Hard Drive Issues

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by rafb, Aug 5, 2009.

Aug 5, 2009

Hard Drive Issues by rafb at 10:09 PM (1,041 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. rafb
    OP

Newcomer rafb Advanced Member

United States
    thanks to this forum and yafaze.com after 2 weeks of messing with my system i finally had everything working fine.
    here are my specs...

Wii info: LU36, 4.0U (Virgin), Bootmii, Preloader, cIOS38 rev13

HBC, Homebrew Browser, USB Loader (r707), NeoGamma R4, Wwestern Digital 1T, Backup Launcher 0.3

I decided that western 1T was a waste of space so i bought Hitachi 640 GB, after about a week or so all of my games began to shot down, wii stopped playing all of my back ups one by one, i would start the game it would only show the "connect the nunchucks screen" and then freeze, now it doesn't even do that, but freezes as soon as i start the game, just goes to the black screen and that happens on both USB Loader and NeoGamma. I switched back to Western Digital but no results.

I back up a game to hard drive via USB Loader, it plays it for a day or so and then nothing, out of 30+ games only one works.

Any idea what is happening?

Any HELP would be much appreciated!!!

2. EndlessDiversity

Newcomer EndlessDiversity Member

New Zealand
    Put your HDD to your PC and do Scan, normally all HDD has S.M.A.R.T scan or something similar. if its not enabled, then you should go to your pc bios to enable it. it should show the status before you load your OS.

if it failed maybe thats the cause.

3. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    Have you tried the latest cIOS and a different loader?

4. rafb
    OP

United States

How can you scan Hard drive used for Wii on PC??? once you format it with WBFS Manager it become unreadable by PC.

5. rafb
    OP

United States

i fought about this, but most importantly i would like to figure out why this happened in a first place, everything was working just fine and then all of a sudden i changed my hard drive and shit hit the fan and now i cant reverse it back

6. DGenerateKane

Member DGenerateKane GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I suggest a different loader. I was using GX but had several games work during one revision and then freeze after updating GX for the billionth time. I use CFG and games that froze in GX work just fine in CFG.

7. EtherealX

Member EtherealX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You can't do a smart scan on a WBFS partition. You can do some common sense math to try to guess, though. You said one game works.. was it one of the first games you put on the drive?

What drive model do you have? My Books are kind of infamous for dying.. complete shit drive, to be honest. I had bad results with Hitachi drives as WBFS -- just ungodly slow compared to better drives with higher cache mbs.

How did you format the WBFS in the first place -- did it take long to format? SMART failing drives will take a few minutes to format.. (while it should only take a few seconds.) What you could do is use WBFS Manager and export games that are failing on you.. if it crashes, then you can pretty much refer to Post#2 (your drive is dying.)

8. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    Not all drives are compatible, so changing a drive could show different results. Simply changing the drive shouldn't modify or alter the actual functioning of the loader, ever. If you're using USB Loader GX, try deleting the "config" folder at the root of your sd/usb every time you update to a newer revision. Sometimes features are added that don't work properly with the old config, and it causes problems. It could also be that your drive has standby mode, where it becomes inactive when not accessed for a period of time.

9. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada
    Your using an old version that has the delete game bug.

if u deleted a game in older versions it would corrupt the data when u installed a new one . reformat,then use a new loader + the newest CIOS.