HANS Clock Rate Comparison in Older Games [268 VS 804 Mhz]

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TCPixel, Nov 2, 2015.

1. TCPixel
    OP

TCPixel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Hey whats going on guys! This is my first time really posting on gbatemp, although I've been a lurker for quite a while. With the recent *Hax 2.5, I decided to run some tests with the increased clock rate and regular clock rate for older games that aren't optimized for the new speeds. On some of the titles, the speed difference is pretty crazy like on Donkey Kong Returns. Here's a video I just made Comparing the speeds on several games side by side :D

Codename likes this.
  2. Acryt

Acryt GBAtemp Fan

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Nice! One game it felt that didn't have any speed increase at all really was Pokemon ORAS. 3D mode was still super laggy, and even some normal battles in hordes would still lag.

3. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

GBAtemp Patron
    gudenau is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    With the NTR version I found that Luigi's Mansion has no lag and the Mii Plaza seems a little better.

EDIT:
    Why did you not use the same console for both clock speed settings?

Last edited by gudenau, Nov 2, 2015
  4. TCPixel
    OP

TCPixel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    I suppose I could have, but in my mind I thought it was more of a vanilla experience to use the [old] 3ds processor and memory

5. kehkou

kehkou does what Nintendon't

Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    The Duke City
    I didn't know the CPU could be overclocked like that. Any adverse effects on an oc'd o3ds?

6. pdapanda

pdapanda GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 19, 2014
    Switzerland
    o3DS's CPU is just 268Mhz.And it's not overclock. The normal clockspeed of n3ds is 804Mhz

7. kiwiis

kiwiis キウィイス

Sep 8, 2015
    The higher clock speed only applies to the N3DS.

8. Codename

Codename GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO

Feb 21, 2012
    Canada
    I'd be interested to see how much better games like MGS:Snake Eater 3D and RE:Revelations perform with HANS...

9. TCPixel
    OP

TCPixel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    This isn't an overclock, its just unlocking the speeds of the New 3DS to be used in games that weren't designed for it. That brings about smoother game play and shorter load times. I am sure Overclocking the 3DS will become a thing fairly soon.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thanks dude! That's a bummer; out of all the games that need a speed bump Pokemon is definitely one of them.

10. kehkou

kehkou does what Nintendon't

Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    The Duke City
    Ah. So this is of no use to O3DS.
    Also, Is the ARM more efficient than a MIPS? I remember PSP being at least 333mhz MIPS.