Half-Life ray tracing mod to release later this year

A new mod to add ray tracing to the original Half-Life is expected to release sometime in 2022. Half-Life: Ray Traced is being developed by a user named sultim_t, who previously released a ray tracing mod for the original Serious Sam a few months ago. Half-Life: Ray Traced is actually a continuation of another Half-Life ray tracing project that can be found here.

"Half-Life: Ray Traced integrates the real-time path tracing into the original Half-Life," writes sultim-t in the description of the YouTube video. "With the hardware accelerated ray-tracing, it is possible to calculate global illumination, reflections, refractions, soft shadows and other visual effects with interactive framerates."

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks really cool, but imo, it clashes with the textures, especially outside and in the sun (makes it look uncanny to me for some reason).

Still, very nice from the creator!

Last edited by 1B51004,
Reactions: yoyoyo69 and banjo2

Lucaserf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
dang, i recently started playing for the first time, now this makes me want to wait on it
Are you talking about the original? If so, finish it first (Believe me, despite the outdated graphics, it has a solid gameplay and a great plot) and then give this mod a go in the future. Also, make sure to check out Black Mesa

Conn0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Valve (though they aren't saints) understand the fan care and attention mods bring. *cough Nintendo, Take-Two, cough Nintendo again, Take-Two again*

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Are you talking about the original? If so, finish it first (Believe me, despite the outdated graphics, it has a solid gameplay and a great plot) and then give this mod a go in the future. Also, make sure to check out Black Mesa
I've played through both and Black Mesa to me was pretty underwhelming. Yes, it was pretty but in my mind it felt like they focused far too much on making it pretty rather than to make it flow as well as the original.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Valve (though they aren't saints) understand the fan care and attention mods bring. *cough Nintendo, Take-Two, cough Nintendo again, Take-Two again*
Valve has a long-standing tradition of poaching talent from the modding community, it’s one of their hiring strategies. Most of their best-selling IP’s started off as either mods (CS, TF) or independent projects (Portal).

Reactions: Minox

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
This type of thing would be much more useful for HL2, it's episodes, and Black Mesa. Feels like such a waste and very out of place for such an old N64-looking game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sicklyboy, Hey