1. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Wow does look impressive! I wander if they will release this as a non VR version, it could be possible looks it.

2. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

I’m just hoping for a decent VR deal now.

3. smileyhead

smileyhead This is definitely not a robotic component!

Hungary
    The engine looks really nice. This is the first actual appearance of Source 2, right?
    I hope someone'll make it playable with mouse and keyboard controls via a mod or something.
    Also, I love G-Man's new model.

4. RedoLane

RedoLane Unemployed Punmaster

Israel
    Dota 2 was actually ported to Source 2, so it's not the first time.
    Artifact used it too.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Honestly, you can get into PC VR pretty cheap if you go for a Windows Mixed Reality headset instead of the HTC Vive/Valve Index/Oculus Rift.

I bought an open boxed Acer WMR headset for a whopping $160 earlier this year (which included the headset and both WMR controllers), has 1440x1440 per eye resolution (so 2880x1440 total) @ 90hz and uses the same inside out tracking as the new Oculus and such (although not as good, only two cameras vs the 4-5 on the Rift S, I've had no real issues beyond not being able to reach behind my head in some games, but that's a niche action anyways so meh). Thanks to SteamVR's WMR headset support, you can use it with basically any game that supports SteamVR, and there are open sourced programs that let you use it with Oculus/Vive only games as well that works just fine. FOV isn't as good, but it's only off by like 5-10° so it's not that big a deal.

IMO it's the best way to get into PC VR before dropping $400+ on a headset you might not enjoy and use only once

6. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    i wanted to know the end of episode 3, why go back? so we will still get the damn cliffhanger ending of episode 2 ...

7. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

This is what I'm hoping for, although I fear that I may have missed the boat on the dirt cheap MR (in the UK).

Monado_III likes this.
  8. Danker301090

Danker301090 Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    So Half-Life 1.5. at least it is technically the 3rd title in the franchise.

9. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    well it depends on how you count the expansions and episodes i guess.

Fabian Schuchhardt and Ammako like this.
  10. Chopsuey

Chopsuey Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    I Think a Portal Game would be way more better for VR experience. Just a Cool VR Puzzlegame with that great Portal Story, Humor, Setting. it would be perfect.

Ammako likes this.
  11. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I just ordered an Index but as far as compatibility it's on all vr headsets.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Half-Life Alyx is only 1 of the 3 VR games valve is releasing.

Fabian Schuchhardt likes this.
  12. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I don't see a 3 at the end

Ammako likes this.
  13. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

United States
    Holy shit that is impressive. The physics and graphics look amazing for a VR title. Definitely going to have to turn down some settings to get decent performance on my Pimax 5K.

Along with Portal: Talking Potato, and Left4Dead: OK Boomer. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  14. velvetmxo

velvetmxo Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Japan
    I was hoping it would have movement like Asgard's Wrath. that to me is VR

15. Xzi

United States
    Nonsense. Every new VR game these days has the option of teleportation movement for people sensitive to motion sickness, and the option of normal "slide" movement for people who aren't. I doubt this will be any different.

16. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy #JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
    Global Moderator

United States
    It's no Half-Life 3, it's not even Half-Life 2 Episode 3. But you bet your ass I'll be taking time off of work to play this once it comes out.

It's also gonna force me to upgrade my computer. I don't even meet the minimum requirements for the game. Still rocking an i5 4690k and a GTX 970.

I've been looking for other people at work, and the Lenovo Explorer (headset I use) is going for $130 open box/refurbished on ebay right now. These things are getting cheap. One thing to note with the WMR platform is that to my knowledge the controllers aren't sold separately anymore, and buying them used can easily go for ~$100 for the set. So make sure if you buy a WMR headset that it comes with the controllers.

Xzi likes this.
  17. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
  18. diggeloid

diggeloid Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    The thing that excites me the most about this is that they're calling it a "full-length" game. There has never been a full-length AAA VR game before. Both Half Life 1 and 2 were genre-defining, and this could be the same.

I will now be dedicating the rest of 2019 to getting rich so that I can upgrade my PC and my Vive to an Index, and so I can buy a new house with more space than my current one. Wish me luck!

Sicklyboy likes this.
  19. Xzi

United States
    It's worth noting the game will be free for anyone who's bought Valve Index hardware, whether that be the HMD, controllers, or full package. That's according to the Steam page and the game's website.

Super happy about that since I have the Index controllers.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Silent_Gunner likes this.
  20. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Netherlands
    The problem is the hardware has no way of tracking your arms, and there's many different ways to move your arms for each possible hand position. The software would have to guess, and it would likely create a weird sense of things not matching up when the virtual arms are moving differently from yours. Plus you can hold the controllers weirdly in ways that don't really make sense with the normal hand movements the game would assume, and then you'd just have arms clipping through each other, stretching out or whatever.

Xzi and Silent_Gunner like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - trailer,