Hajime Tabata quits Square Enix, multiple DLC episodes for FFXV cancelled

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 8, 2018 at 5:03 AM.

1. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Well... the lost DLC concepts/ideas can still show up in future games.

2. Cygen

Cygen Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    I am kinda wondering if the DLC would have been cancelled even if Tabata didn't quit and they just announced it together with him leaving for people to have a scapegoat. I bet squenix just wanted to stop putting extra money/effort into FF15 & Tabata was the only one that wanted to finish. (Maybe Tabata was the Hideo Kojima of Sqenix XD)

3. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    Finally, the gameplay in his games is terrible!

Sephrien likes this.
  4. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    Netherlands
    So why was this huge investment done again?
    Wish they looked at the games they published they did do well and learn from those. But square's gonna be square and releases a trilogy of an installment nobody cared about.

5. Naster

Naster Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2015
    Serbia, Republic of
    Finally. His freaking "and unexpectedly everything gone to hell"-endings and press_one_button&Michael_Bay-style-battle systems (CCFFVII, 3rd Birthday, Type-fucking-0, XV) is always pissed me off.

And his crazy FFXV support. Ehh. The game is okay but DLCs and updates are total garbage.

Farewell you idiot. Toriyama -- check, Tabata -- check. Final Fantasy finally got a chance to be great again.

Last edited by Naster, Nov 9, 2018 at 5:06 PM
    Sephrien likes this.
  6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Wow, maybe they should have invested in something that didn't royally suck ass. Would that have been too hard for them to do?

7. DrkBeam

DrkBeam GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2016
    Spain
    I haven't played any final fantasy game yet, so I guess I won't be the part of the demographic that will hate this game, is kind of a relief for me because it means I will finally get the complete package with a discount probably in late 2019, I just hate single player games as a service, just finish the game and release a final edition

8. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    If you ever do, stick to FF1 through FFX, the rest aren't that good.

9. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    Except for the online mmorpg like ffxi and ffxiv which they are really good.

10. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Meh, I liked FFXII > FFXV

eriol33 likes this.
  11. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    I received ff 15 on pc recently. I've come to enjoy the game a lot, and i hadn't even really started on any of the dlc. It's been the first numbered final fantasy, since the ps1 era, that i actually came to look forward to. And I've been enjoying it a lot. It's also presently the one game compelling me to upgrade my graphics card since building my current main pc.

12. gbatempfan1

gbatempfan1 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    And since then, the Final Fantasy main series has made a dramatic shift towards elements of action rpgs and rouge like rpgs, or whole experimental super linear rpgs. Maybe it will go back to being the classic goal orientated and turn based jrpg. FI-VI were great, VI-X were also good in thier own ways, then it started to go off the rails around the 2006 release of FFXII.

I am not saying that games after FFX were bad, but after Tabata joined, they lost something, and wonder if Square could regain it. FFXII-FFXV would of been excellent if they just gave it the Crisis moniker which is where many of them were inspired or derived from, or maybe some other family name to distinguish them from the original 10 and to ensure people knew they were separate beast much removed from the original spirit.

At the rate things were going FFXVI was destined be a shooter.

13. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    All those years I tried to pretend that FFXII doesn't even exist, the best part of it was the first 30 min and the rest is just lame.

14. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Still better than that trash pile that is FFXIII or FFX-2. Both of those games are are abortive.

Lazyboss likes this.
  15. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    It's about sales, not legacy. I'm sure they wanted to cash in on the success of open world ARPGs and have their own Skyrim. Though I've never heard anybody talk about FFXV outside of related news. I've probably heard more people talk about the Xenoblade games (and for good reason!). Of course they're still gonna do whatever with the Final Fantasy name because it'll sell, and the traditional Final Fantasy we want will just be in the Bravely Default games and Final Fantasy Dimensions.

16. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    So do I. FF 12 is excellent. I am glad I finally can appreciate this game.

17. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    But the games after it, aren't that great.

18. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    I think lightning returns is the best game on FF 13 trilogy. I wish they had made FF 13 like that from start. FF XV is just too incomplete. The more I reminiscing about FF versus 13 the more salty I am.

19. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I can't stand the linearity of FFXIII, not to mention the main protagonist, she's too much like a Cloud wannabe.

20. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    @the_randomizer The game designer of FF 13 probably was involved in World of Final Fantasy as well.
    Always one path directly to the goal and one other branch to an item at the end.
    You have many different monsters that you encounter so it isn't that boring though.