Hadrian

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by amptor, Mar 14, 2010.

Mar 14, 2010

Hadrian by amptor at 4:39 AM (917 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. amptor
    OP

Banned amptor Banned

United States
  2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    H.E.R.O. is awesome

3. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Atari 2600 or C64 version or GTFO.

4. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    Actually that looks like the MSX version, and since I played them all ( starting on the Spectrum, C64, Atari 2600, Atari 800 and colecovision ) , I can safely say the MSX is the best one; more colors, better texture ( the walls they look like actual caves ). Better then the C64 anyway, it plays slightly faster and smoother, try it on BlueMSX if you don't believe me......
    So what's the point of this tread ? Is it coming to the DS or something ?

5. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    It doesn't play as well as the Atari 2600 version, which is by far the best one.

6. Arm73

Italy
    With all due respect to the Atari 2600 has flat walls without textures, just colored solid rectangles, and it moves slower then the MSX version.
    I still like it, heck I even like the Spectrum version with even less colors, but the MSX version is the most refined of them all.
    Very close to that is the Atari 800XL version, but has less texture and somewhat blockier look......the C64 version..........forget about that...less colors, slower and blockier.....

I won't argue with a guy who has H.E.R.O. boxart as an avatar though.......[​IMG]

7. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    Graphics whore. Bet you prefer Ant Attack c64 because it has colours don't you? [​IMG]

8. Arm73

Italy

No.
    I said that I even prefer the Spectrum version to the C64 , so I am most certainly not a graphic whore.
    I just feel the MSX version moves faster and smoother, and the colored backgrounds are really nice and make you feel like you are exploring caves, while the Spectrum version and the Atari 2600 have a plain black background and solid colored walls.
    Besides I don't think there are many games I prefer on the C64 over its competitor but less graphic capable ZX Specrum, actually only one comes to mind now and that would be Batman the CC....not really for the graphic but for the awesome music that was playing in the background !
    I still hear it in my mind to this day !
    I'm all for gameplay vs graphics, that's why I own a Wii and a DS instead of a PS3 and a PSP [​IMG]

EDIT:
    By the way, the MSX emulator for the DS has been recently updated but I didn't try it yet, you know what ? This is the perfect chance to load it up and play HERO again !
    Don't you love emulators ? Every once in a while they get updated and give you more reason to play the classics again !
    On a side note, is there an reasonable good Atari 2600 emulator for the DS ? Which one would you recommend from your expertise in the subject ?
    I got a bunch of roms waiting to be played !

9. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    They're a means to an end, gives players a chance but as someone with the original hardware I have no need for them anymore. I do mess around with some but I can't say I use them for long enough For me no emulator replicates the original experience, even the ones that run the games perfectly they just lack a certain charm that the original machines hold.

I've used StellaDS and its seems ok.