get around to finishing Etrian Odyssey since Etrian Odyssey is easier and will give me more experience with dungeon crawlers.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dgwillia said:
Just curious of what you guys think is the hardest of those 3 on the DS
for me, Hoshigami Remix will always be the hardest SRPG, followed by Etrian Oddysey 1/2, and The Dark Spire

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who thought Hoshigami Remix is one of the harder ones on the DS.
smile.gif

swornsecrets

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rondo Of Swords was rather unforgiving, and made my blood run white hot many times but I got through it eventually. I think thats the hardest SRPG I've played outside of Valkyrie Profile.

Isabelyes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Rayder said:
It doesn't get much more difficult than Etrian Odyssey.

Dark Spire is a difficult old-school RPG.

Actually, I think SMT:DS is way harder than EO and TDS.

in EO, you could grind your way through the game.
also, in EO I there were these kick-ass ways to play the game, the best of which is found in a topic discussing EO II here, at gbatemp.

In TDS...well, it is hard, but you could just save and reload etc, and bosses were ridicoulously easy.

SMT:DS, however has:

An Experience limit: For some reason, my Hero gets 30 EXP from a fight that would give my team mates 300 exp.
this makes grinding almost impossible.

EDIT 3: FF4 is awesome, too.
And you should try out SMT:SJ. It's coming out on ten MArch, 2010, but it's playable in japanese, too, if you can't stand the wait.
Also, TWEWY. not particularly hard, but it's really awesome.

also, the enemies love status effects way more then EO's enemies.
you also have to worry about weaknesses a lot more then in EO I/II, and Status effects were almost no-existant in TDS.

Getting on-topic, though: EO I/II, TDS, and SMT:DS are excellent games.
Love the former three and currently getting my ass handed to me in the latter.

If you've already played those games, however (and you appearantly have),
then I can't help you, as I can't think of any really difficult DS games other then these four.

EDIT: also, you're axtremely awesome if you liked these games.
no kidding dude, you've got more balls than 9/10 of all gbatempers here.
check the threads of EO I/II and TDS: people are bashing those games due to their "difficulty",
and call it shit because they can't handle the fact there is an enemy wandering around that isn't meant to be attacked,
but to be avoided.

EDIT 2: oops, just checked your backloggery, and it says you've already started SMT:DS.
Have fun, then, and don't forget EO II and TDS!

EDIT 3: FF4 is hard,too.
just like SMT:SJ. it's coming out on 10 march, 2010, but it's really playable in Japanese if you can't stand the wait.
Also, try TWEWY. not particularly hard, but it's really awesome

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, Etrian Oddesey 1/2 is way harder than SMT, sure i have lost quite a few battles in SMT, but nothing sucks more than losing 2+ hours worth of dungeon time because you accidentally run into a T-Rex F.O.E you didnt see coming mid dungeon.

And Hoshigami was hard because of the fact the battles last unholy amounts of time, and one screwup could cost you the whole thing. (I find it funny that the ONE time i was about to get past the one battle that cost me 10+ hours of playtime, i accidentally dropped my DS in glee, and it froze right before i could save).

TWEWY wasnt hard at all, nor did it attract me much, so i never got that far into it.

And FF3 is way harder than 4 to me, mainly due to the fact that the bosses can literally attack 4+ times in a row before you can even heal or counter. I played FF4 on hard and beat it in less than a week, i still have yet to beat FF3 on normal.

And seriously, just because a game is hard doesnt mean it sucks, Fire Emblem practically defines hard, and i love the game to death, and EO2 despite its rage inducing deaths, still is insanely fun (I still remember when i overgrinded about 2+ hours before i fought that Chimera boss, only to 1 hit KO it with Eschaton)

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dwight said:
Etrian Odyssey isn't hard, it just requires a shit load of grinding.

FRONT MISSION IS A GREAT OVERLOOKED SRPG GIVE IT A TRY.

I played Front Mission, and I liked it. I never finished it because I got side tracked.
frown.gif

You need to fix your caps key Dwight.
wink.gif

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterl500 said:
Dwight said:
Etrian Odyssey isn't hard, it just requires a shit load of grinding.

FRONT MISSION IS A GREAT OVERLOOKED SRPG GIVE IT A TRY.

I played Front Mission, and I liked it. I never finished it because I got side tracked.
frown.gif

You need to fix your caps key Dwight.
wink.gif
Well it seems to grab people's attention so it's doing it's job lol

Isabelyes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
dgwillia said:
Dude, Etrian Oddesey 1/2 is way harder than SMT, sure i have lost quite a few battles in SMT, but nothing sucks more than losing 2+ hours worth of dungeon time because you accidentally run into a T-Rex F.O.E you didnt see coming mid dungeon.

And Hoshigami was hard because of the fact the battles last unholy amounts of time, and one screwup could cost you the whole thing. (I find it funny that the ONE time i was about to get past the one battle that cost me 10+ hours of playtime, i accidentally dropped my DS in glee, and it froze right before i could save).

TWEWY wasnt hard at all, nor did it attract me much, so i never got that far into it.

And FF3 is way harder than 4 to me, mainly due to the fact that the bosses can literally attack 4+ times in a row before you can even heal or counter. I played FF4 on hard and beat it in less than a week, i still have yet to beat FF3 on normal.

And seriously, just because a game is hard doesnt mean it sucks, Fire Emblem practically defines hard, and i love the game to death, and EO2 despite its rage inducing deaths, still is insanely fun (I still remember when i overgrinded about 2+ hours before i fought that Chimera boss, only to 1 hit KO it with Eschaton)

Hmmm, I can see why you'd think SMT is harder.
it's just that I probably suck at strategy games...

In case you were talking to me, I didn't think TWEWY was hard either.
Never really played ff3 though.

Also (if you weren't talking to me, then please ignore this), I love hard games.
there's just an incredible amount of gamers that doesn't.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you try and get the best ending on your first playthrough, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume is absurdly hard.

It's very easy otherwise, though.

anaxs

got milk, got candy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i never think of the difficulty level of a game, i always think of how fun it is but i dnt like a game to be too easy
out of the games you listed, hoshigami remix is definetly the hardest and most challenging of its kind. Also, try luminous arc 1 and 2
they're awesome and fun games, also just under a hard level game

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    He is now fishy.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sak is a fishy pineapple
    Have a good night everyone.
    i'm getting sleepy.
    So much drinking from @K3Nv2
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    Veho @ Veho: California has already banned those additives BTW.