Hard Drive in fat PS2 goes slow after 2 weeks of use

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Troll1011, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Troll1011
    OP

Troll1011 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2018
    United Kingdom
    The hard drive was used for 7 years in a computer. It was never very slow, but when i put in a ps2. I was transferring file at a pretty slow speed from a usb. I know using a USB is slow. 2 Weeks later i was transferring files again from a usb half way through it had a large drop from one speed to 700Kbytes/sec.
    Another problem while transferring files from usb it freezes half way through.
    I formatted it in winhiip and it is a 1TB HDD.

Last edited by Troll1011, Apr 13, 2019
  2. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    PS2 USB is 1.1, so yes, it's gonna be slow.

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. Trollface1011

Trollface1011 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Sorry I am on alt but it went slower than it usually is and it froze while it was half way moving files.

4. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBA Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Hello.:)

Yes thats an possible sign of an failing HDD.:unsure:
    Can you please try it on your PC ? Format/writing an big amount of Data on it ?

Thank you.:)

5. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    If it's a fat why not use a sata drive network card of ebay for like 10 bucks instead of using usb. Really don't get why people keep using USB on a fat when the network adapters are dirtcheap

6. Troll1011
    OP

Troll1011 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Actually I am using a SATA Hard drive and moving files from a usb thumb drive.
    I don't really want to test the HDD as it has game backups for OPL. Because it is formatted to PS2(I think that is the name) i can't access the files.

Last edited by Troll1011, Apr 19, 2019
  7. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    But why transfer files from a thumb drive when you can connect your HDD external to a PC and add the games that way ?

8. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Use hdl_dump or WinHiip to transfer games from PS2 HDD to your PC.

9. Troll1011
    OP

Troll1011 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I will do that when I get time. It takes some time to take the Hard drive out and open your PC and connect the cables and put the files and then open it again and take the hard drive out and connect it.

alexander1970 likes this.
  10. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    Erm...The PS2 uses USB 1.1, if you want faster transfer speed do your file transfer using FTP.

11. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Well i have an HDD bay that i have connected so when i need to transfer files to an HDD i just use that

12. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    you can't just connect it to a pc and expect any os to understand the pfs file system the ps2 uses.
    he is transfering files to a partition, not game isos.

13. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Oh god, there are programs that work with the file system the ps2 uses. Have you even used a HDD for a ps2 ? The only files you want to transfer to the ps2 besides games are small files. All the programs that work on the ps2 are super small so they take no time installing through usb. He's clearly talking about transferring games wich logically you would do through the PC. Installing a game to your ps2 HDD from the pc takes less then a couple of minutes.

14. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Then he must be talking about PS1 vcds (which are handled as generic files) - there's no software, to the best of my knowledge, to install PS2 games from USB to HDD...

15. Sakitoshi

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    I know, I have a ps2 with an ide drive.
    and that's why I also know that you can't install ps2 games from usb, so he is clearly talking about something else, maybe he is transferring ps1 games in vcd format which are larger than a megabyte and will take a while to transfer even through ftp, which isn't much better than usb in terms of speed and with worse reliability.

but, I forgot about a command line tool called pfs shell, he can use that to transfer directly on the pc if he is confortable enough writing commands.

16. Troll1011
    OP

Troll1011 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Before the PS2 started freezing i was moving PS1 games, that was alright. But when I started moving PS2 games it started freezing and I am pretty sure that the PS2 freezes when it is moving big files. Yes I do know that I can use programs to move ps2 games over but I did state below that I don't have time to put the hard drive on PC. I am not on windows anymore as well, I am now on linux. I am a complete noob at PS2 homebrew. The adapter I got for SATA hard drives does not have an Ethernet port so no luck on ftp.

The main point of this post was that I was wondering why did transferring files started going slower than usual(It was slow originally as it was usb 1.1 ports) after some use and I need help with my freezing problems so I am going to connect my hard drive to PC but I still need answers.

17. Sakitoshi

May 8, 2012
    Chile
  18. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    Why not just transfer over Ethernet?

kumikochan likes this.
  19. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Yeah ethernet does have faster speeds but the chinese Sata loaders don't have a working network port i think. Not 100 percent sure of that, i have one but never used ethernet myself but that's what i heard