Had anyone created a way to Local/Download Play region locked games via Homebrew?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by LuxerWap, Oct 8, 2016.

1. LuxerWap
    OP

LuxerWap The Green Husky with a Broken Tail

Sep 6, 2015
    United States
    Franklin, Georgia
    If not, then this is a waste of a thread. Well we could discussion about it.

The point is this. US and EUR 3ds systems will not connect via Local nor Download Play for some games. Since we've found a way to play any game region free via Homebrew, I wonder if someone would create an alternative Local/Download selection to bypass region locking.

Last edited by LuxerWap, Oct 8, 2016
  2. Aletron9000

Aletron9000 3DS Master

May 10, 2016
    United States
    3DS ARM9 CPU
    I think you can only do that with CFW because it allows region free .cias. Download Play works by sending over a download play .cia file, so it might work the same.

3. LuxerWap
    OP

LuxerWap The Green Husky with a Broken Tail

Sep 6, 2015
    United States
    Franklin, Georgia
    Hm. I didn't know a separate .CIA of Download Play existed. That might work, it think. Guess I'll try it out.

4. Aletron9000

Aletron9000 3DS Master

May 10, 2016
    United States
    3DS ARM9 CPU
    that's not what I meant

when you go to download play and select the game to connect to, the source 3ds sends over a .cia of the game to the target 3ds (where you selected the game for download play).

so if region patch is enabled on CFW, then the cia the source 3ds sends over will run and you can use the Download play for that game on another 3ds from another region.

Last edited by Aletron9000, Oct 8, 2016
  5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Also, there technically is no such thing as "region locked multiplayer"!

The "same" region-locked game released in different regions, is actually different titles each with its own titleid.
    In the header or exheader, can't remember, each title specifies a "local gameplay ID" which specifies with which games it can connect: it usually matches the first release (so, usually Japan's) unique id...

...so, as far as the console knows, this isn't a matter of region lock: it's just avoiding a Pokemon player from disturbing your game of NSMB2, except that "Pokemon" is a foreign copy of NSMB2 and the developers didn't set its network ID to the same one of your region's!

(game names chosen at random, not actual example)

6. N7Kopper

N7Kopper Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend

Aug 24, 2014
    Or, in some cases, there actually are region differences that impact netplay, but the developers were too lazy to fix. (Tri Force Heroes...)