Halo: The Master Chief Collection Requires 20GB Update

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tom Bombadildo, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    [​IMG]

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is a big collection, both in size of the games and in the games themselves. With the Halo 1 Remaster, a Halo 2 Remaster, and Halo 3 and 4 with minor improvements (all games running at 1080p and 60fps, sans Halo 2 which runs at 1328x1080 and 60fps). Unfortunately, with such a big collection, it requires a lot of space and a ~45GB Blu-ray disc isn't going to cut it. However, instead of doing the logical thing and including 2 discs, a multiplayer and a singleplayer, 343 Industries has decided to make a mandatory release-day update that is 20GB. This patch unlocks multiplayer maps as well as a few other addons to the game.

Luckily, you'll still have access to singleplayer as the update downloads so you aren't stuck with a brick while waiting, and those who pre-order the game can start preloading the update a few days before release.
    :arrow:Source

2. zeello

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    They should have released the games separately. When you have digital distribution it makes no sense for compilations to exist, at least not for big games like Halo, God of War, Ratchet, Jak&Daxter, MGS, FFX/X-2, etc.

For the physical version, even the fact the game can't fit on a bluray should serve as a sign to split up the compilation. Aside from releasing it as a two-disc game (which maybe they did not want to or were not allowed to since it's bluray) why not just sell each game individually for cheaper. If you can't fit it on a bluray then clearly they are big enough to warrant selling standalone. Not to mention it's four games, so easily you could have put Halo 1&2 on one disc and Halo 3&4 on another disc, but that would be confusing, so why not Halo 1-3 as a trilogy if possible and Halo 4 Next Gen Edition as standalone.

Also, if you have mandatory patches. That means it's no longer a physical game. The disc is just for show. Personally, the moment you patch a game it's no longer a physical game, even if it's a small update. I don't know why people like owning physical media so much. But when you have massive day one updates that exceed 1GB then you basically bought a coaster. It's like PC games since years ago you pop the disc in and all it does is download the game from the internet which you could have done yourself without the disc.

3. Kayot

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    This will only affect legitimate users.

4. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    ...which is all of them? This is an Xbox One game, there are no "illegitimate" users.

5. memorymod

memorymod Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2012
    Canada
    Guys! Microsoft knows how to count! Omigosh! They know how to count!

6. Northern Nemesis

Northern Nemesis GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    Canada
    Who Cares.

7. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Well that's stupid.

8. Kayot

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    I didn't realize it was Xbox One only. Now I remember why I didn't go past 2. 3 and 4 were console only.

9. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    What an obnoxious thing to write in a news article. I thought this was a videogames' forum, not IGN.
    Physical discs cost money. And the collection is sold for a standard price tag ($59,99). If they released two discs and added 5 bucks to the price people would have bitched anyway. Europe is already taking it in the ass since the price is 64,98€.

Idaho likes this.
  10. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    You realize printing another disc would cost them almost nothing, right? Look at FF13 on the Xbox 360: it had three discs and still cost the same price as the PS3 version. As well, Halo has done the single player on one disc and multiplayer on the other before, which makes what Tom said even more logical, as that is a viable model for Halo releases.

chavosaur likes this.
  11. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Hell they did it 2 years ago with Halo 4, all of the Multiplayer and Spartan Ops content was on a second disc that you had to install to the console.

I do like the fact that you can AT LEAST pre-load the update though, this means I dont have to spend all day waiting to hop into blood gulch and fuck up some Reds or Blues :P

12. Cortador

Cortador GBAtemp Fan

Nov 27, 2008
    United States
    What's so bad about this? At least they are not making you pay for content that did not fit on the disc.

13. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Nothing necessarily bad, but with the average internet speed it'd take at least half a day or more to download 20GB that could've just been put on a second disc.

14. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    How will you get 20 gigs when xbox live goes down? They really need to put this on 2 discs not one.

15. Zanoab

Zanoab GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2009
    United States
    The 20GB is multiplayer content. If Xbox Live goes down, you won't be able to play multiplayer anyways.

Obveron likes this.
  16. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    I want this on PC more than I've wanted anything in a long time...

vayanui8 and Tom Bombadildo like this.
  17. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I agree 1,000,000%. Hopefully the current trend of XBone games coming to PC continues, I would buy this so hard.

18. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Can't you download the patch early only if you preorder the digital edition from Xbox Live? At least, I think I read somewhere that it was like that.

19. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    360 used DVD-DLs which are dirt-cheap, One uses BluRay discs which cost quite a bit more. Multiply that for a few hundreds of thousands of copies and that additional disc quickly adds up to the cost :) There you go.

20. Kayot

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    I want to play the Halo series, but I can't till it comes to PC. I hate FPS games on consoles. Then again, I dislike any game that hits a console and not the PC.