Half Life 2 and Portal Come to Android, NVIDIA Shield only

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Tom Bombadildo, May 12, 2014.

1. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    [​IMG]

The popular Source games Half Life 2 and Portal have officially been ported to Android for $10 each, however at the moment the games are only supported on the Nvidia Shield. NVIDIA themselves have taken care of the port in-house.

I assume this Shield-only support is temporary, however, since there is no touch control available at all on the games yet. As a Shield owner, I'm quite happy with these releases. I've yet to officially play them and I'll probably make a post in this thread or somewhere else with my thoughts on it later.

:arrow:Source

2. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    WTF :wacko:

Anyway, keeping in line with their fear of the number 3, they released only 2 of their games for the Shield.

3. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    I thought the whole point of the Shield was to stream PC games, wouldn't standalone ports kind of undermine that capability a bit ?

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Streaming is all nice and dandy but native support always beats a stream. I'd say it's exciting to see Source ported over to Android, it's about time mobile platforms got to enjoy some of the major PC releases of the decade. Who knows, maybe other Source titles like Left 4 Dead or Counter Strike will follow? Everything depends on how these two will sell.

Mario92 likes this.
  5. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Not necessarily the whole point, it's just a feature along with all of the Shield/Controller-optimized games. Besides, Half Life 2/Portal are something like 10 years old, it's not like they're porting current big-name titles or anything.

6. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    mmm... Half-Life 2 + Portal 1 = Half-Portal/Portal-Life 3
    HALF-LIFE 3 AND PORTAL 3 TO BE A CROSSOVER CONFIRMED!!!111!!!1!!!!!!1!!!1ONE

I'm more excited about how the hackers will made all those exclusives less exclusive

7. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Nvidia were the ones who did the port, so I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be made available for other Android devices. At least not officially.

8. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Did like, Valve visit this site, saw the poll and said "WE GONNA SAVE THAT DAMN THING!" or what?

9. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil
    I was thinking about buying shield for retrogaming,
    with these games, thing are even more appealing.

10. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I love my Shield, especially since these games are out. I picked up the port of Carmageddon, and have hardly put it down. XD

11. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Stuff like this makes me pretty sure that I'm going to pick up a Shield this summer. I wanted a decent Android gaming device, and I mean, at the price that it's at, why not go for the best?

the_randomizer likes this.
  12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I plan on getting on myself.

13. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    Only problem I see is it being Shield exclusive. There's reason why there aren't SteamOS exclusive games: it's dumb as game should work just fine with any other device with enough power and same OS.
    Android needs to be treated more like PC. Minimum requirements and graphical options menus, instead of device by device software testing and restrictions.

Then again these are pretty old games just being ported. How many will actually buy them more than out of curiosity. With portal maybe cross platform coop would work or if it were on other android devices then coop on the go, even better if workshop works.

I would like to buy my own Shield but still haven't found it anywhere where it would be reasonable priced after shipping. It's really hard to buy one within EU. Nexus 4 works like dream but Shields native system and touchscreen-to-key mapping just makes me want it. Fake bluetooth 360 controller just ain't the same ._.

14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You missed the part where NVidia ported the games over themselves in-house, of course they want them exclusive on their device.

Ammako and Minox like this.
  15. smealum

smealum growing up sucks.

May 1, 2006
    United States
    SF
    pffffft. everyone knows the DS is where it's at.

16. Kalker3

Kalker3 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 5, 2013
    France
    Whelp, getting a shield just got a lot more interesting.

17. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    im sure once some android devs get their hands on it, the shield only limitation will be cracked for all devices

18. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Yeah, This might finally be what it takes to make me actually finish Half Life 2 without being distracted.
    I was thinking the shield limitation could be a little tricky because I think the shield has a few of its own exclusive keybinds like the ouya controller that you will need to map with something like tincore mapper.

19. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    Other android devices have Nvidia Tegra as well, some games on Google Play at least had Tegra HD version. I'm almost certain if they don't use some weird framework hackers will be able to extract files anyway. Of course it makes some sense to market their own device but that device isn't even available outside US.

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I expect them to release the games on TegraZone eventually, but I'm not sure if it'd make a whole lot of sense to play them on devices with no physical input methods, plus knowing life they probably need pretty beefy handsets. I guess time will tell.