Hajime Tabata quits Square Enix, multiple DLC episodes for FFXV cancelled

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Frexxos

Frexxos GBAtemp Regular

Apr 27, 2015
    Germany
    my personal favourite is only: Final Fantasy 8
    Part 9 was good - but Part 8 is my beloved one

2. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Actually, it's not very dramatic when you consider the fact that I was talking about SQuenix as a whole. They haven't exactly been on top of things lately.

3. Osha

Osha Weh

Jun 19, 2012
    France
    Good, maybe they'll try to focus on more things, now. We need more titles like the Bravely titles and Octopath Traveler, and the audience agrees, considering how well these sold.

FutureAudio likes this.
  4. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 Fringe Weaver

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    VA-11 Hall-A
    The only game he made that I thought was a masterpiece was Crisis Core, so I'm not sad he's leaving. Does suck that the DLC is being shacked (won't be surprised if the PC version stops further development as well). Hope SE finds someone good to replace him.

FutureAudio likes this.
  5. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    @whateverg1012 When I saw FF 15 gameplay the first time I thought it would be similar like to Crisis Core but I was really disappointed with the pressing one button to win gameplay.

whateverg1012 likes this.
  6. waveathon

waveathon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2014
    Damn this really hit me hard.

7. Cygen

Cygen Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    Wow, so the basically unfinished game will now never be finished? Only talking about the missing plothole fillers. Dont Own the game myself but my Brother in law does and he is a really hardcore FF fan and was really looking forward to Aranea und Lunafreya story content.

I know that the first 3(4?) DLC were part of some kind of season pass, what about these cancelled ones? Were they planned as free DLC or part of another/the old season pass? The lack of rage seems like it was not part of its own season pass. XD

Pook and Pie likes this.
  8. Sephrien

Sephrien Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2018
    Poland
    The last Final Fantasy game that I enjoyed was FFIX Don't like any of the stuff they have released since FFX. And I also hate payable DLC which SE seems to put in almost every new game.

gameboy and FutureAudio like this.
  9. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    "I'm gonna make my own studio, with RPGs and DLCs"
    -Tabata, 2018

10. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    FF XV is the worst FF ever. Would have been better if they remove the title final fantasy and let it stands on its own. I personally like FF XIII Trilogy better. I am now playing FF XII zodiac age, and totally love it. I am glad I finally could appreciate FF XII

11. Coto

Coto

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    Here´s a good idea for Square Enix:

Final fantasy reboot that deals with Star Ocean

Win

12. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    there are two kinds of dlc. what you mentioned where devs intentionally leave out content to sell as dlc and then there is the latter kind of dlc that is much more acceptable which being the kind where it's actually made after the games launch to add onto a complete game. the episodes were more reminiscent of expansion packs of yester year rather than micro pockets of content

13. Hakaisha

Hakaisha Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2014
    United States
    Very unfortunate news to hear for Square Enix and FFXV fans.

Perhaps they decided all the time and money being put into FFXV's DLC would be better spent on a new game? Whatever the case may be, I wish Tabata-san well on his new chapter in life.

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy XV for what it was. It wasn't a perfect game by any means, but it still had a certain warmth to it I haven't felt in a Final Fantasy game for quite some time. I never did delve into any of the DLC after I finished it.

I'd personally love to see more games like Octopath Traveler come from Square Enix. Like, smaller games that can actually be developed and and completed in a shorter amount of time on the side, while their larger projects (FF7: Remake, FFXVI, KH3) are being worked on. A new Chrono game made with a similar visual style to Octopath would be great, imo.

Last edited by Hakaisha, Nov 8, 2018
    Kazuto-Z-, Frexxos and FutureAudio like this.
  14. FutureAudio

FutureAudio Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2018
    United States
    I was just referring to it in the aspects of success. And for me, an unfinished story is not a bad story. In fact I think ff7 was kind of unfinished as the ending wasn't completely transparent in what happened to the characters after.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Are you me?

Sephrien likes this.
  15. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    This is a good news, this guy doesn't have the talent to screw with final fantasy, all he did is an unfinished game full of DLCs and advirtis it like it's the best game ever for many years.
    You can see his loyalty to the game by leaving it without finish the DLC to start his own.

16. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    It is now, sadly.
    Too bad the PC port of Grandia 2 is a mess, audio sync issues and other glitches galore.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I hate to be that guy, but Square Enix was superior before they merged and was Squaresoft and Enix.

Edit: Whoops, sorry about the double ><

Last edited by the_randomizer, Nov 8, 2018
    Memoir likes this.
  17. noctis90210

noctis90210 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2013
    This is the game with the worst development history.
    Developed in 2006 for ps3, changed title during 2012 and announced for 8th gen console, waited until 2016 release. A total of 10 years from development to release date. Acceptable reason to wait if they continue to develop all DLC, but what happen is the opposite.

The story will end unfinished.

Tabata should consider staying atleast another year for the fans to experience the complete game. For sure Hajime got a lot of money for the games he developed, but in the end when he sees lumiose production income becomes low, personal choices comes in without considering what tha fans want.

Hope final fantasy vii remake will not follow on what happen to xv.

18. jumpman17

jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

Former Staff
    Apr 11, 2003
    United States
    Why would they cancel the upcoming DLC for FFXV? Didn't they say that they were making more specifically because the game sold like, a bazillion copies so it was obvious to pump out more content for such a high seller?

19. PiracyForTheMasses

PiracyForTheMasses GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2018
    United States
    Final Fantasy hasnt been Final Fantasy for years. In my opinion 10 was the last Final Fantasy game, after that they completely changed everything that made Final Fantasy what it was. Every release since then has not been a Final Fantasy game, they just tried to capitalize on the name.

gameboy likes this.
  20. Pook and Pie

Pook and Pie Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2015
    United States
    I still haven't beaten XV. It's the one NON-MMO FF I haven't completed.

It's just boring and the story presentation is somehow more ass-backwards than XIII, and I thought it was nigh impossible to do storytelling more obtuse than XIII.

21. Sephrien

Sephrien Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2018
    Poland
    Tabata's to blame. He was kind of a cancer to Final Fantasy franchise:

"1999 Monster Rancher 2 PlayStation Event director
    1999 Deception III: Dark Delusion PlayStation Event director
    2004 Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII Mobile Director
    2007 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII PlayStation Portable Director
    2008-10 Kingdom Hearts Coded Mobile Co-director
    2010 The 3rd Birthday PlayStation Portable Director
    2011 Final Fantasy Type-0 PlayStation Portable Director, original scenario design
    2014 Final Fantasy Agito iOS, Android Producer
    2015 Final Fantasy Type-0 HD PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows Producer, director
    2015 Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius iOS, Android Special thanks
    2016 Final Fantasy XV PlayStation 4, Xbox One Director
    2017 King's Knight: Wrath of the Dark Dragon iOS, Android Special thanks
    2017 Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita Special thanks
    2017 Final Fantasy Dimensions II iOS, Android Special thanks
    2017 Monster of the Deep: Final Fantasy XV PlayStation 4 (PlayStation VR) Producer
    2018 Dissidia Final Fantasy NT PlayStation 4 Special thanks
    2018 Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition"
    Source:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajime_Tabata

Lazyboss likes this.