Hardware Hard brick,two black screen and display nothing, show bright backlight but no sound, help!

jason05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
no nand backup!no nand backup!
It's not SD card file missing
My 3DSLL has two black screens on whatever key combination I press, both of which have the background light on but no images, black, and no sound.
It wasn't a hardware failure, because everything worked fine after I replaced another normal motherboard. I also tried to import the NAND backup of another normal machine into this BRICK through HARDMOD and it would boot up the blue screen,Error: bootrom 8046。I tried ntrboot, but it didn't work. two screen was always black. I suspect that the firm partition is damaged, but I don't know how to modify it. Who can give me some advice

Last edited by jason05,
D

Deleted User

You can't use a NAND dump from another console because they are encrypted. Try the ntrboot method again.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Repair the 3DS firmware + custom firmware with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer. Carefully read and follow the Instructions.
Maybe tell the guy how to do CTRTransfer when the only thing he can get into is a blank screen?

Last edited by ,

jason05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
He is able to and knows how to launch a .FIRM payload through the ntrboot method. Unless he states otherwise, he's capable of accessing GodMode9 on his own.
@dwain12435 well done! @TurdPooCharger what dwain12435 said is exactly what I want to ask. I know that the way to access GodMode9 is to press start+ Prower Button normally, but my 3DS now has two black screen and backlight no matter what key I press, so I cannot access GodMode9 or any other mode(Of course, there may be combinations of buttons I don't know about). I didn't describe the situation clearly before, I said That I had tried ntrboot and that it didn't work meaning that I was using the ntrboot method but there were two black screens ,too.
Therefore, I suspect that the only way to unbrick is dumping the image from the brick by hardmod then modify it with another 3DS or computer before writing it back to the brick. But I didn't succeed because I simply replace the code starting 0x0B130000 with length 0x00400000 used the hexadecimal editor.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@dwain12435 well done! @TurdPooCharger what dwain12435 said is exactly what I want to ask. I know that the way to access GodMode9 is to press start+ Prower Button normally, but my 3DS now has two black screen and backlight no matter what key I press, so I cannot access GodMode9 or any other mode(Of course, there may be combinations of buttons I don't know about). I didn't describe the situation clearly before, I said That I had tried ntrboot and that it didn't work meaning that I was using the ntrboot method but there were two black screens ,too.
Therefore, I suspect that the only way to unbrick is dumping the image from the brick by hardmod then modify it with another 3DS or computer before writing it back to the brick. But I didn't succeed because I simply replace the code starting 0x0B130000 with length 0x00400000 used the hexadecimal editor.
You are not going to be opening gm9 that way with a botched 3ds. Ntrboot will launch before whatever is in the 3ds setup thats causing the screens to stay black. Yes. ntrboot is a pain to get working but it will work even with your 3ds as it is.

jason05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
You are not going to be opening gm9 that way with a botched 3ds. Ntrboot will launch before whatever is in the 3ds setup thats causing the screens to stay black. Yes. ntrboot is a pain to get working but it will work even with your 3ds as it is.
Sorry, I didn't understand. Do you mean it's normal for me to have two black screen when I use the ntrboot method to save bricks? And I should still use ntrboot to solve my current problem? But I used to use ntrboot to complete b9s . It will have a menu with black background and white font. But now nothing appears, I can't do the next step

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I didn't understand. Do you mean it's normal for me to have two black screen when I use the ntrboot method to save bricks? And I should still use ntrboot to solve my current problem? But I used to use ntrboot to complete b9s . It will have a menu with black background and white font. But now nothing appears, I can't do the next step
Have you ever hacked a 2DS/3DS system with the ntrboot method where you...?
  • Reflashed a compatible DS flashcart to ntrboot mode.
    • If successful, the game icon [ Konami Digital Entertainment | Touch! Bomberman Land | Spongebob Squarepants: Atlantis Squarepantis ] will not show up on HOME Menu.
    • Only flashcart models listed in that ntrboot page will work. If you do not have one on that list, then it is not ntrboot compatible and cannot be used.
  • Reformatted the (micro)SD card in [ FAT32 format | 32 KB cluster size | MBR disk | Primary partition ] settings.
    • This refers to the SD card that's inserted into the 2DS/3DS system. Not the microSD that goes in the DS flashcart.
    • Don't know how to reformat the SD card in the correct settings? Quadruple Reformat
  • Added a .FIRM payload to the root of the SD card.
    • sdmc:/boot.firm
    • The ntrboot guide usually calls for the SafeB9SInstaller to be the boot.firm
    • For unbricking purposes, you can rename and substitute in place GodMode9.
    • GodMode9.firmboot.firm
  • Used a {strong enough} magnet to put the 2DS/3DS in sleep mode, * turned on the system, and then pressed and held the [ (Start) + (Select) + (X) + (Power) ] button combo for several seconds (up to ~10s)?
    • If you ever saw this screen before from first time hacking with the ntrboot method, this is what you are greeted with:
    • This is what you are greeted with when hacking by ntrboot,
    • 268eb20a304e251f3197ab1da986c9177e3e5329.jpg

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
D

Deleted User

He is able to and knows how to launch a .FIRM payload through the ntrboot method. Unless he states otherwise, he's capable of accessing GodMode9 on his own.
He did state otherwise in his first post:
I tried ntrboot, but it didn't work.
This implies that he is currently unable to launch FIRM payloads through ntrboot.

Last edited by ,

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He did state otherwise in his first post: This implies that he can't launch FIRM paylods through ntrboot.
if he cant, that kinda implies his system would be utterly screwed. Ntrboot itself can be very finicky and tricky to get to work. people have tried over 40 times before it works. A lot just say it dont work when its something that will.

Reactions: fmkid

jason05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Have you ever hacked a 2DS/3DS system with the ntrboot method where you...?
  • Reflashed a compatible DS flashcart to ntrboot mode.
  • Reformatted the (micro)SD card in [ FAT32 format | 32 KB cluster size | MBR disk | Primary partition ] settings.
  • Added a .FIRM payload to the root of the SD card.
  • Used a {strong enough} magnet to put the 2DS/3DS in sleep mode, * turned on the system, and then pressed and held the [ (Start) + (Select) + (X) + (Power) ] button combo for several seconds (up to ~10s)?
    • SafeB9SInstaller menu

I've done it, but it's still two black screens that don't show anything. I believe DS flashcart is good, because I have used it to invade two 3DSS with 11.4 or upper systems. When this DS flashcart is used on a good 3DS, it can also show things on your pictures.
I suspect something at the Underlying is broken, like the bootloader of a mobile phone . so,Is there any other way to try? please....

He did state otherwise in his first post: This implies that he can't launch FIRM paylods through ntrboot.
yes,always two black screen

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I've done it, but it's still two black screens that don't show anything. I believe DS flashcart is good, because I have used it to invade two 3DSS with 11.4 or upper systems.
Then, if there's no definitely change on that, perharps would have to consider a hardware type failure (and, in that case, only a hardware checking/repairing or a motherboard change it could be the indicated to solve the problem). But, IDK (exactly) - HardMod has nothing to see here (ntrboot is the perfect replace to that obsolete method)

And ntrboot method is independient of the system version, model or region that a 3DS/2DS console has. But only is capable to repair system software and other NAND memory associated problems/bricks, afaik

When this DS flashcart is used on a good 3DS, it can also show things on your pictures.
What do you referring exactly with that for?

Last edited by fmkid,
D

Deleted User

I've done it, but it's still two black screens that don't show anything. I believe DS flashcart is good, because I have used it to invade two 3DSS with 11.4 or upper systems.
If you have different models of 3DS, then the magnet placement can be different. Try testing the magnet in various places.

jason05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Then, if there's no definitely change on that, perharps would have to consider a hardware type failure (and, in that case, only a hardware checking/repairing or a motherboard change it could be the indicated to solve the problem). But, IDK (exactly) - HardMod has nothing to see here (ntrboot is the perfect replace to that obsolete method)

And ntrboot method is independient of the system version, model or region that a 3DS/2DS console has. But only is capable to repair system software and other NAND memory associated problems/bricks, afaik

What do you referring exactly with that for?
I don't think it's a hardware fault, because I dump the whole NAND from another good 3DS with hardmod, and then write into this brick (use Win32DiskImager.exe). The brick will change from black screen to blue screen atter press power button,

i say 'When this DS flashcart is used on a good 3DS, it can also show things on your pictures.' It means that my DS flashcart can enter the safeb9sinstaller menu in another bootabled 3DS when hacked a 3DS system with the ntrboot method .So I believe this card is completely made for ntrboot .

Maybe the underlying data of 3DS is damaged, but what can be done to solve it? Can the dumped NAND file be modified on the computer and then written back?

If you have different models of 3DS, then the magnet placement can be different. Try testing the magnet in various places.
It won't be because of this. My other model is the same.they are all old 3DSXL. The position of the magnet place is correc

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well. for starters. You cannot use another consoles Nand backup to another 3ds or it will brick. As its shown here. Unless you can get ntrboot to work I dont think that consoles going to be any good to you and just make sure all your hardmods did not solder over anything important and everything else is reseated correctly.

Reactions: fmkid

jason05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Well. for starters. You cannot use another consoles Nand backup to another 3ds or it will brick. As its shown here. Unless you can get ntrboot to work I dont think that consoles going to be any good to you and just make sure all your hardmods did not solder over anything important and everything else is reseated correctly.

I'm good at soldering. I don't destroy anything else.but ntrboot doesn't work,Then can't modify the NAND file outside the brick. What can I do?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm good at soldering. I don't destroy anything else.but ntrboot doesn't work,Then can't modify the NAND file outside the brick. What can I do?
Take a picture of your actual DS flashcart and upload it here or to a image hosting site like imgur.com or imgbb.com. I would like to check if yours is really ntrboot compatible instead of some random clone cart that looks like something on the ntrboot list diagram.

I'm re-reading your original post #1 where you did a hardmod to this n3DSLL(?) motherboard. If this motherboard used to show a BOOTROM 8046 error (Blue Screens of Death) but now goes straight to Black Screens of Death, it could indicate your solder job and wire removal created a short that fried the ARM CPU / SoC. This might explain why ntrboot is not working as intended.

To check if this motherboard is salvageable,
  1. Set the DS flashcart to ntrboot mode as briefly described in post #8.
  2. Take another fully working [ n3DSXL | n3DSLL ] or like-model system and uninstall the custom firmware.
    • I don't recommend doing this unless you're 100% certain your flashcart is ntrboot compatible.
  3. Once the CFW is removed, rehack that n3DS(XL/LL) with ntrboot method.
If you're successful, this rules out incompatible flashcart, improper technique, and broken 3DS system.

4. Disassemble the working n3DSLL system. Swap the motherboard for the bricked one.
5. Attempt ntrboot on this [bad] motherboard swapped in the [good] n3DSXL body.
If this motherboard refuses to launch SafeB9SInstaller or GodMode9 as the sdmc:/boot.firm (.FIRM payload), then that means it has a unrecoverable hardware brick.

D

Deleted User

Take a picture of your actual DS flashcart and upload it here or to a image hosting site like imgur.com or imgbb.com. I would like to check if yours is really ntrboot compatible instead of some random clone cart that looks like something on the ntrboot list diagram.
He said that he has successfully used his flashcart for ntrboot before, so he clearly doesn't have a non-working clone cart.

1. Take another fully working [ n3DSXL | n3DSLL ] or like-model system and uninstall the custom firmware.
    • I don't recommend doing this unless you're 100% certain your flashcart is ntrboot compatible.
  2. Once the CFW is removed, rehack that n3DS(XL/LL) with ntrboot method.
  1. So you are giving instructions to find out if you have a functional ntrboot flashcard that recommends you to already know that you have a functional ntrboot flashcard?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He said that he has successfully used his flashcart for ntrboot before, so he clearly doesn't have a non-working clone cart.
  1. So you are giving instructions to find out if you have a functional ntrboot flashcard that recommends you to already know that you have a functional ntrboot flashcard?
I've seen people describe their problems only to later claim something else or present crucial facts that were missing in their initial posts. I may not always take someone's words or description of their problems at face value especially when,
  • (1) S/he might a be newcomer to 3DS homebrew or general video game modding.
  • (2) English is not their first language (country flag flair check) or conversing in it is difficult / weird-ish translated fashion.
, or
  • (3) If I feel it may be necessary to reassess a person's statements by asking for more clarifications or details.

If the resources are at his disposal, the instructions presented in post #17 is for @jason05 to double check his work and find out for himself if his bricked motherboard is still salvageable or dead for sure. Granted, I will admit this approach at troubleshooting is risky and should be avoided if it can be helped.

You're free to share your own ideas if you think there is another or better approach that OP can take to resolve this black screens (hard?)brick.

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
  • (1) S/he might a be newcomer to 3DS homebrew or general video game modding.
  • (2) English is not their first language (country flag flair check) or conversing in it is difficult / weird-ish translated fashion.
, or
  • (3) If I feel it may be necessary to reassess a person's statements by asking for more clarifications or details
  • (4) S/he thinks that her/his unique lifesaver is an obsolete, risky, and no-more-supported process like HardMod
  • (5) S/he injected a NAND copy from another console on the problematic one
  • (6) S/he doubts that a hardware failure/damage could be the cause for her/his console problems
I must add that facts to your list

Last edited by fmkid,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol