Had any horrible accidents?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
discuss any serious accidents u ever had. its always fun to compare scars.
one rule:mental injuries dont count(that should cut down the OVER 9000!!! posts about the first time you saw goatse)

i had a really bad accident about a year and a half ago which nearly killed me if i wasnt so lucky.
basically, i was at home and i really needed to go to the toilet and what does my little brother do? he sneaks in before me leaving me pissed as hell.
after like 5 minutesi know hes just messing with me so i start banging on the glass part(we have like this bathroom door with a glass blurred windowy type thing) telling him to come out. i hit a bit to hard and accidentally smash the window. my little brother was fine, me however....

i let my hand drop because i knew id me in MAJOR trouble by my dad for doing that but as i leave my hand by my side i feel this warm stuff going over it. i lift it up and look at it...
my mother says i screamed like a little girl..i dont believe her

i saw that my wrist was open and covered in blood and you could also see some bits of white!
of course i put two and two toghether and realised that when i smashed the window, a glass shard must have caught me and sliced open my wrist. then i noticed something else too. I saw the white and seeing as i am really horrible at biology i immediatly assumed the worst. ITS MY BONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thats when reality came crashing in and i (like my mother puts it) "screamed like a little girl".
then i thanked god for tv. why do you say that?
because if it wasnt for tv, i wouldnt have known to apply pressure on my wound (being the ignorant git that i am).

after i realised this i ran for my sisters room for 2 reasons
A)the linnen closet was in her room and it was a biiig wound
B)im just plain evil, i bled over her carpet out of pure spite(thats another story for another time)

i got a bathtowel and just put it over my cut and just pressed on it with my other hand while i was waiting for the ambulance.

i got to the hospital OK and they did an X-ray checking if there was any glass left in my wrist before fixing it but it turned out that while the cut was quite deep, it was only inches away from a main artery and if it went any deeper i would have been dead.
i also cut my main tendon (the white things i saw turned out to be tendons, not bones lol) and i couldnt move my wrist up or down but i could use my fingers fine. i was incapacitated for about 3 weeks and then i had my operation on my wrist to reattach my tendon and close up the cut(they couldnt that night since it would have been dangerous to do something with tired staff, and they were busy reattaching someone who cut off their own finger 0.o).
now a year on and my hands almost as good as new.

well, heres my story, now i wana hear yours

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
nice one...
how come you had glass on your toilet door? don't tell me you looked through the glass to see your brother
wtf.gif

I had a major accident when I was young (about 6 or 7),
I accidentally knocked my head against my friend's; fortunately for my friend he got nothing, but my front teeth almost fell over and there was blood everywhere.
my parents took me to the hospital and I had a complete surgical operation to sorta fix my teeth.
I don't remember it too well but I'm sure my parents do and it must have been a terrible moment for them
tongue.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I was carrying a bag of groceries, tripped over something or other, dropped a pickle jar on the ground, and then fell on it. I got a whole pickle jar's worth of glass embedded in my left leg (just under the butt cheek)... and then the dill kicked in.

20 stitches and very very many various superficial cuts left to heal. The scars now look like a plate of spaghetti
happy.gif

santakuroosu

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As no one's posting "horrible accidents" I'll add it too.

A few years ago I got mugged, resisted and ended up with two fractures in my lower jaw and some damaged teeth.
Needed a bit of facial reconstruction, 10 screws and 3 weeks of eating through a straw.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My brother kicked me in the jaw, knocking my two front teeth out, and I had the choice to send him to juvi. I didn't.

5 years later I regret that decision, as cruel as that may sound.

D

Deleted User

I got an arrow--some sort of huge kiddie dart--in my head near my temple--about 3-4 mm above my left eyebrow--when I was a kid (like 6 or so). It fell out immediately after it hit me, blood was all over my face and my friends started screaming like mad while I was running inside (crying) to tell my grandma what happended.
She then put me in front of a mirror, said something like 'Look at what you've done again' and gathered her things to drive me to the hospital. It's only like 3-4 stitches but I was very lucky that it didn't hit my eye or got deeper into my head.

iTech

Trophies
Website
www.mikethespike.net
XP
Country
United States
As a child I head-butted some fat kid that was spying on me and my friends when we were playing Power Rangers and sent him flying through the windshield of a parked car. Afterwards, I discovered that my some sort of disgusting shit was splattered all over my pants.

Then I fell into an alcove when hurridly trying take my pants off.

And that's how the Grand Canyon was formed!

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got 2 stories, both 100% true. I'll start with the oldest one first.

A friend and I were helping his Dad cut down a tree behind their garage that had died. My friend and I were carrying the branches that his Dad cut down with a chainsaw and putting them in a pile. As I was waiting for the next branch to fall, his Dad lost his balance on the ladder and swung around to try and catch himself.
At first, I just thought he touched me with a hot part of the chainsaw and payed it no mind. My friend comes back from the branch pile and exclaimed, "What happened to your arm?!?" I say, "Huh?" and looked at my arm. I saw little blood spittles dotted along the inside of my elbow and said, "I don't know, I thought the muffler of the chainsaw bumped and burnt me" (I was about 12 at the time). he goes, "Aw man! Look at this!" and made me look at my tricep and I saw an inch and a half long cut, not very deep, but it was there. His Dad took me to the hospital and I got 4 stitches. Almost lost my arm that day.

This next one is also true, and I live with it everyday of my life, for likely the rest of my life. It's much worse than the first story and anyone with a weak stomach may not want to read it. I've told this story a few times already around the net and frankly, I'm getting a little tired of repeating it, but I will.

I had an old 1976 Ford Elite. It was a rusted out beater I bought for $400. It ran fine but obviously had some electrical problems, not that I ever noticed anything amiss. It was a bright and sunny day and I was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and a pair of cheap sunglasses. It was August 13, 1991 (not a Friday) My Dad was at work, my brother and sister were at school (I graduated about 3 years prior) and my Mom and Aunt just left to go to the grocery store.
I decided to check the oil. Checking the oil required me to stand over the battery to reach the oil dipstick. As I said, the car apparently had electrical problems....I heard what sounded to me like "Buh" and it knocked my head back. The car's battery blew up. It blew the whole top of the battery off.
After hearing the "buh" and having my head thrown back and my sunglasses obliterated, all I could hear after that was an intense ringing in my ears and I had a nasty taste in my mouth and a vague pain in my head. In case you ever wondered, battery acid tastes like Zima mixed with Alka-Seltzer. Nasty stuff.
I stood there gasping and spitting out battery acid and headed towards the porch. When I got to the main driveway (we had a little annex added to the driveway for an extra car, where mine was parked), I noticed blood dripping at an alarming rate. I thought maybe my mouth was bleeding. I put my hand up to catch some of the blood (I was in shock at this point, but I remember everything like it was slow-motion) and discovered it wasn't coming from my mouth. It was coming from my right eye. I ran in the house and grabbed a washcloth. I ran it under water and put it up to my eye. The cloth quickly became very soaked with blood. I stared at it for a second and ran into the bathroom to look in a mirror. I had popped my right eye. I looked at my hand holding the cloth and saw my iris in it (the color part of your eye that opens and closes depending on light). I kinda freaked out at this point. No one was home and my left eye, which was fine other than the acid in it was starting to cloud my vision. I ran to the phone and who do you think I called? The ambulance? No. I called my work to tell them I wouldn't be in the next day because I think I just lost my eye. The secretary said I did sound very upset and told me to hang-up the phone and call the ambulance. I hung up and called my friend instead.
rolleyes.gif

He wasn't very happy because he just came home from a relative's funeral, but he heard how freaked out I was and showed up within 5 minutes.
By this time, I could barely see at all. The battery acid had nearly completely clouded my vision. I made my way to the back porch and sat there with the cloth to my eye. My friend came skidding into he driveway, ho took one look at me and ran to the phone to call an ambulance. The showed up in just a couple minutes (I lived very close to 2 different hospital...still do as a matter of fact) and told me to calm down. Apparently I was pacing back and forth and wasn't being very cooperative. They got me to sit down and started flushing the eye with sterilized water. That was when I finally started feeling real pain. The water burned as they poured it over my face. It was at this time that my Mom and Aunt came back from the store and THEY started freaking out.
I was rushed to the burn unit at the hospital. Long story short, I was there for five days.

I now forever see in two dimensions. While my right eye still can technically see, there is no lens (focus) and no iris (described above) and the cornea (surface of the eye over the pupil) was a transplant. I also had a hole just above the eyelid that the docs told me if it would have gone another centimeter, it would have hit my brain. I spent 5 days in the hospital initially, with subsequent visits for the cornea transplant. Everything in that eye is just one big blur. There are lots of aberration's and astigmatisms in that eye now. A point of light in the dark kinda looks like a Star Trek: The next Generation comm badge turned 1/4 counter-clockwise. I have to wear sunglasses during the day, even if it's cloudy. The weeks that followed were marked with the worst headaches I've ever had. Not to mention the multitudes of brand new optical illusions I had to deal with because of no depth perception. I had to learn to drive all over again because angles looked different than they did before. Backing up was the hardest to re-learn.

Vision was my "gift". Before the accident, I had 20/10 vision in both eyes. Now I just have 20/20 in the one eye I have left.

I've been told that I could possibly gain some vision in that eye again with one of those lens implants like they do for cataracts patients, but the best I could hope for would be 20/40 in that eye and I would have to get it changed every 10 years or it would atrophy in the eye....that means it would rot if I didn't change it. I haven't had that operation.

Many people, before the accident, said they never saw me unhappy. Now, most people say I'm a depressing person. How would you feel if your "gift" was taken from you?

I'm sure my story is the most tragic you'll see here. I'm sure it will certainly be the longest. But it's all absolutely true. :'(

Phillyman

Trophies
Website
www.gamingmagz.com
XP
Country
United States
At age 7 I was swinging around a piece of wire and caught the frayed strands of the end just under my pupil. I now have a scar on my eyeball that is visible if i pull down the lower lid

At about the same age, after watching "The Karate Kid" the next day on the school bus some kid called me dumb and I back kicked him and broke his arm (3 days before picture day)

Gnuh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I was young (age 2-3) My older brother (age 3-4) threw a brick at my head. My parents freaked out and thought I was going to die because of the intense bleeding from my skull. I got something like 13 stitches and now have a scar about 3.5 inches long along my hairline.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
When I was thirteen, I lived in a 20 story condominium in a resort town (Ocean City, MD.) My dad was the manager of the building and I had "borrowed" keys to some of the units on the 19th floor, which was unfinished at the time. None of the units on that floor were occupied, so it was like a secret playground for me and a couple of select friends. One Friday afternoon, me and a buddy were up there, smoking cigarettes and throwing water balloons off of balconies and the like. When we got bored we headed out to the elevators to go down to the beach. While waiting for an elevator to get there, I had the bright idea to try to jump up and wack the exit sign. I'd tried before but I was really short and never made it before. This time I got it! I smacked it with my hand, and then in slow-mo, just kinda hung there for what seemed like a little too long. At this point a picture is in order.

exitsign.jpg

My middle finger had gotten hooked on the pointy part of the stamped-out X and ripped down about an inch and a half. It didn't really hurt much but cripes that was a lot of blood. We waited for the elevator for at least five minutes. It seemed like forever, but It was Friday rush and everybody was busy checking into their condos for the weekend. I was afraid to take the stairs because I was bleeding like crazy anyway, and the thought of what 19 flights would do to my heart rate was disconcerting to say the least. So we waited. Finally we heard one of the elevators coming up.. and going past.. to the 20th floor. It came back down a couple of minutes later, and the guy in the elevator tied a handkerchief very tightly around my wrist to stop the bleeding. I was about to fall asleep at that point, but they got me to the doctor and I got nine stitches, and a splint on my middle finger that made for a really nice bird-flip. It's fine now, got a nice little scar out of it, and no feeling in one side of my finger. Not too horrible an accident, but there we are.

edit: I just flipped back and read Rayder's... holy mackerel son!

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
When I was in Year 8 me and my mate had a competition to see who could clime this fence we had near our Science room. I beat him, only because the assistant principal was coming and he didn't want to get in trouble. When I got down about 10 kids started yelling at me telling he was coming. So being me I jumped over the fence but I didn't notice(or feel) my wrist get cut . When I got down my entire arm was dripping with blood. I covered my arm with my jumper and told him I had to go to Sick Bay(the assistant principal was taking my class as a substitute teacher). My cut got infected and I had to take penicillin for 2 weeks and I have a little scar underneath my wrist. Yea that's my accident guys

Danieluz

Trophies
XP
Country
I burnt both my hands when I was little... My left hand still has some scars, my right one doesn't. Anyway, when I arrived at the hospital, they told my mom, my left hand was ready to be eaten lol It was burnt really bad... I'll post a picture later if requested lol

skullstatue

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I almost died when I accidentally inhaled some chlorine fumes, everything went blue and I fell over. My brother also jump kicked my friend in the head, he was out for thirty minutes and then woke up laughing like an idiot. Yeah, there are about three really bad ones, but I'm not going to share them.

shootme

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
This happened when I was 2 years old so i dont remember it, only heard of it from my parents and i have a scar to proof it, and I dont think it was life threatning but still quite funny.

I have been told that the whole thing started when i where playing in the living room, i where running around and suddenly i fell and hit my head on a corner of a table or something, it started to blead and so my parent brougt me to the doctor, I got a couple of stitches and where sent home. about an hour later I where playing again, in a different room, but gues what? i managed to fall and hit my head in the exact same spot so i had to go back to the doctor and get new stitches, and when I got home the second time the stitches just fell off and it was back to the doctor again.

so now I have a 2-3 cm long scar on my forehead
frown.gif

But the best part is that my parents says that I didn't cry, not even when I hit the spot the second time
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs