Country
United States
Reactions: Willhart

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm quite sure this game used the same format as other games from the same company.

Look at 5hours's Ouran Host Club discussion for something about pointers for this game. (That's pretty much about the length limit you were talking about.)
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=204041

And this thread about Hiiro no Kakera as well.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=139512

You can ask azerty1 if the extractor/inserter from Ouran Host Club can be modified to use with this game too.
happy.gif

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oops, so sorry. I got the wrong game. This game doesn't use the same format as Ouran Host Club but more of the Fushigi Yuugi DS. Anyway, no one has ever made the tools for Fushigi Yuugi yet. T_T

metersandpiper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jjjewel said:
Oops, so sorry. I got the wrong game. This game doesn't use the same format as Ouran Host Club but more of the Fushigi Yuugi DS. Anyway, no one has ever made the tools for Fushigi Yuugi yet. T_T
Well that's okay. Anyway, I'd love some help on this. I'm willing to do some hacking myself I guess, but this really isn't my thing and I have 0 idea where to start >

xvirus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck with this
biggrin.gif
I was going to offer looking into it for you, but then I saw azerty1 was on the job. From what I've seen, they do great work, so you guys shouldn't have any problem getting a working inserter.

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
took a quick look at the rom...which i s 512 mB, just so you know, took like, ten minutes just to load in the dslazy...

There's quite a bit of random text in the arm9, but i can't quite tell what it is, though i'm sure it's not the dialogue script.

There is text in emaki.bin in data/emaki/
there is text in kougunroku.bin and oboegaki.bin in data/script/
i have no clue what any of them mean, but there is clearly not enough punctuation or exclamation marks to be the dialogue text.
I didn't spend long looking at this, but i don't quite get how the weird DAT@ files in script/scenario/ and the other folders work, but it's weird as heck. presumably, the script is in them, somehow, but i haven't figured out how it's encoded...

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
azerty1 said:
I didn't spend long looking at this, but i don't quite get how the weird DAT@ files in script/scenario/ and the other folders work, but it's weird as heck. presumably, the script is in them, somehow, but i haven't figured out how it's encoded...
Just regular LZ compressed Shift-Jis text. Gotta move down to the very bottom of the file to see text though and the texts are very sparse. Like you see 1 line of text then a bunch of codes and then another text then codes. I still can't figure out the pointer systems of this game. (The game's so big and it didn't run on my emulator. I don't have space left on my SD card to test it on flashcart either.)

For other scripts (the .bin files), I guess they are scripts for the extras. You have a mini visual novel to read for each guy and some memory albums, etc. Anyway, the text format are totally different from the one ending with @.

metersandpiper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jjjewel said:
azerty1 said:
Just regular LZ compressed Shift-Jis text. Gotta move down to the very bottom of the file to see text though and the texts are very sparse. Like you see 1 line of text then a bunch of codes and then another text then codes. I still can't figure out the pointer systems of this game. (The game's so big and it didn't run on my emulator. I don't have space left on my SD card to test it on flashcart either.)

For other scripts (the .bin files), I guess they are scripts for the extras. You have a mini visual novel to read for each guy and some memory albums, etc. Anyway, the text format are totally different from the one ending with @.
I'm proud. I actually know (sort of) what you're talking about. I tried looking at the files in crystal tile or whatever and this is where I got stuck. I talked to someone on RomHacking and they were like "You gotta know the pointers!!!" to which I went "... Yup. Can't DIY this."

Anyway thanks for the update. Let's hope one of you two figures it out

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jjjewel said:
azerty1 said:

wait, the DAT@ is LZ compressed? i tried running it through nintenlord' tool and ct2, but it didn't give me anything...

i tried deleting all the .ahx voice files and repacking it (effectively reducing the rom size by 400 mB. yup, that's 400 mb of voice and nothing else...the rest is all graphics...) didn't run on my r4+ysmenu or the no$. the full one didn't run on no$ either, but maybe its loaders don't like the 512 mB thing (took half an hour to load).

The .bin file scripts looked fairly straight forward, with pointers for a while, then text, followed by more pointer tables, and then more text and etc.

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
azerty1 said:
wait, the DAT@ is LZ compressed? i tried running it through nintenlord' tool and ct2, but it didn't give me anything...
I opened the whole rom in CT2, then CTRL+N to open the filesystem, and the @DAT files were shown as LZ compressed icons. After that I just highlighted the whole DAT@ files and right-click, then "Extract(U)." (Or you can export the whole thing and use Darth's Batch LZ77.)

PS. You'll find text in /quiz/script too.

Edit: The game worked on my R4 + YSMenu but that was after I downloaded something new for YSMenu (some info.dat stuff).

metersandpiper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jjjewel said:
azerty1 said:
I opened the whole rom in CT2, then CTRL+N to open the filesystem, and the @DAT files were shown as LZ compressed icons. After that I just highlighted the whole DAT@ files and right-click, then "Extract(U)." (Or you can export the whole thing and use Darth's Batch LZ77.)

Edit: The game worked on my R4 + YSMenu but that was after I downloaded something new for YSMenu (some info.dat stuff).
I don't know if it helps, but the game works just fine on my CycloDS Evolution without anything nifty.

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jjjewel said:
azerty1 said:

does the dslazy extract things differently from CT2?
I'll try that out later and see if it works, because i tried Darth's batch lz77 on the dslazy extracted stuff, and i keptgetting errors.

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
azerty1 said:
does the dslazy extract things differently from CT2?
I'll try that out later and see if it works, because i tried Darth's batch lz77 on the dslazy extracted stuff, and i keptgetting errors.
Urg... Sorry again.
bow.gif
This game is way too big to test so I just assumed that Batch LZ77 would work.

Actually the @DAT files use LZ compress with 11 as the index (or whatever it's called.) while general LZ compressed files use 10 as index. Nintenlord & Darth's programs, I believe, only work with compressed files with index 10. CT2, however, can decompress the index-11 compressed files but I believe it can only compress the files back to index-10.

(Index 10 or 11 will show as the first byte of the file, followed by decompressed file size. I'm not sure how different they are.)

Added: CT2's document stated something like this;

1.?? Header=0x11 ?LZ??????
?????????????

Google translate:
1. Support Header = 0x11 of the LZ compression, decompression
Before an amendment to the compression error.

Edit Again: CT2 can compress an individual file to index-11 LZ compressed. (Just change LZ77(10) to LZ77(11) when you save as the file.) Anyway, by a quick check, I couldn't do volume compress for LZ77(11).

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarthNemesis said:
jjjewel said:
Nintenlord & Darth's programs, I believe, only work with compressed files with index 10. CT2, however, can decompress the index-11 compressed files
BatchLZ77 1.3 should support type 11 compression.
Wow... Cool.
wub.gif
You should create a webpage or a blog and keep the records of all your programs. I usually found your programs here and there in different threads. They are always very useful. (Or if you have such a homepage or blog, you should add it to your signature.
biggrin.gif
)

By the way, azerty1, I can see some patterns in the DAT@ file. Like there's a number at 4 bytes before the actual text which I think is the text length. But it got rounded up to some particular values. (Ex. if you text length is somewhere between 28 to 2B (hex), the number will always be 2C.) So you may use Modulus function to calculate that. Anyway, I haven't taken a close look to the file yet so I still don't know the pattern how you can locate each line of text. Anyway, a simple text replacement worked fine. (Sorry for picture quality. I just added "test test test" to one of the line in 100-1-0.DAT@. (That's the text file when the game begins.)

51346340.jpg

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jjjewel said:
DarthNemesis said:
jjjewel said:
Nintenlord & Darth's programs, I believe, only work with compressed files with index 10. CT2, however, can decompress the index-11 compressed files
Wow... Cool.
wub.gif
You should create a webpage or a blog and keep the records of all your programs. I usually found your programs here and there in different threads. They are always very useful. (Or if you have such a homepage or blog, you should add it to your signature.
biggrin.gif
)

By the way, azerty1, I can see some patterns in the DAT@ file. Like there's a number at 4 bytes before the actual text which I think is the text length. But it got rounded up to some particular values. (Ex. if you text length is somewhere between 28 to 2B (hex), the number will always be 2C.) So you may use Modulus function to calculate that. Anyway, I haven't taken a close look to the file yet so I still don't know the pattern how you can locate each line of text. Anyway, a simple text replacement worked fine. (Sorry for picture quality. I just added "test test test" to one of the line in 100-1-0.DAT@. (That's the text file when the game begins.)

51346340.jpg
works like a dream. it's even prettier than before
yay.gif
. Thanks a lot, darth!
oh, and all of darth's stuff is on his mediafire channel.

if the rom's too big to test on your sd card, trying unpacking the rom with dslazy, deleting all the sound files, then repacking it. that worked with ouran, so it should work with this one.

i swear i've seen a something similar to this before, but i'm not quite sure where...it's the "switch", "select" and all those strings that keep coming up...i think it might've been strike witches, but i'm not sure. i'll take a look and see if there are any similarities or anything...

metersandpiper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
azerty1 said:
jjjewel said:
DarthNemesis said:
jjjewel said:
Wow... Cool.
wub.gif
biggrin.gif
)

51346340.jpg
works like a dream. it's even prettier than before
yay.gif
. Thanks a lot, darth!
oh, and all of darth's stuff is on his mediafire channel.

if the rom's too big to test on your sd card, trying unpacking the rom with dslazy, deleting all the sound files, then repacking it. that worked with ouran, so it should work with this one.

i swear i've seen a something similar to this before, but i'm not quite sure where...it's the "switch", "select" and all those strings that keep coming up...i think it might've been strike witches, but i'm not sure. i'll take a look and see if there are any similarities or anything...
Oh wow! All this progress so quickly! You two are just amazing. And you too Darth. I looked up the DS Strike Witches. It was made by "Russel" so it isn't too likely to be related... Unless they did similar things of course. That'd be pure coincidence though. Let's hope the pointers aren't too bad to figure out. I wish I was more help at this stage >

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
so...i can't hack and slash or cheat my way by brute forcing this one. there's nothing consistent and unique enough before each text string. i'm sure the top half of the file has pointers all over it, but i can't seem to find them/not enough time to stare at it long enough to find them.
There are random strings that definitely say something coherent, though the confusing thing is that half of them use some strange format with a 656E 645F before them and others use the same as the normal text...
quite confusing. i'll have more time to look at this one tomorrow, probably...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...