Hacker manages to steal an estimated $2 million worth of items from a CS:GO player

On June 21st, Twitter user ohnePixel reported a major breach in the CS:GO skin trading community. A player apparently by the name of caseapia had their account compromised, containing what was claimed by ohnePixel to be one of the most expensive inventories, containing many rare items and skins. The items were said to total somewhere above 2 million USD; a major blow to the CS:GO trading community. Half of the items are said to be on a trade hold, and will be in the hacker's inventory once that hold is finished, as revealed by a follow-up Tweet. The other half of the said items were quicksold and are now missing. The cause appears to have been the hacker compromising caseapia's Steam account and gaining access to all of their Counter-Strike: Global Offensive items and trading them off before the account owner could change their credentials. Currently, Valve has not commented on the matter.

SaberLilly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wanna know how this account was even compromised in the first place. If i had 2 million dollars worth of just "sitting" on an account you can bet your bottom dollar that i would have layers upon layers of authentication setup. I would laugh myself to death if it was revealed he had no account security.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well... Always found those things silly. If it's worth anything, just sell it.
I would not trust having anything worth over 100€ on my steam account.

Reactions: ZeroFX

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
do you even have rich friends? from my experience of having many, guys like you that make comments like this are jz poor like me lol. amount like this don't really bother them, they spend what makes them happy and that's the point for them. poor dudes like you and me getting really lucky in investment probably won't even reach much of their wealth in our lifetime, jz kickback and watch, there is much more rich smurf in real life than u think
I'm definitely not "jz poor" or whatever that mean, i won't be specific because this is pointless and even dangerous sometimes, on the internet. And i don't consider getting lucky in one case I opened for fun then selling to get a console i probably wouldn't get so soon (weak hacking scene at the time) as investment though, also you don't do investments while praying for luck, that's the recipe of getting "jz poor" by losing everything, what i said is why keep such a high value inventory just to show when he can sell all of that and invest in something solid, he definitely felt losing that money (and status).
While i don't think it's important, i definitely been in a handful or two parties full of "rich smurf" so i know how frivolous some people can be around money and that's the image it passes, and stays, to people like you so i understand.
Inb4 "hehe I knew you would say 'I'm not poor' my fellow poor guy"

Reactions: Skelletonike

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well... Always found those things silly. If it's worth anything, just sell it.

I could see it being a reasonable little earner enough to hang onto things (rare today and never printed again is super rate tomorrow), and to do some kind of trade setup for someone to have that one specific item that amuses them/find that one item that amuses them ("I want this, I have [all this] and happy to trade" sort of thing).

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I could see it being a reasonable little earner enough to hang onto things (rare today and never printed again is super rate tomorrow), and to do some kind of trade setup for someone to have that one specific item that amuses them/find that one item that amuses them ("I want this, I have [all this] and happy to trade" sort of thing).
If something I had reached that amount, I'd just sell and invest into a proper business.
Unless of course, he doesn't really care or need the money. That and I'm not really a fan of pixels being worth that much money.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am confused as to why this warranted front page. It’s not like some major exploit was found or hundreds of players were compromised. It was one dude with too much money.
Was not me the did the deed but quirks, amusements and recognising of the amount of money that is in play that people would not necessarily think of (give or take Eastern Europe is CSGO that much of a thing these days?)... happily wins itself a spot from where I sit.
If something I had reached that amount, I'd just sell and invest into a proper business.
Unless of course, he doesn't really care or need the money. That and I'm not really a fan of pixels being worth that much money.
If this venture if making "proper business" levels of money (even more so as a side hustle -- once a day/twice a day do some trades for people and list things/answer emails... I have had harder jobs) then there could be justification (beyond the sentimentality some seem to show ""their"" businesses*) to stay in the game.
As far as pixels (though being a pedant I would have to wonder if this is in fact texels) being worth money then I agree, however it still means nothing in the face of "something is worth what someone else is willing to pay" and it seems people do pay.

*I often get dragged in as magic computer/technical fixing man for some people doing business consulting (all manner of things from restaurants to workshops) and you would not believe the amount people wish to hang onto names, failing ventures that are going nowhere fast (I am not necessarily one for the "only do a business if it is going to make you six figs/seven figs" mindset but there is very much a floor), good money thrown after bad and such like (there is also a reason you are told never to name a business after yourself, especially not your first).

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Was not me the did the deed but quirks, amusements and recognising of the amount of money that is in play that people would not necessarily think of (give or take Eastern Europe is CSGO that much of a thing these days?)... happily wins itself a spot from where I sit.
I am not one to say what can or can’t be posted, just seems silly to me. This was one person and most likely compromised by a failure in security on the user’s end. I guess this could just be a cautionary tale. Have proper authentication processes in check and make sure your security is tight, else you end up like this dude.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The only thing giving it any worth is that it won't be replicated
FTtoQLuXwAY5RlL.png

Oh oops, now I have infinite of those skins and items, how did that happen :v

I personally think ingame items are worthless and I do not put any substantial amount of money into having them.
Same, and I don't understand putting a price to something that is basically infinite and so meaningless.
I could understand if it was actually a physical object that is actually unique, say a painting or statue from some guy from a billion years ago, but stuff that can be easily replicated, but is not for arbitrary reasons, just makes no sense, imo.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
If you wouldn't buy $2,000,000 of CSG gear, why wouldn't you just sell it all if you had it? Buying and not selling is the same difference, unless it's not really worth two million.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you wouldn't buy $2,000,000 of CSG gear, why wouldn't you just sell it all if you had it? Buying and not selling is the same difference, unless it's not really worth two million.
Various reasons.
I don't know what the market size is for CSGO skins and whatnot but too much selling tends to drive prices down so you tend to have to space that out. Said 2 million might have been if everybody paid current asking price with cash which is a bit of a fanciful notion but common enough way of costing things (especially for the purposes of thefts and insurance).

Similarly some things appreciate in price as time goes on -- time since launch (or launch window), used by some big player/clan in a tournament, used by a silly video the kids want to ape, quantity on market (if some players drop off as time goes on their stuff might go with them and thus make it really hard to get)... That is to say it is an investment vehicle of sorts.

You might also trade for things and that tends to work better when a larger pool of items is available (if we are to barter like savages then we suffer what is termed the double coincidence of wants -- you might want some of my eggs but if all you have is tomatoes then as I think tomatoes are truly disgusting things then unless you are going to give me enough to mulch down into compost it is not going to happen, saving that I think I can trade the tomatoes on and at that point we are slowly reinventing money and are at my point of this aside). This goes even more if it is random drops and a "known" rarity -- you get something said to be rare but does not meet your aesthetic preferences and you might wander along to an individual like this and say I like this and have this, what do we need to make it happen (the item holder presumably coming back with something like I will give you 75% of current sale price and you then need to pay me $50 on top of that with the $50 being your if not profit then cash income).

edwardbarnett

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Omg, this leads to a scandal in the game society. I guess now users are a little scared that it can happen to them. Well, people try to earn money by whatever method exists, and that is awful. the person who had this account maybe worked all his life to buy the skins and items he had, and that's just not fair. Why didn't he find a job or create a business? It's better to do something legally than after that have problems. Btw business is a great opportunity to get and save money, so I encourage people to try arranging it, learn more and inspire themselves by reading additional resources.

Last edited by edwardbarnett,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr