Hard Drive partitioning screwed up on windows 98 because of ubunu

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by bubbalv29, Jul 24, 2009.

1. bubbalv29
    OP

Newcomer bubbalv29 Member

United States
    ok, so i installed ubuntu on my old windows 98 computer, all i needed ubuntu for was using it with removable drives and things, like my cell phone, i installed it and everything went well, but then, after a couple months, my windows installation crashed and i had to reinstall, but windows wouldn't detect its partition, so i tried formatting my entire hard drive with ubuntu, which it did, only leaving out about 2gb of space, then when i reinstalled windows, it only displayed that i have a 7 GB harddirve, which is entirely wrong, any help

2. Strider

Member Strider Next to the mainstream

Woah, careful with the blame. Hold it back until you know what's going on.

Ok, so let's get this straight. You were formatting (a) partition(s), not physical harddrives. Do I understand correctly what you intended to create a partition for ubuntu, leaving 2gb room for W98. now W98 telly you the partition or harddisk is 7gb in size?

Tell us what

fdisk -l /dev/sda
    (maybe /dev/hda)

says in ubuntu. It shows the partition table, we might help you with that.

Hmm, I'm also wondering about that 'windows crashed and had to be reinstalled' part. Was just windows screwed up, or was it a serious crash or maybe even (a possibly recoverable) harddrive issue? Assuming the latter, you might have to overwrite the first few sectors of the harddisk (WARNING! ALL DATA GONE THEN!) with linux for windows to recognize it again correctly. However, all that depends on what you answer.

3. bubbalv29
    OP

United States
    ok there was a 15 GB harddrive, i already had windows installed and hwne i went into ubuntu installation, i partitioned a 2 GB partition for ubuntu, i wasn't going to use that partition for anything but booting ubuntu, i was going to use ubuntu to access my windows 98 partition, just so i could load content onto my cell phone and other removable media that i couldn't get a driver for, but when my windows installation crashed and it wouldn't recognize my harddrive, i reinstalled ubuntu and choose the use entire dard drive option, so it reformatted the entire thing, except the 2 gb partition it was originally installed on, which it was still able to read, so i then tried installed windows over it, by again formatting, which worked, but left me with a 7 GB hard drive

edit: i no longer have ubuntu installed, sorry if i wasn't clear about that, if you need my to, i can find my live cd

4. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    Seems to me you should just delete all partitions on your hard drive (find a boot CD that can do this - Hiren's Boot CD works nicely), reformat it completely, and then repartition according to your needs.
    And 2 gigs for Ubuntu? Damn, how did you manage? The Ubuntu CD says itself it needs at least 6 gigs to work properly! [​IMG]

5. Strider

It's a 15GB HDD, so at first you had.

13 GB Windows
    2 GB Ubuntu

Then Windows wouldn't reinstall. You installed ubuntu and let it repartition everything besides the 2GB partition on itself.

If I got that correctly Ubuntu easily created not one but a few partitions in that 13 GB space and the 7GB 'hard drive' you're speaking of is only one of those.

Formatting does not change the patitioning.

Again, please boot ubuntu or any linux distribution and tell us what 'fdisk -l /dev/sda' says.

If, and only if there is no relevant data on the harddisk and you just want to reinstall windows, I can tell you how to make the HDD appear brand-new to the windows installer.

@Skyline969 - he doesn't need any special boot cd for that. Any linux and dd works just fine for that.

6. bubbalv29
    OP

United States
    that sounds possible to me, the only problem is that it didn't give me an option to do anything with the 2 gb partition, i'll boot up into the live cd and tell you what fdisk says, but one problem, could you tell me how you know, get to it, i'm not very linux oriented

7. Strider

You can just boot up ubuntu with the installation CD/DVD, and within GNOME (the GUI) you should easily find a 'terminal' in the menu, there you can input what I asked, and even completely clean the disk if required.

8. bubbalv29
    OP

United States
    alright, i'll post what it comes up with, but i don't want to clean the disk, i have to much on it that i can't back up at the time