Hacking Hacks to improve standby battery life by turning off all the extra crap?

ital

OP
Trophies
XP
Seeing as the standard n3DS battery life is horrendous in standby mode thanks to all of the crap that its passively running compared to the "Once its closed we're in full sleep mode" OG DS I was wondering if there have been any tweaks, mods and hacks that allow us to turn off all of the extraneous features?

I'm not interested in counting steps, streetpass and whatever else is draining the battery whilst the lid is closed so all of them could be done away with so it just pauses the game when the top is dropped.

Any ideas?

AyanamiRei

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't want to insult you, but if you don't want any of the sleep mode features to be active, why don't you simply turn off the machine?

@replicashooter It make smore sense, thanks.
I only did that once (accidentally) with a 2DS and I found it 5days later with enough energy to not be in the "red LED zone" (though it became red after less than two minutes as soon as I unveiled the sleep mode). I wasn't aware that the n3DS battery had a shorter duration and I am surprised (since it was supposed to be a "deluxe" model).

About homebrews, I don't think it is possible right now since I know no amateur program that supports the sleep mode.

Last edited by AyanamiRei,

ital

OP
Trophies
XP
I don't want to insult you, but if you don't want any of the sleep mode features to be active, why don't you simply turn off the machine?

A perfectly sane and logical question my friend, no insult warning required. The reason is this:

I like occasionally playing on a game and then putting it to the side to play again, it may be within a couple of hours or it may be a couple of weeks. Generally its when my machine is rendering or some other similar task and having to go through the full turn on/off thing renders using the 3DS a moot point as the ease of just opening and closing it ala DS is what I'm after, hence my question.

The DS handled this task admirably, as did the Vita but the 3DS just sucks the battery in standby mode which puts a crimp on its use to me in my particular environment.

Last edited by ital,
Reactions: AyanamiRei

ital

OP
Trophies
XP
So any ideas? After looking around it appears StreetPass is the main culprit for draining the battery in standby, how can we disable it?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Yes. But that still keeps the pedometer and related stuff active which in turns drains battery.
If your battery is draining fast enough to notice it I think you need a new battery. My console lasts like a week in sleep mode.

ital

OP
Trophies
XP
If your battery is draining fast enough to notice it I think you need a new battery. My console lasts like a week in sleep mode.

Maybe I'm just used to the DS as it lasted an eternity in sleep mode (as well as action) compared to the 3DS. The console is brand new so I don't think the battery is an issue in that sense.

I might be wrong but just closing the screens isn't a very deep "sleepmode" at all, what you want to do is press the powerbutton once then close the screens?

I'll give that a try as I usually just close the screens in mid gaming, thanks.

Dude just shut down you 3ds. 10 seconds for startup isn't very long (it's longer when you are a menuhax peasant).

I know but I'm part of the entitled generation that wants its all, now :D Plus I'm used to the old DS style of gameplay and mainly just flip it open when I've got a few minutes free.

I'm quite surprised that the 3DS CFW scene isn't like the PSP one where people were chopping out PRXs and generally fine tuning their console to their hearts desire.

dotqurter_

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Most of the reason why the PSP scene is like that is because the PSP has more developer-type kits made for it.

The DS/DS-light was like that because it had lower resolutions, barely any networking, and it didn't use resource-intensive stuff like 3d, and everything was in semi-pixelated goodness. Not to mention, it wasn't being security-patched every 2 months, which added even MORE coding (probably terrible coded patches that use a lot of intensive system calls).

3DS has limitations on its starting. A9LH still needs a starting firmware to START the console+load A9LH, and since the firmware is needed to start A9LH, you can't really add a true "CFW". To add a true "CFW", we would have to find another exploit to bypass the console-specific NAND "keys", which no-one has found an exploit allowing them to be dumped/decrypted. After that, we'd still need to have full NAND read/write data unencrypted, plus a lot more coding to use the modified code in the NAND AND A9LH to have a redirect to the "actual" custom firmware on the NAND from the original starting firmware. Not only that, but to prevent us from full-bricking our NAND, we would also have to modify the console-specific "SHA256" dump to read our modified NAND, and this would require so much work and more resources (like a "true" Nintendo dev kit that has none of the copyright bullcrap), and some more understanding of how many of these keys/NAND/encryption work. (at least that's my understanding)

Last edited by dotqurter_,
Reactions: ital and emuashui

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Turn off wifi when not using it as well as enable battery saver. Lower brightness too i guess?
  • You may need a new battery.
  • NOTE: GBA VC games do not have sleep function and will not save battery when closed so if that is what you could be talking about. Just checking.
Maybe someone can create a homebrew to test battery health? :unsure:

Reactions: ital

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's 3DSident, I guess you could test a 3DS by having a brand new one go to sleep at the same time then check the exact battery percentage with 3DSident twice a day or something.
Never heard of this. I may try it, thank. :)

I still wish there was some kind of homerew browser to download homebrew with the loader. I noticed some homebrew are only in 3dsx HBL format and not home menu CIA format.:unsure:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

According to this 3DSident I just got, it says battery voltage 205.... Not sure what it means but anyway, I wasn't the one with the problem so not sure if that is good or not.

Reactions: ital

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah maybe I misremembered. I thought it had percentage I guess you can work it out by seeing what the voltage is at fully charged.
Well it says how much the battery has charged, 95% then it says if is charging or not, then the voltage which is 205, maybe i got the wrong one. For some reason when i checked the titledb.com thing in fbi installer, it had two of the same things... so i dunno.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Apperently they both do the same thing, except they have different title id and can be installed at the same time and the menu look different. One has categorys to select information, the other displays all of it on one screen in multicolor text, but it still says the same thing. Now it dropped to 204 :P

Reactions: Quantumcat and ital

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good morning