Hard disk gameplay

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by 3DPiper, Feb 10, 2007.

Feb 10, 2007

Hard disk gameplay by 3DPiper at 6:00 AM (1,440 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. 3DPiper
    OP

Member 3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I read on other websites about the "WiiLoader, HD Advance and/or Wii Independence Exploit, because it allows the user to install a hard drive, and copy the contents of original game DVD discs to this hard drive. At this point you no longer require the original DVD or even a modchip to play the games from the hard drive installed into the Wii" but I can't find any other info about it.. Can you really hook up a hard disk full of Wii/GC backups and play straight from the hard drive? If it's possible I'd love to know how..

-Matthew

2. TheVirus

Member TheVirus GBAtemp Fan

Uganda
    Unless the Wii has built in functionality to read from HDDs, I don't see how this is possible. These seems very sketchy, at best, and is more than likely a fake, but I'd love to be wrong.

3. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    From what I can tell only one website uses the phrase "Wii Independence Exploit" and I think they may be referring to that exploit on the PS2.

I think this exploit is theoretical at best for the Wii at this stage in the game. If it were anything else I'm sure there would be a news story on GBAtemp covering it. That would be huger news than the modchips.

4. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yeah, after looking closer at some of the statements there I believe that some of that is canned response from knowledge of other consoles current hacking state, and the rest is outdated information about the current state of Wii hacking.

Modchips? What are those? I haven't heard of either one...

http://www.wii-modchips.com/

5. ditto_n

Member ditto_n GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That site is a scam, using the names of ps2 exploits and gc mods to trick people into thinking the same exists for the Wii.

6. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Can you call it a scam if they're not selling anything? I didn't see that you could buy anything from them. It might just be giving off info for what could be in store for the Wii.

7. 3DPiper
    OP

Member 3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So at this point the Wiinja is our only choice (until the Wiikey comes out)?

If hard disk play does come about, you can always just unsolder your modchip, right?

-Matthew

8. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    The Wii has USB. Can't it use that to run isos from the HDD? The PS2 can.

9. kobewan

Member kobewan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The site is full of crap.

10. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The site makes money off of advertisements. Type in "wii modchip" on google and see what comes up. It's one of the first links, not only for the keywords, but also because people keep linking it on sites like this [​IMG]

(i own it btw so thank you)

11. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    It's a very strange site, as are the other sites linked from it. I've came across these kinds of sites before (which are cut and pasted into website templates) and have never understood them. They don't seem to have any adverts on them either so I don't understand their purpose.