Halo 5: Guardians rated T for Teen by ESRB - First in the series

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Games & Content' started by chavosaur, Aug 8, 2015.

1. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    [​IMG]
    Halo going for a teen rating is an odd decision on the ESRB's part, considering the game isn't any less tame than previous entries in the series. Is the ESRB getting a little more lax?
    The mention of guns being used to kill human players is also an interesting tidbit, that could point to the inclusion of Arbiter/Elite style levels returning, ala Halo 2.

You can watch some of the new Halo 5 Guardians gameplay recently released at Gamescom below.

Ericzander and dsionr4 like this.
  2. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    Its always been more of a T rated series. I've always thought it was a little ridiculous to rate them M. I'd certainly be happy if the esrb was getting more lax. As someone who can drive to the store but is still apparently can't handle the contents of a videogame, its incredibly inconvenient when they decide to card me.

dsionr4 likes this.
  3. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    Quite frankly, I find it more of a surprise. The only other Halo game that had received a 'T' rating was Halo Wars [X360], a spin-off RTS game. Halo 5: Guardians is yet another sequel to the original Halo franchise. All other Halo games in this series released at the time, were given a rating of 'M'. It comes across surprising to me that possibly ESRB did not take this into consideration. Like I said, it is surprising, but yes, I am in agreement that the only logical explanation is that the ESRB is becoming more lenient when determining ratings for upcoming releases of games.

An interesting topic for sure. :)

vayanui8 likes this.
  4. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    I agree that its surprising, but I also think its long overdue

5. dsionr4

dsionr4 Gbatemp's Shonen Character

Mar 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Space
    Never understood why it was mature. Maybe they rated m because of the older fanbase no that cant be it..... is it?

6. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    None of the Halo games should've ever been rated M, in my opinion. In fact, I think there needs to be an additional rating between T and M. There's no way that Halo 1-4 should have the same rating as games like Gears of War or Bayonetta, and there's no way Halo 5 should have the same rating as games like Super Smash Bros. Melee and Zelda: Twilight Princess.

VinsCool, Deboog, chavosaur and 2 others like this.
  7. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    To be fair those were overrated too, especially smash

8. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    My concern is not that I don't think the Halo series as whole should be given a 'T' rating; I completely agree with you guys there. My concern is that the Halo series by "tradition", was always given a rating of 'M'. It is quite baffling that now, in 2015, see its newest installment with a rating of 'T', when over a decade, its core predecessors have been given mature ratings.

9. dsionr4

dsionr4 Gbatemp's Shonen Character

Mar 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Space
    The people at ersb had a discussion? Or microsoft request ? To this day i dont understand rating system that much especially the japanese one

Last edited by dsionr4, Aug 8, 2015
  10. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    I agree with Smash, but not Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess had pretty tame in-game violence, but it got a bit dark at times. Remember that cutscene that all but showed humans stabbing each other to death to get power? Or the part at the end when Zant broke Ganondorf's neck with an audible sound?

11. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    Twilight princess I can see getting the rating, though I think it could have gone with E 12 personally. The smash rating was just stupid. That being said, the difference between T and M is the only one people really pay attention to, so I don't think they pay nearly as much attention in the other ratings. Its kind of ridiculous that theres such a gap between those ratings when E10 was created, which hardly makes a difference at all.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  12. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    It doesn't really matter what rating they give the game - 8 year olds that will apparently screw my mom will still play it anyway.

13. Ericzander

Ericzander I used hax to get yellow name

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    *Online interactions not rated by ESRB.

Oh, looks like it's safe guys!

nxwing, matpower, VinsCool and 5 others like this.
  14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    For the record, the M rating doesn't automatically make a game truly mature, the content in the series is easily T in my opinion. ESRB be damned, people will play it irrespective of its rating anyways.

vayanui8 likes this.
  15. funnystory

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    How do we know nothing important got removed? For example less gore,not that it matters much though.

16. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    I *think* Halo always got a 16 rating here in Europe anyway, with the likes of Gears (which we can all agree is the more gory game) getting an 18... not sure if the rating for 5 in Europe is still 'pending', but it's advertised as 16 here at the moment, so maybe it is just ESRB getting a bit more lax.

17. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Esrb is overrated really.
    I mean only 4 ratings where its weird.
    I mean I feel 90% of e10s could be e and many M games could be T considering other t games.
    Plus so many parents do not give a flip like letting 10 y/Os play Cod,gta and halo.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  18. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    Rated T? Yay! That means people will be nicer on the online games, and wont cuss as much.

19. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    That's..never gonna happen for online games no matter the game being played. I hope that was sarcasm.

20. G0R3Z

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014
    You're being a bit naive, don't you think?