Had GBA been a home console it'd been one of Ninty's best.

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    Been playing throughout its library and I'm very pleased with it, every game feels like lots of fun, great graphics, great gameplay and none have that cheap-ish feeling that games nowadays do (okay some clones do). Mario Kart on GBA for example is a direct sequel of Super Mario Kart and that in itself is fantastic, there are tons of platforming games but all of them are so much fun that you won't say "oh god, another platformer".

The TMNT games (based on the 2003 series) are currently my favourite as I'm playing through but it feels a little lacking without local co-op player in comparison to the original arcade game + SNES' "Turtles in Time" though aside that, the experience is wonderful. :)

Who needs Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash when you've got the GBA version? Only if wanting for better graphics albeit less content.

Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo Revival is very addictive on GBA and for damn good reasons.

Let's not forget it had mature games too, such as Rockstar's very own GTA and Max Payne. Not to forget Driver 3 which is like GTA in 3D for GBA!

By the way, I think I might end up skipping on the NX and play oldies so this way I get to save up money and play games I've been meaning to. :)

Hoppy likes this.
  2. Octoling

Octoling Banned

Banned
    Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    Same place as [INSERT NAME HERE]
    Gameboy Player my friend

3. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    PSTV took care of it. :)

4. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    you do know you are GBAtemp...

Hoppy likes this.
  5. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    I remember that it was from this website I originally downloaded gba roms. Gotta admit I miss the old UI of GBATemp.

6. TanookiSuit

TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

Nov 11, 2004
    United States
    Louisville, KY
    There's far more to highlight for a starting post, even in the T/M group such as the very robust DOOM 2 (1 too), Duke Nukem Advance, and Ice Nine in the first person shooter category (even Wolfenstein 3D though oddly with only SFX no music.) Racing there's a heap, but the one we didn't get out really stands out -- F-Zero Climax with a crap load of tracks and nice storage to N64 track maker create 20 full courses to your cart at one time too. If you're from the EU there's 2 badass pinball packages with Pinball Challenge Deluxe (aka: Pinball Dreams + Pinball Fantasies) and Pinball Advance (Spidersoft's Pinball Mania.) If you can somehow track it down, unlicensed pet project by a head of Team17 converted QWAK! their Amiga game to GBA on just 300 carts (I have it, it's amazing.) More EU gems -- Alien Hominid a solid conversion of the GC/PS2 game that started as flash game fun online and also Asterix and Obelix XXL which is a third person full blow 3D platformer that works surprisingly well. Also Nintendo oddly released Kurukuru Kuruin in the UK but not here, dumbasses, solid but very tricky (if you're going for time) action puzzle game.

Back into the US, there are other solid 3D games like V-Rally 3 which looks and kind of feels like Sega Rally but with moderate car damage (in and out of car views with windshield damage.) And a huge one, an honest full (non-FMV though) conversion of Wing Commander Prophecy (WC5) exists as well and it's stunning, everything is in full 3D even has limited vocal calls/quips in flight and landing/take off sequences.)

Obviously there's mascot shenanigans of the most solid from from older conversions like the Mario Advances and the GBA-Classic NES library which Japan got twice as many with some things we should have (like Kid ICarus and Ghosts n Goblins) and then the spin-off of franchise gems like the trio of Castlevania games, various Mega Man action/battle network stuff, Maxis' Sim City 2000(works well, just no underground parts which is a plus) and various Sims titles, Square-Enix with all those Final Fantasy titles including stuff we never got (FF2, FF5) and the FF Adventure(Seiken Densetsu) remaster, Konami also with Contra 3 and Gradius Galaxies. Nintendo too with the wickedly well redone Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen and the new ones, Game & watch Gallery 4, the Zelda 3 redo+Minish Cap, River City Ransom DX and Double Dragon Advance from Atlus, the Metroids, the Golden Sun duo, and the list goes on.

There's a heap of solid unknowns that get little attention too, perhaps they'd be worth featuring in this thread if it stays alive. Gekido Advance, Iridion II (1 is crap), Godzilla Domination, Lady Sia, Mr Driller 2, etc.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.