Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom is going overseas!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Fel, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Fel
    OP

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    [​IMG]

At Anime Expo, Aksys announced they are localizing one of Idea Factory’s Hakuoki titles. Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom is the PSP version of the very first game in the series. Why did Aksys pick Hakuoki? That’s what we covered in this interview.
    Out of all the otome games1 you could have picked up, why did you decide to localize Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom?

Frank "Bo" deWindt II, Director of Production: Well, Hakuoki has mature themes and also has hot men. [Laughs.]
    Aileen Viray, Assistant Marketing Manager: This is really experimental for us because otome games aren’t really known in the U.S. It’s our first otome game and I believe it’s one of the very first otome games in the U.S. We wanted to play on the visual novel aspect of things. Ben here, great writer, is working on the game. Just putting that out there..

The PSP market though, from a retail perspective, is having a tough time. I keep hearing retailers don’t want to stock PSP games. Even Gamestop is scaling back on PSP titles and this game is a new genre. How does Aksys plan on tackling distribution issues since Hakuoki will not be available until next year?
    AV: Just seeing the tail end of the PS2, Persona 4 was the last major game, I would say on the PS2. We have to come full cycle and we want to end the PSP on a good note. With a bang…
    FdW: … of hot men.[/p]
    Read the rest of the interview here:
    [​IMG] Source

Second interview where the team gets fired up about the protagonist's potential lovers:
    [​IMG] Source

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    This is old.

3. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    I couldn't find any news about this on the temp, so I thought it could be interesting for those who haven't read about it before even if it is several weeks old. [​IMG] It's probably the first real otome game ever that's coming over and it didn't even get on the front page?! [​IMG]

4. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    Otome games are not widely known of in the west. I'm sure a lot of people on here don't even know what an Otome game even is.

A huge majority of gamers are male. A game targeted at females obviously isn't going to have as much of a market in places where female gamers don't hold a high % of the market.
    (Yes i do understand you don't need to be female to enjoy these games, but they are marketed towards female gamers.)

5. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    My body is ready!

6. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    I know, but if you hang around you'd see that there is a number of otome fans here, so they'd definitively welcome this kind of news. Just look at the TMGS threads and otome NDS release threads, there's always a score of people rejoicing. Besides, nowadays more and more gamers are girls, so it's not a huge majority anyway, rather just a majority. [​IMG]
    And even if not many people here know what's an otome game, at least it would help expand people's horizons as they would learn that something like that even exists. [​IMG]

7. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    at first i read Aksys and i think wow, another localisation of a visual novel like 999 coming to US??

but then i check what is Otome and my hype is gone.. date sim for female gamers -_-' .. ah well still interesting for them, i guess!

8. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    This game isn't going to sell well. I don't understand why they pull over an iffy title like this that already wouldn't sell too great. Then you add on that the PSP isn't super popular in the west. How many PSP owners are females or a male that is interested in something such as this? Sales are going to tank hard, and one of these is never going to be localized again just because of this one poor choice.

Hate to be such a downer, but there isn't a market for this type of game in the west.

9. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    You'd be surprised really.

I'll just leave it at that.

10. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    I won't be. The sales are going to be horrible. Most people who are even going to play it will just pirate it anyways, as is the most common way to acquire games on the PSP anymore. Hell, I'll be surprised if most stores are even willing to stock this game.

11. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    This isn't exactly going to be a AAA billion dollar localization that needs to sell 500,000+ copies to profit.
    They can probably pull a profit with just a few thousand sales.
    Or less if they go the PSN route.

Profit is profit, you don't need huge numbers to profit.

And in this case it'd be competition-free profit, not many other Otome games over here to compete with.
    And at least for this run almost guaranteed profit from any fans of the genre if they want to see more games like this brought over.

Fans of niche things like this tend to be more willing to pay since, you know, they might never get any more otherwise.

12. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Zarcon is right.
    Aksys, XSEED, NIS America know how to make a profit without having massive sales.
    Obviously Hakuoki and Fate/Extra aren't going to be massive sellers, they are keeping costs down with leaving Japanese voices in, make only the UMDs they need (Sony has a low limit on the lowest amount of UMDs a game needs) and it's (probably) going to be on PSN.

As for the people who just pirate, people have their company of choice and will buy pretty much every game from them. I'd gladly buy Fate/Extra if it comes up on EU PSN and I have money >:

Hey, at least we're getting PSP games.

13. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    I agree. There are quite a number of fans that are saying that they will buy the game once it comes out either because they want the game or would like Aksys to localize more games like these (visual novels or otome) from those that I've spoken to or read their comments.