Happy International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lgbt-Im-human-flag.jpg

The global movement for lesbian, gay, bi and trans (LGBT) equality encompasses millions of individuals, groups, organizations and campaigns all of whom are fighting for change in their own countries and communities.

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I'm starting to have this weird feeling that you are too obsessed with posting news because itseems lile every thread that you create has this special news formatting.

Happy IDAHAT day everyone!

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I like how if you don't support something (specifically if you don't support the government mandating something), that make you -phobic (afraid) of it.

Don't like scientific facts? You must be truthophobic! :^)
It's not "not supporting something", it's wanting to have people (possibly people you might know, or even your own family in the future) have a worse life for no reason whatsoever but prejudice. And this fully justifies the "-phobic" suffix.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not "not supporting something", it's wanting to have people (possibly people you might know, or even your own family in the future) have a worse life for no reason whatsoever but prejudice. And this fully justifies the "-phobic" suffix.
I'm guessing what he meant to say is that he doesn't see the point of supporting homo/trans people more than anyone else.

Nah, that would make you religious. :mthr:

Reactions: Vengenceonu

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
We shouldn't need just one day for people to be treated with respect. Respect should be a normal thing, regardless of gender, sex, race, religion, disability, sexuality, ect. People should be treated like people everyday of the year.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
We shouldn't need just one day for people to be treated with respect. Respect should be a normal thing, regardless of gender, sex, race, religion, disability, sexuality, ect. People should be treated like people everyday of the year.
yeah i don't really get this day...
so mothers day - we are supposed to show appreciation even more, etc
some countries have children's day, show appreciation to children, maybe no school that day etc.
international ice cream day (i guess it exists) - maybe cheaper ice cream at some places, nice delicious food day.

but this day, is about not being against a group of people, for a day?
i understand what this is for but it seems a weird way of doing it.

Last edited by cearp,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
yeah i don't really get this day...
so mothers day - we are supposed to show appreciation even more, etc
some countries have children's day, show appreciation to children, maybe no school that day etc.
international ice cream day (i guess it exists) - maybe cheaper ice cream at some places, nice delicious food day.

but this day, is about not being against a group of people, for a day?
i understand what this is for but it seems a weird way of doing it.
At the core, I understand the logic. Basically a day to celebrate progress in the LGBT+ and push to stop Homophobic/Transphobia. It's a great idea at the core, but at the same time it doesn't really help. Compared to days like, "The Day of Silence," which actually shows a real social impact of the anti-LGBT+ movement, this one just come off as there for the sake of being there.

Reactions: cearp

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I don't like days like these... Just as I don't like Black History Month.

Every day should be a day against homo- / transphobia, not just boiling it down to a single day.
Or like relegating black history to a month.

I think Morgan Freeman said it best:

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I hate gays, trans, and straight people all equally, what does that make me?
Better question, do you hate them because they are Gay. Straight, ect. Or do you hate the individual regardless of sex, gender, sexuality, ect?

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm fine with "consenting adults" doing whatever they'd like; however, that's not all this movement is about. It's about forcing other adults (Christian bakers) to violate their conscience or be fined hundreds of thousands of dollars, it's about letting mentally ill adult men into small, private spaces with women and young girls.

If you support "consenting adults" being allowed to do as they please, then you have to support privately owned businesses refusing service to those they morally disagree with, and allowing them the right to require biological men to use the men's room. Otherwise you're dishonest and hypocritical.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how if you don't support something (specifically if you don't support the government mandating something), that make you -phobic (afraid) of it.

Wellllll, it's more about perspective.

People are people. We just categorize them because our brains suck and putting people in boxes helps us not overload with data. Making a situation black and white is our compression method to be able to handle stuff. We understand in pieces, bit by bit, not entire foreign concepts at first blush.

This has the side-effect of creating assumptions and horribly misjudging people based on how our brain categorized them. Racism, sexism, most things like this are due to the brain wanting to save processing cycles. We have to force it to work harder to comprehend the acceptability of us and people who are not us.

In this case, we're talking about saying "hey, people who are like this? They're people too, and are no different than other people. This is just how some folks do things. So don't assume junk!". To be against that indicates that you disagree with that assessment. To disagree with that assessment would indicate that you have a problem with seeing them as people. Thus the "what is WRONG with you" when you say you disagree with it.

Also, obviously, the hate, anger, violence, incorrect statements, etc, are indeed -phobic, as they come from a place of fear of "the other", of someone "different".

Last edited by osaka35,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.