Hard drive woes...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, Oct 23, 2007.

Oct 23, 2007

Hard drive woes... by Harsky at 4:17 PM (673 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Last year, I bought a media player:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...LAYER&doy=23m10

Basic premises is that you stick a spare HDD into it, add a few movie into it and then you can play on a TV. It worked very well with my 80gb Samsung HDD until I realise I need more space so when I saw a Seagate 200gb HDD for sale, I snapped it up.

At first, I just bunged all the movie into it and it played perfectly on my TV as normal but when I connect it to a PC to reorganise the files like creating a new folder and sorting the movies by genre, it would take forever and then it would give an error message. Worse was I can't transfer the movie out.

Now, the media player says the HDD has to be formatted to FAT32 to be read. I'm starting to wonder if something like this is the cause of this happening?

2. pikachucrackpipe

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    do you have it as ntfs or ext2/3 right now?

you can always change the partition with the correct tools.

3. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I gave up on the 200gb HDD idea now and just formatted it as NTFS to get rid of all the data. Now I'm just storing it back in a box as a spare part if I get another PC. Put my 80GB HDD back into the player, copied movies and it works without any problem at all.

Dammit, I had to learn twice that computer products and Ebay are never a good idea.

4. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    Why not just reformat it and try again. if it has to be fat32, you'll need to use partition magic on it to get the full 200 gigs.

5. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    It's not the space problem. It's the fact when I tried to copy the files from the HDD to my PC, it refuses to do so when my 80GB HDD can copy and even, move the files to different folders within it without any problem.

6. pikachucrackpipe

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    no just make sure lba32 is enabled.q