Half life 2 running on switch.. thanks to portal (not released yet))

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Actually there are multiple branches iirc. hl2/hl2ep1/hl2ep2/portal and css use source 2013 branch, portal 2 has its own branch, l4d/l4d2 have their own branch and csgo has its own branch. Half life alex and dota 2 use source 2.
As far as we know right now we know about the Source 2013 branch which is Source and it includes HL2 (updated), HL2 EP1, HL2 EP2, Portal, CS:S, DoD:S, Half Life 2: Deathmatch, Half Life 2: Lost Coast, Half Life: Source and TF2. In details, TF2 and Portal both use an even further modded branch to make their custom peculiarities work (classes for TF2, portals for huuuuh Portal). Then there's the "Source 1.5" branch which runs L4D, L4D2, Portal 2 and CS:GO. As last, there's HL2 Alyx, Artifact (lol) and Dota 2 which all run on Source 2.

The only Source games we may be able to see running on Switch from Portal's base would be HL2 and its episodes + Lost Coast, HL:S (although pointless) and for a very limited extent DoD:S and CS:S. TF2 wouldn't work.

Reactions: naed06
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Yeah Portal was made with a modified version of the engine, maybe it's too modified to run the game without issues?
Don't we have a homebrew port for the Half-Life games anyway?
I don't know what changes may have been made to the Switch port of the engine but I recall people running all of Half Life 2 without issue on the Portal branch of Source forever ago on the PC version. I used to be heavily involved in Portal 2 modding stuff (mostly hammer maps) so I'm very excited to see what can be done with this. Once I've got my august exams over I'm going to take a dive in to it myself to see what can be done. In particular I'm thinking about reverse engineering how the PC version downloads PETI maps and implementing it in a Switch homebrew. I remember loading custom maps being possible on the Xbox 360 version of Portal 2 using modified save files but it was never really used to its full potential.

Edit: The Stanley Parable (original version) was built in the Portal 2 branch of Source. Would like to see someone running the maps from that on Switch. I don't think the assets were pakratted in to the BSPs so that would likely take more work than what has already been done so far, but not too much.

Last edited by CompSciOrBust,

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TF2 and Portal both use an even further modded branch to make their custom peculiarities work (classes for TF2, portals for huuuuh Portal).
where do people keep getting this idea from? its just not true. they use the same branch as Half-Life 2 and even Gmod which itself is used for such things without a special branch

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
where do people keep getting this idea from? its just not true. they use the same branch as Half-Life 2 and even Gmod which itself is used for such things without a special branch
Well, the engine is still the same, but there's further modification in it get the Portal features and the classes working.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Ehh I get it, if you don't like puzzle games it's pretty meh, I beat it on the orange box and couldn't see myself slogging through it all again
Portal 2 was really fun to play through again. Even my girlfriend watched me play it, and loved the game.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
this is a fairly common thing actually. most games that are nothing but puzzles that just get harder and harder just feel boring and repetitive. crosscode is an example of a game that could of been good but was ruined by puzzles.
Fair enough if the puzzling is repetitive. Doesn't apply to the Portal games tho.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough if the puzzling is repetitive. Doesn't apply to the Portal games tho.
Portal 1 is a short but atmospheric game whose value in replay is mainly just in movement mechanics and atmosphere. The puzzles aren't particularly creative or taxing.

Portal 2 continued the trend of easy puzzles and now paired it with the same awful writing of HL2 and its episodes and companions that never shut the fuck up.

Sorry Valve fan but the last good Valve game was Half Life: Opposing Force, and it wasn't even by them!!

• Haha
Reactions: Cris1997XX

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Portal 1 is a short but atmospheric game whose value in replay is mainly just in movement mechanics and atmosphere. The puzzles aren't particularly creative or taxing.

Portal 2 continued the trend of easy puzzles and now paired it with the same awful writing of HL2 and its episodes and companions that never shut the fuck up.

Sorry Valve fan but the last good Valve game was Half Life: Opposing Force, and it wasn't even by them!!
Yeah! Opposing Force was made by a company now known for its shitty CEO who pretty much killed an FPS franchise...not really the best, eh?

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah! Opposing Force was made by a company now known for its shitty CEO who pretty much killed an FPS franchise...not really the best, eh?
Why would this in any way be an argument about the quality of a game??? DNF wasn't Gearbox's fault, it was 3D Realms' fault. Please stop talking about things you know nothing about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs