Halo DS (Quake ReSkin)

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by TruenoAE86, Aug 2, 2008.

Aug 2, 2008

Halo DS (Quake ReSkin) by TruenoAE86 at 5:28 PM (2,954 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. TruenoAE86
    OP

Newcomer TruenoAE86 Newbie

United States
    Now before the flaming starts, I'm not actually asking for a port of Halo to the DS. I just need some help. Now as some may know, some guy over on PSPmod.com has a reskin of Quake for the PSP. It's redone to look like some Halo CE/Halo 2 maps such as Hang em High and Lockout. I sold my PSP recently, and replaced it with the DS Lite. The keybindings for the PSP Halo were absolute crap, because the controls were backwards. Look was on left analog stick, and move was on the right. Now there wasn't much you could do about it without losing some features due to lack of buttonage, but most of us lived with it. I didn't like it, so I didn't play it. All the DS's buttons are programmable, but there still isn't enough. But I'd like to try and work with it. Now I'm not a developer, I just like messing about with things. But there is a Quake port to the DS, and since the PSP Halo was just a reskin of Quake, then why not have a Quake/Halo thing for the DS? I couldn't get it to work because I'm too lazy and stupid, but go at it, I'd love to see it done. I don't imagine it's too hard, it just seems to no recognize the DS Hardware even when the only thing different from the DS Quake is the PAK files.

2. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    won't work.
    i tried it, but i think it's to heavy on the DS.
    the mod is build to work with a 333mhz processor and a lot more memory.
    1 66mhz processor, 1 33mhz processor, and 20MB RAM probably isn't enough.

i got ingame, but a lot went wrong.
    textures wouldn't load(just pink/black "checker board" textures), i could only shoot and not move around or walk.

EDIT: apparently it didn't get my options file right.
    i managed to move, and shoot.

still it's unplayable, since textures aren't loaded and walls don't display properly.

3. imz

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    I don't see why it can't happen, if IGN can do it for Goldeneye: rogue agent then why not?
    It would be better if you Modded Quake 2 rather than Quake 1 because the graphics are better in that one (it's more 3D)

4. Shabadage

Member Shabadage GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Gods when will you people learn, IGN didn't hack it themselves. It was a demo done either for or by EA that was a re-skin of Rogue Agent to basically pitch the idea of Halo on the DS. IGN just got their hands on it long after that idea was shot down. Why the hell it was EA kind of mystifies me (THQ usually handles portable version of M$ properties), but I guess it's possible EA approached M$ with that demo (To which I'm sure they just laughed at them).

Also Quake 2 barely runs on the DS, I don't think the guy who did the port has even released the actual rom yet. Quake 1 is more reasonable, especially with cQuake being speed optimized.

5. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I think there was a WAD file or an attempted wad file for DOOM? theres a DOOM ds [​IMG]

not sure if there was a pack for QUAKE ??

6. strata8

Member strata8 Look! A pointless distraction!

Australia
  7. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    There are also Hexen and Heretic ports for DS

8. Trippy

Member Trippy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That's a shame if mods don't work, let's hope that it does.

9. Shabadage

United States
    Well getting a project like this up and running in Quake 1 would probably be the way to go. QuakeC makes coding rather easy; so you could probably add in things like the shield.

10. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    the point here is, there's already a halo game running on the quake1 engine.
    but it's made for a psp homebrew port of quake1.

the DS port of quake1 can't work with it for some reason.
    i tried, but it refused to load/save config settings and textures.

11. teonintyfive

Member teonintyfive GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Greece
    I actually thought of something similar but for Half-Life. I even found a tutorial! [​IMG]

12. Shabadage

United States
    Yes, so how about extracting resources and repacking it for one of the DS versions. Failing that, modding quake 1 is stupidly easy.

13. MR_COW

Member MR_COW GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Then why don't you do it?

14. Shabadage

United States
    Because I have no interest in playing it. I've been playing quake for over 10 years and have no interest in playing it again on the DS.

15. Trippy

Member Trippy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    In other words, it's not "stupidly easy."

16. teonintyfive

Member teonintyfive GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Greece
    Actually it is but the problem is, there's no program I know of that can export Quake models, I've seen Quake 2 but... :/

17. Shabadage

United States
    Because I have no interest in it means it's not easy eh? I have no interest in eating this candy bar either, so obviously that means I need a fucking PHD to be able to do so.

Seriously, the wads are zips. The models are in the bog standard mdl format. All the code for weapons and shit is in bog standard C code scripts. Quake even comes with a fucking instruction manual on how to mod it. So yeah, it's stupidly easy.