had you experienced modding a device being more fun than play it?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i remember several times i modded some consoles, and used mods on pc games (gta being a good example)

and one thing i remember pretty well is, i had lots of fun reading tutorials on internet and softmod the device, and experiment and try stuff with it..
i had a psp, in the first months i played gta and other games, but when i could "hack it" things changed.. i spent lots of time with homebrew... and of course i also played isos with it..
but when i wanted to try some homebrew and it was giving problems to make it work, i also had lots of fun making something working, than actually using it...

i also softmodded 2 borrowed wiis, spent a full day on each other, learning how it is done and to make it work property.. (i had problems with usb not working..) later days i installed lots of wads and etc. 70% of the games\wads, i never launched them, i think i am gonna play on the future, but truth is they are just there.., but i just keep putting and changing stuff around
like, i keep downloading games, i install then i never play

in PC, gta is the best example, after i finished the game i spent hours installing mods and try stuff around, just to play 10 minutes with the mods enabled...

sometimes it's more fun playing with the devices themselves, than using what the devices are for...

Reactions: Azel and T-hug

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have had more fun pulling apart a game than than playing it before, then again I do not much care what I pull apart so that is easily done. Modding a device... actually yeah I find driving boring as anything so I have had more fun modifying a car than I had driving said same car. Modding a console, every one I have ever modded involved either basic soldering and dumping/flashing using a serial/parallel/dedicated device or buying something and plugging it in. I have done enough of both that it is not that special to me any more.

PSP and Wii are fun to mod <3

Software mods are a bit like wanking -- pleasant enough but far more fun to get your hands dirty*.

*if your hands get dirty when software modding you are doing it wrong, or handling the jam stained controllers of some kids.

Reactions: VinsCool and migles

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish people still had this mindset. I miss stuff like shell mods and overclocking switches. Stuff on DS Lite got so crazy that I remember a dude who began to sell his DS Lite LED shells on dealextreme. I wanted to pimp mine up a little bit but no one sell those anymore. And I really wanted someone to do the same with the Micro.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When my former friend got a rare version of a Sega cd system and found out you could just burn cds and they would play in it, we stayed up all night drinking and burning discs. We also found out that the entire library was almost entirely composed of fecal matter

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
When my former friend got a rare version of a Sega cd system and found out you could just burn cds and they would play in it, we stayed up all night drinking and burning discs. We also found out that the entire library was almost entirely composed of fecal matter
Ps1 was the same (just needed to disc swap lol).

I love modding systems (nothing major just switching shells, led mods, chips etc)

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah, most fun i had was hardware modding my Megadrives and master Systems, installing multiregion bios on the MegaCd 1 and 2 and adding switches to my Snes to play all region games
I even did a rgb mod on my Pc-engine TurboDuo-R, then i replaced my ZIP drive with a HDD on the Z64 for my N64, i spend hours softmodding my Wii and other Wii's i got that where broken (moslty dvd rom drive broken), Ps, Ps-One and PS2 and i almost forgot my original xbox and Xbox360 (i did remover all mods on my X360 in the end to play legit and online without problems, same for my Ps3, it was fun softmodded, but i updated and removed all mods cause i wanted to play legit online without worrying :)

Yes, i do miss those times, but i learned alot :)

Same now, i got a RPI2 and already spend days preparing my own Mediasetup from scratch (no prebuild image of raspbmc or openelec, pure raspbian and setting up everything (sabnzbd, sickrage, couchpotato, kodi, external hdd etc...)
It's a challenge for me, cause i know zero about linux.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!
but it still saddens me to realize I spend much more time modding stuff or educating my self about it than actually playing. (I used to be a computer science engeener, so I guess it can't be halped and will always stay a hobby of mine :) )
I actually own a pretty good game collection ranging from atari 2600 to Wii U, even stepped in the wonderful world of arcade pcbs last year, with a modded CPS3 pcb, but I guess I like the idea of being about to play anything more than actually playing something LOL

That being said, I recently started (re)playing some classics or games with my GF, and play SFIII 3rd Strike everytime me and my friend get the chance. (So I'm slowly "recovering" or something, right ? lol)

As Djoen I just got a RPI2, and haven't been using linux for like 10 years, so this will be fun^^ (I'm also educating myself about domotic/home automation with RRPi2, seems like good projects can come out of it, needed for when my GF and I inevitably move to a house)

Suthek

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The D2Ckey install on the wii was fun.
31 wire install on IC legs.
DSCF0736.JPG

Definitely the most interesting I've done. (stock photo. not my work.)

Reactions: elmoemo

Suthek

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good cable management :)

Yea I hear that. That wasn't my photo but I had to keep my wires tidy otherwise you get confuzzled.

If something doesn't work, you're like, "**** now I have to trace all my wires and make sure I didn't connect one incorrectly."

I wish newer consoles relied on hardware mods like this.
Not to demean the softmodding scene but when I see people charging $50-$100 to softmod a wii it makes me cringe.
You want to charge an arm and a leg? At least do something skillful. Putting an SD card in their console doesn't require skill. It simply requires a youtube video. I suppose being really good at watching youtube video's is a skill. But I have yet to see anybody throw that on a resume.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
The D2Ckey install on the wii was fun.
31 wire install on IC legs.
DSCF0736.JPG

Definitely the most interesting I've done. (stock photo. not my work.)

Man, that's a lot of wires. Most I've done is solder a OneChip into a PSOne, and that only has 8 wires. :creep:

I wish I got the chance to use my soldering iron some more.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I find hacking to be just as fun as playing, thus is why everything I get my hands on is modded, but modded to ensure I can game more. At times though I do spend more times modding my stuff than actually gaming, but to be fair in the end everyone I live with end up enjoying my fruits of my labor.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Suthek

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Man, that's a lot of wires. Most I've done is solder a OneChip into a PSOne, and that only has 8 wires. :creep:

I wish I got the chance to use my soldering iron some more.

It wasn't really the quantity of wires that was painfully fun. It was the fact that every single one wired into the black chip's IC legs.
Those are 1mm apart. A little shake and you've bridged the legs. Once they are bridged it's a b**** to unbridge them. (not impossible but definitely frustratingly fun.)

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
It wasn't really the quantity of wires that was painfully fun. It was the fact that every single one wired into the black chip's IC legs.
Those are 1mm apart. A little shake and you've bridged the legs. Once they are bridged it's a b**** to unbridge them. (not impossible but definitely frustratingly fun.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can avoid the shaking by firmly holding the wire down onto the contact and carefully putting the soldering iron on to the wire for a bit. This should distribute the solder between the pin and the wire.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...