Hacking Pokemon Soul Silver Overlay/ARM files

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by MNOPYZ Strife, Jan 5, 2012.

1. MNOPYZ Strife
    OP

Member MNOPYZ Strife Actionscript Programmer

Libya
    Okay, this is the current state;

I'm making a hack of Pokemon Soul Silver that's gonna be called "Pokemon Clear Crystal" (if anyone's interested in checking the progress or helping or anything, click here) and I've reached as far as hacking the title screen's top screen, but now I'm attempting to hack the bottom screen...

...But the bottom screen uses 3D model files. What I want to do is replace the bottom screen's swimming Lugia with a running lucario picture (special thanks to my teammate Black Ice) and the picture of the running Lucario is 2D. I was told that I'd have to hack the Overlay/ARM files to tell the rom to read a .NCGR file instead of a .bmd0 file, and that's where my question comes in.

I asked him if I could use any tool to find where the Overlay/ARM data was for the Swimming Lugia 3D model, He said it was impossible. So I'm guessing the only way to find the data is by using a Hex editor. Some people were able to discover what each file in the HG/SS file system does...not only that. But they were also able to discover what each byte does in evolution data/pokemon stats data etc do...

So they must have had some kind of strategy or something to be able to translate all of that data...so what I want to know is how do I translate what every few bytes of data in the Overlay/ARM files do? I've searched everywhere for a translator and none exist, so there must be some kind of strategy to doing it...

( not exactly sure "Strategy" is the word for it but you get what I mean :P )

2. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    edit: from your pm - Since I am underestimating you figure it out yourself.

2 people like this.
  3. MNOPYZ Strife
    OP

Member MNOPYZ Strife Actionscript Programmer

Libya
    Oops...I guess I forgot to mention that I already have the swimming Lugia 3D model file, and I was even able to open it with 3DS max...and the guy that told me that I need to hack the Overlay/ARM files already knew that I was able to open the file with 3DS max...just a little extra info :)

...And about the name, I'm not perfectly 100% sure it's the actual name, but when I used NSBMD editor to view the bottom screen and take out the Lugia model, it was called "screencap.obj", but I think it's probably just what NSBMD editor decided to call it...

...And Tinke (a viewer tool) called the file (not the 3D model, the file the 3D model was in, I'm thinking in all it's the 3D model + textures) told me the file was called "file21.bmd0"...yet again, it probably just gave it its own name again...besides, I checked the ARM and Overlay files...I couldn't find a single thing I could consider a file name...it was full of random characters on the text string side, and as always, random numbers on the hex side.

And I can't just overwrite the 3D bottom screen with a 2D one, I tried replacing the 3D .bmd0 file with the 2D .NCGR file. Super crash. Which is why I wanna change the Overlay/ARM data.

And besides, I might make a 3D title screen with the help of my teammates, but it's a last resort, and I don't have much time at all for reasons that are very depressing.

.....................And by the way...............could you give me a link to this "arm 9 and arm 7 asm"?......................

Also, thank you for helping, every bit helps the hack :lol: EDIT: Actually, I think I'm gonna make the bottom screen a 3D lucario instead and save myself the pain, and even make it look better. This is what enforced me to make the Lucario 3D bottom screen, It's the result of replacing the Lugia .bmd0 file with the ho-oh one without changing animation:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
       Freaky, right? well, it just implies that; when I get my hands on a 3D lucario (I'm thinking of getting one from pokemon battle revolution or maybe Super Smash bros. brawl) I absolutely shouldn't forget to make animations :P  Which reminds me, how do I make a 3D model into a .bmd0 / .nsbmd file? is there some kind of converter? I also need to figure out how to make animations...

4. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    edit: from your p.m - figure it out yourself.