Hands-on: Dragon Quest IV Michibikareshi Monotachi

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by cupajoe, Nov 24, 2007.

Nov 24, 2007
  1. cupajoe
    OP

Member cupajoe Have a cup of joe!

United States
    Following the trend of Hadrian's weekly NDS and Wii releases I'm going to try to put out a weekly Hands-on a game. So here's the first installment, enjoy.

[​IMG]

Some of you might not be aware that Dragon Quest IV was being remade for the Nintendo DS, but it just hit shelves in Japan and I was fortunate enough to test it out. This is not the first time Dragon Quest IV has been remade, it had a PS1 remake also, and this game shares many similarities with the PS1 makeover of the original NES game.
    For those of you unfamiliar with the Dragon Quest franchise it is a Japanese RPG that started out on the NES and was dubbed "Dragon Warrior" here in America. This franchise made RPGs a popular genre and the series holds many spin offs such as its Monsters series for the Gameboy and the upcoming Swords series for the Wii. The character designs and concepts are penned by the infamous manga artist, Akira Toriyama, who created the Dragon Ball series. Dragon Quest paved the way for today's RPGs and redefined the genre.

[​IMG]
    "The NES version of Dragon Quest IV"

The game starts you out as the protagonist of the story who has no name, or is simply called hero. The game introduces you to his companions through the first four chapters of the game, each serving as a back-story for each character. The character's stories eventually integrate and the full party of warriors develops. These back-stories also give you information on the antagonist of the game, Necrosaro.
    The gameplay is much like the traditional RPG, you set out on an adventure, kill monsters, and gain levels. This game will have very familiar elements if you are used to traditional JRPGs. Dragon Quest IV uses an AI system that allows you to provide strategies for your party members while still controlling your main character. You can switch between party members using a wagon, which was also used in V and VI.
    Dragon Quest IV's graphics consist of two-dimensional characters on three-dimensional backgrounds. In battle there are 2D monsters in front of what looks like a 3D background but is actually 2D. The movements for the monsters are very fluent and look absolutely beautiful on the dual screened system. When you are not battling monsters the game looks amazing and is ground breaking for the DS. Screen shots can't show you how good this game looks in motion.

[​IMG]
    "Inside of a town in Dragon Quest IV for the Nintendo DS"

There is no announcement for this game in the U.S. but many remain hopeful. While a few people were editing the ROM for this game they found a near complete translation to English hidden inside the Japanese game. This game was wildly popular in Japan and hopefully it will receive the same amount of success in North America. I will have a review for this game once it comes out in the United States.

2. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Oh, yay! I hope you do a lot more of these, really interesting stuff.

3. cupajoe
    OP

United States
    Thanks! Do you think I should do reviews too, or just stick to the obscure stuff?

4. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    Reading that you are an experienced game reviewer, Game Reviews would be pretty sweet! [​IMG] , I hope you can do it too! [​IMG]

5. cupajoe
    OP

United States
    That's kind of inspiring. Thanks.

6. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I agree. Game reviews as well. However, I feel like it was a little short though. It would be nice if you covered some of the gameplay, your thoughts on it, how addicting it was, the ability to play it even if it is in japanese, etc.

7. cupajoe
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the advice Warcueid, I'll keep that in mind next preview/review.

8. Chotaz

Member Chotaz I'm back! :D

Portugal
    i think there are enough reviwes sites, you could stick with the 'obscure' stuff, just as you said, IMO

9. cupajoe
    OP

United States
    I wouldn't know what to do besides hands-on and reviews though....

10. Remy669

Member Remy669 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Cool, really good idea of you!
    I think you should do some reviews too!
    But not of every game. Just of some major games like Final Fantasy/Dragonquest/Etc. if you know what i mean.

11. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    Actually, you could try reviewing games that everyone says is terrible.

Most people say a game is terrible due to horrid reviewer scores, but as I've learned recently first had, most reviewers these days don't even finish the game or at the very least give it a fair chance.

I hate seeing all these potentially good games getting bad reviews just because someone can't be bothered to give it a chance or finish it.

You can even break it down into segments like, first impressions and final overview and such.

And if the game really is bad...well, you can pull off an Angry Video Game Nerd style review. [​IMG]

12. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I think I do that already. [​IMG]

13. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    I'd love to see reviews of supposedly bad games. Defy convention~!

14. cupajoe
    OP

United States
    I thought about doing Angry Video Game Nerd style reviews, but those are abundant. I'd rather do something that I don't see many people do, like doing previews of games that aren't in English or doing a retrospective on a game...

15. Grimalkin

Member Grimalkin Waaaaaaaah!

Canada
    Hey, this is a good idea. I would totally do something like this; keep up the good work. You should give Impression Scores out of 5(or 10).

16. cupajoe
    OP

United States
    I don't think I'll give it a score... To understand the impression the reader actually has to read the full article, instead of just looking at the score and moving on.