Hard Drive Problem? - Making a Copy of a working External HardDrive!

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by Steamy Beast, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Steamy Beast
    OP

Steamy Beast Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2015
    So to cut a long story short.

I have been using my Wii U for homebrew Mega Drive, Gamecube, Wii Games etc. with no problems. However, despite having a Y-cable to power the Hard Drive, it would often freeze due to lack of power.

To prevent this I bought a 2TB Seagate Expansion Desktop, which is self powered. Now I have noticed that this is recommended by Nintendo.

I formatted the drive to Fat32, which I believe is the same as my old drive, and I copied a few of the files across to test if it works. I have also tested with NTSC.

I am still using the Y cable and hard drive is also plugged into the power socket. I enter the VWii and click on the Homebrew Channel. I get nothing but bubbles. Now on my original drive all my apps would appear straight away. I figured out that if I press on I can select USB or SD. I select USB and everytime I get the black screen titled "Exception (DSI) occurred!". I have to unplug the power from Wii U at this point. I can't figure out what the problem is.

Any help would be much appreciated. I just want to make a copy of my original hard drive.

Thanks In Advance.

2. balteck

balteck Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2015
    Italy
    First of all you don't need the Y cable for an external HDD with own power supply.
    Use a straight USB cable instead.

Do you have also a WiiU formatted HDD connected?

Inviato dal mio HTC One M9 utilizzando Tapatalk

3. Steamy Beast
    OP

Steamy Beast Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. I replaced the cable with a normal cable and the same problem. I do have a formatted HD for my WII U games, but it is not currently connected to the system.

4. balteck

balteck Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2015
    Italy
    What type of partition type do you have?

MBR or GPT?

5. Steamy Beast
    OP

Steamy Beast Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. From what I can it is GPT? My original drive is MBR? Is this an issue and is it possible to change?

6. balteck

balteck Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2015
    Italy
  7. Steamy Beast
    OP

Steamy Beast Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2015
    You my friend ar
    You my friend are a legend. It worked. Thanks. Now I just need to figure out how to sucessfully burn PS2 games haha.

8. balteck

balteck Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2015
    Italy
    Use HDloader or OPL (it is the best for me), attach an HD and forget about burning...