Hackers Turn a Gmail April Fool’s Joke Into a Reality

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Zorua, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Zorua
    OP

Zorua Newbie

[​IMG]
    If you happened upon the Internet Friday, you would have been faced with what has now become an annual tradition online: Technology companies trying to one-up each other with April Fool’s jokes posted online.

Google, for one, takes its April Fool’s gags very seriously. This year was no exception. Users of Gmail, Google’s e-mail service, were told about a new product, Gmail Motion, which would allow people to “control Gmail with your body!”

The company created an in-depth video explaining how this new mock service would work, where users could literally bounce around in front of their computer to sift through their inbox. Swinging a fist backward through the air would allow you to reply to a message; swinging two fists would reply-to-all; licking your hand — intended to be a stamp — and then tapping your right knee would send the message.

Of course this was all a joke. But hackers at the University of Southern California Institute for Creative Technologies wanted to make it a reality. To do this, a team of developers took a Microsoft Kinect sensor and some software they had built for previous projects and tied them together to create a fully working version of Gmail Motion.[/p]
    [​IMG] Source
    [​IMG] Video

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Given that the technology to do this was already made and being used in a similar fashion, not all that impressive.
    Still cool though.

3. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    It's cool that they had the enthusiasm to do it.

4. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i noticed that motion thing. i didn't know if it was a joke, but like many things google i didn't care.

5. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    SLOOW and FAAST?

but i still like typing better.

6. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    Google should be making voice recognition readily available for everyone instead of losing their time with kinect. I don't know anyone who use voice reconition on their computer and the technology has existed for ??? years. Do you?

7. Zorua
    OP

Zorua Newbie

Nope, but I use it on my Android phone for Voice Dialing. It's really handy so I don't see why computers don't use it.

8. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    this won't work for me. for some reason, i find it hard to speak with a phone or pc. in fact, in my years of using a cell phone, i only had around 20 calls.

9. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    what if it was a conspiracy and google WANTED hackers to do so... or like gbatemp, it was meant to look like a gag but infact was a reality

10. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Because unless you take the time to train a voice recognition app, the accuracy is less than desirable due to dialects and accents.

11. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    Google. Got. Pwned.

Those hackers are pretty good, though

12. Gh0sti

Member Gh0sti iOS Guru

United States
    google didnt get pwned it was just a joke that was shown to be true its not a slam more like this can and will be done, i had suspicions that it could be done with kinect its just the right people had to set it up

13. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    About voice recognition, try using it with a strong scottish accent, I dare you. [​IMG]

Also quite neat that it was actually done.

14. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I've tried it.
    It's slower.
    Speaking a sentence to have the computer click a button, versus clicking one yourself...

Speech stuff actually slows down normally-functioning people, that's why it's not used.

15. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    There are times when it can be useful. For example, Voice Controls for Android is pretty nice, for example if you need to focus on driving rather than texting, or if you want to play an album without having to navigate through the whole collection. Even with computers, it can still be faster to dictate an e-mail or paper rather than type the whole thing, depending on how well the computer interprets your voice and how much you need to go back and correct.

16. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    Try Dragon Naturally Speaking on your computer.
    Then tell me voice recognition/commands should be implemented natively in computers.

17. naved.islam14

Member naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sri Lanka
    Wow, I remember being fooled by that one. But won't google like sue them for copying their idea?

18. alphenor

Newcomer alphenor Advanced Member

Nope coz Google can't do so coz Google Motion was just a joke that would perhaps be made (by Google) into reality a few years later. And since they clearly stated that it was a joke, those hackers can do whatever they want. [​IMG]

19. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Yeah, they must have copyrighted the fuck out of Google Motion and would definitely see suing these copycat hackers as a great chance to boost their reputation.

20. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States

I have...and I have found that Voice Recognition software is for the technically inept and/or people who can't type with any amount of speed. I can type way faster than Dragon can spit out words.