Hand ownership of thread over,

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Ron, Feb 7, 2011.

?

Thread handover?

1. Great idea!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bad idea..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Has potential, but might not work out that well.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Feb 7, 2011

Hand ownership of thread over, by Ron at 6:36 PM (3,144 Views / 0 Likes) 44 replies

1. Ron
    OP

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Sometimes, you a thread that you no longer want to be the ts for, or a guide, or an essentials topic that's no longer updated, or you have one of those that you no longer want to update. Wouldn't it be awesome if someone could take over for you, similar to how tempbot takes over USN threads? You could pass it on to someone with interest in maintaining the thread. You would send a reqeust and if the recipient accepts, he/she now owns the first post of that topic, while credit is given to you for starting the thread at the bottom, this way, useful threads could stay alive long after the original ts leaves gbatemp. Mods can forcibly handover or take over threads when a ts is banned without permission from the ts.
    It only works 1 way, to avoid spam, TS/Mod -> other member. Only mods and the ts can send requests. If you aren't the original ts, you can still send a request for someone to take over a thread. This would just require a small modification of the tempbot script. BTW, this shouldn't be availible in the blogs or a restricted sections.

Also sticky submit, basically like submitting threads to be front paged in the USN, but instead, submitting the thread to be stickied, this way, useful threads in the not so popular sections (such as the iDevice and mobile phone section) can be stickies withhout too much hassle for the mods.

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    The "pass over thread's ownership" might be cool, but it might be a hassle to implement.

As for the "sticky submit", no, please.
    That'd just flood us with stickies requests everywhere, with wannabe-stickies everywhere [​IMG]
    Stickies are gonna be continued to be selected manually, based on user interest, accuracy and information relevancy [​IMG]

3. Ron
    OP

Canada
    Lol, 33% don't know what irc is.
    The problem is when you click start applet, it prompts you to download applet.php and then it says 405 not allowed where the applet should be.

4. KuRensan

Member KuRensan aka Pearbook

Netherlands
    Same problem here ^^

Maybe a good idea would be that it'll be able to follow homebrew topic's so if you like it you can follow it and get a special warn when there is a release or something like that [​IMG]

5. Ron
    OP

Canada
    What I mean is, a thread like the overlooked DS games thread, or the essential idevicr threads are not updated anymore, with this, someone willing to take over could without making a new thread.

6. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    RoxasIsSora made a 3DS FAQ, I think, and at one point he seemed to have had the OP switched to SoulSnatcher by one of the staff. Good idea in theory, and I've thought similar myself before.

7. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    I agree about the 'handover' idea

I've seen quite a few threads that started off well enough... but then dies off as the OP had lost interest or had an actual life outside of GBATemp (I admit I've been like that before) - or perhaps other aspects have came about (I know of one thread that the OP hasn't updated for a while due to lack of 'PC access')

It is a shame though that MORE than one person can access the OP - but then again we do have the Wiki avaliable to everyone who signs up to it

The 'sticky submit' on the other hand I don't agree on (even though I've had one done) otherwise we could end up with thousands of 'suggested stickies'

8. Ron
    OP

Canada
    What I mean is that one person can be an ts at one time.
    Eg one person gives up on a thread and passes it on to another person, that person gquits and passes it on again.
    AFAIK, it will only require a modification of the same script that tempbot uses to take I've USN topic, as I said before.

9. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    thread transfer is a good idea, TK_Saturn isn't updating his acekard and wood guide anymore, so transferring threads like that is a good idea. "sticky submit" is a stupid idea

I think OP is asking because he has like 6 thread he want stickied
    I'm surprise he hasn't asked for this thread to be sticky yet

10. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I kinda like the "hand of ownership" thing.

That.

11. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    tj_cool came up with a rather elegant solution for just such a thing.

All the new topic owner needs to do is to make a new post in the topic and request a merge of the first post in the thread with the last post he made. When merging the posts you get to select a 'post owner' which you in this case set as the new person who's going to update it.

12. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

suggestion 1: not bad, could do somehow [​IMG]

suggestion 2: no

suggestion 3: fixed it, thanks for the report

13. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Yeah the first thing is already possible through the way Minox described. The 3DS FAQ changed owners like this.
    It's a fairly easy method, and requires no custom coding at all.

14. shlong

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    I agree so much with the [Essentials] hand-over thing =w=;

15. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    I think the handover idea is brilliant because sometimes when a particular member stops deciding to stop updating some popular thread of his, it could be transferred over to another member who is interested.

16. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I gotta' vote yes for handover as well.

17. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    The handover idea sounds great! I left my sticky at the xbox section sonce I do not own a xbox anymore, someOne needs to take that job

off-topic Whats that thing in my post?? ??? WTF is that?

Whoaw its a Japanese letter or something like that. Google=no results.

18. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Off-topic: You're talking about those small squares with '24/03' in them ?? Bet you're using firefox !!!
    AFAIK - it's something to do with the 'character encoding'.

EDIT: Opps that IS 'E4/03' and not '24/03' - my eyesight must be getting bad

19. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    It's E403 here, and I see it as well even though I have unicode support, so it's likely not a standard character that belongs in an alphabet.

20. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    - I've managed to find out the problem & 'quoted the post into a [PM] reply' back to the mod, but after reading the 'solution' above - I'm now thinking that I may've misunderstood what was said & 'replied' in the wrong place/way (mind you it's only been a couple of days - perhaps he's too busy ATM to replace the post [​IMG] )

I had PM'd him with a fixed 'quoted' copy of the post, but maybe I should've 'quoted' in the original thread instead & requested the 'merge' (but NOT change the 'post owner') ?!?!