Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by SchplatJR, Jun 1, 2010.

Jun 1, 2010

Hard Drive Problem by SchplatJR at 7:34 PM (880 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. SchplatJR
    OP

Newcomer SchplatJR Newbie

United States
    I have a "Iomega Desktop Hard Drive 500 GB Hi-Speed USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - 33654" and I look through the compatibility chart and am not able to find if my drive works or not based on the chart.
    Whenever I try to plug it into my Wii to format it to work with backup games, it will turn off even though the power switch is still in the ON spot. This drive works perfectly on my computer, but I'm still trying to figure out why it won't work on my Wii. Any suggestions?

2. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    why are y trying to format it using your wii, that's what computer are for

chances are u are out of luck and own an incompatible hard drive. Go grab a WD My Passport, they are GREAT drives

3. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    As it says "Desktop hard drive" I assume it has an external power supply, 3.5" HDDs can't run from USB power alone. Is this plugged in?

4. SchplatJR
    OP

Newcomer SchplatJR Newbie

United States
    Yes, it is plugged in to the outlet.
    I'm trying to format it on my wii because the USB loader by waninkoko won't use anything but WBFS and I can't get my computer to format my drive as WBFS, only as NTFS

5. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    thats what programs like wiibackupmanager is for

and seriously, ur using wanin's old usb loader?

try configurable usb loader instead, and I would format the drive as fat32 if i were u

6. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    If you use Waninkoko's old Usb loader, you will find nothing but trouble especially if you let it format your harddrive [​IMG]

I had to re-reformat my harddrive to get wiibackupmanager to find the wbfs partition. Apparently if you use Wanin's loader to format it your computer won't be able to read it even with backupmanager