Halo 1 surprise launches on PC today

Surprise! Microsoft has just given fans a pleasant surprise by releasing the first Halo game on PC without warning. Arriving just three months after the first Master Chief Collection title on PC, Halo Reach, it's now time for Halo: Combat Evolved to take the stage. You can buy the game on Steam for $9.99, or you can get access to it as part of Xbox Game Pass PC. This version of the game supports high-resolution graphics and high framerate support, and is based off of the Xbox 360's version of Halo: Combat Evolved - Anniversary. If you prefer the older 2001-style original graphics, you can choose that as an option, as well.

Features
  • PC Settings/Optimizations: Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is now optimized for PC and looking better than ever at up to 4k UHD and at 60+ FPS.* Other PC native settings include customizable mouse and keyboard support, ultrawide support, FOV customization, and more.
  • Campaign: Experience the second chapter in the Halo saga and fight your way as the Master Chief through 10 unforgettable missions.
  • Anniversary Features: Toggle between the remastered graphics in the Anniversary edition and the graphics from the original Halo: Combat Evolved campaign.
  • Multiplayer: Continue your Halo adventure with Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary's iconic multiplayer featuring an updated progression system and over 19 unforgettable maps.

D

Deleted User

Worth mentioning the netcode is greatly improved over the 2003 port and they fixed the water graphics which Gearbox broke, plus controller support is greatly improved.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Ah yes, the first port from 2001. The one that everyone is obviously concerned with and has been in the public eye recently. What? How nitpicky are you going to be? “Second version of Halo 1 launches on PC today”, ah yes so much better.

Everyone knows what the title means lol. Halo 1 is on PC now. What else would it mean. There’s no misleading being done. Halo 1 is available today. Aw yeah totally clickbaited all the poor fools. They thought they were getting the 2001 port, but now they’ve been tricked! Muahaha!

I coulda gone with “Halo combat evolved anniversary edition surprise launches on pc today”, but that’s so many extra words that lead to the exact same conclusion that halo 1 does. Gosh dang.
It's misleading as in it's implies that it's the first time Halo is being released on the PC, and that overhypes the release to an extent - maybe not intentionally, but what's there is there.

As for the title, I think something like "Halo 1 remaster got a surprise PC release!" would work better - that's what a couple other news sites went with, and it's immediately understandable what's article is talking about.

And yes, of course people are going to be nitpicky when it comes to articles :D That's kinda what comment section is for to an extent - to address weird wording or correct things. It's not an attack either, so don't take it too personally.

I think your grasp of the english language must be misleading. Title is fine, you're just being a pedantic idiot.

English is not my native language, so that may be the case. I think you're being unnecessarily rude, though, so into ignore list you go.

Last edited by Pipistrele,

neotank19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's kinda funny how you release a prequil game and thr original becomes the second chapter. I recently started a replay of the series, in chronologically released order.

D

Deleted User

I didn't know SC2 could be played on a controller. Do tell.

Left stick for camera
Right stick for mouse (+right shoulder trigger for fast movement)

Triangle - Select all army (a pity there is no local selection in SC2 like we have in HW or C&C)
Circle - Attack move
Square and Cross - Two specific shortcuts (depending on units selected - build/supply depot for SCV - teleport - stimpacks - drop - train marine/zergling - select larva - etc...)

Left shoulder button - Selected units cycle by type (to use specific powers accessible by Square and Cross)
Right shoulder button - Reinit view
Left shoulder trigger - Select teleportation gateways
Left shoulder - Left click
Right shoulder - Right click

Left D-pad - Last alert
Right D-pad - Unoccupied SCV or rotate camera
Up/Down D-pad - zoom

The worst part is that I'm limited to two shortcuts per unit/building, but that's enough for my playstyle.
I avoid using GPD keyboard or mouse as much as I can (I find it easier to center the pointer then simply move the camera, like 'modern' console RTS).

That's enough to enjoy the three campaigns and gentle AIs.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ah yes, the first port from 2001. The one that everyone is obviously concerned with and has been in the public eye recently. What? How nitpicky are you going to be? “Second version of Halo 1 launches on PC today”, ah yes so much better.

Everyone knows what the title means lol. Halo 1 is on PC now. What else would it mean. There’s no misleading being done. Halo 1 is available today. Aw yeah totally clickbaited all the poor fools. They thought they were getting the 2001 port, but now they’ve been tricked! Muahaha!

I coulda gone with “Halo combat evolved anniversary edition surprise launches on pc today”, but that’s so many extra words that lead to the exact same conclusion that halo 1 does. Gosh dang.

Halo CEAE surprise launches on PC today as part of the MCC

Fixed that for you Chary ;)

Thanks for the news though as I would have had no idea otherwise :)

whinis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to play it on steam but get an error about EventSetInformation on windows 7. Everyone just points to one of 20 or so telemetry updates but half of them say I am not eligible. So refund it was.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consoles are convenient for plug and play though these days they try to be more like Mid-range PCs. I prefer holding a controller than a K/M, but for shooting games K/M are better.

But there's using an XB or PS controller on a PC, which I do like you said & use it for pretty much everything except FPS's.

D

Deleted User

Left stick for camera
Right stick for mouse (+right shoulder trigger for fast movement)

Triangle - Select all army (a pity there is no local selection in SC2 like we have in HW or C&C)
Circle - Attack move
Square and Cross - Two specific shortcuts (depending on units selected - build/supply depot for SCV - teleport - stimpacks - drop - train marine/zergling - select larva - etc...)

Left shoulder button - Selected units cycle by type (to use specific powers accessible by Square and Cross)
Right shoulder button - Reinit view
Left shoulder trigger - Select teleportation gateways
Left shoulder - Left click
Right shoulder - Right click

Left D-pad - Last alert
Right D-pad - Unoccupied SCV or rotate camera
Up/Down D-pad - zoom

The worst part is that I'm limited to two shortcuts per unit/building, but that's enough for my playstyle.
I avoid using GPD keyboard or mouse as much as I can (I find it easier to center the pointer then simply move the camera, like 'modern' console RTS).

That's enough to enjoy the three campaigns and gentle AIs.
Can this be configured in the in game menus, or do I need a controller to mkb mapper?

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's too bad this is a shriveled little port. Sure some stuff is fixed, a few shaders here and there... But there's loads of audio bugs, sounds skipping/repeating and being cut off frequently or sometimes taking longer than they should to fire. The collision isn't the same even as the original release of Halo Anniversary on the 360, much less Halo 1 on the OG Xbox. There's also delay when switching input methods. So if you're one of those people who binds a couple PC controls to your gamepad for a bit more flexibility (like binding the dedicated reload key to a DPad direction), there will be a pause where no input is passed for about a second. Plus, they seem to have messed up the vehicle controls on gamepad, the camera panning/steering is very sluggish, at least with the Warthog. Also, there's fewer keyboard & mouse options now than in the previous PC release. There's also the bad interpolation. For those who don't know, lots of Halo only runs at 30FPS and interpolation smooths all that out. Despite its inclusion, there's still a very notable slideshow-like effect on lots of the game, even at 100+ FPS, especially in cutscenes. Heck, some animations in cutscenes look like they're locked to 30FPS still. There's also the fact that it's just plain unstable, lots of users are getting random crashes and/or disconnects. I can't even complete Truth and Reconciliation because it crashes in the same place every time.
I'm just left shaking my head here. ALL of those problems I talked about have been solved (or were never a problem) for a good while by modders on the older PC release (which is what MCC Halo 1 is based on) and they didn't even have the source to work from! Really, the only saving grace for it right now is the much-improved online multiplayer connectivity and co-op being a thing again. I really, really, really hope 343i's Publishing Team doesn't leave this poor thing so broken.

Reactions: Deleted User

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really hyped for this. I never got to play this series like I was supposed to :D
The first one was the only one I really played, but I remember it well

SammyP6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good news :grog:
I wouldn't say better, but different: Halo isn't Counter Strike.

Halo is fully designed for controllers: size of the enemies, their behaviour, your walking speed, weapons mechanics, regen shield...Headshots are optionals, aiming isn't frustrating cause helped by subtile corrections...

i mean, that fact that you need auto-aiming shows that its worse

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)