Hacker manages to steal an estimated $2 million worth of items from a CS:GO player

On June 21st, Twitter user ohnePixel reported a major breach in the CS:GO skin trading community. A player apparently by the name of caseapia had their account compromised, containing what was claimed by ohnePixel to be one of the most expensive inventories, containing many rare items and skins. The items were said to total somewhere above 2 million USD; a major blow to the CS:GO trading community. Half of the items are said to be on a trade hold, and will be in the hacker's inventory once that hold is finished, as revealed by a follow-up Tweet. The other half of the said items were quicksold and are now missing. The cause appears to have been the hacker compromising caseapia's Steam account and gaining access to all of their Counter-Strike: Global Offensive items and trading them off before the account owner could change their credentials. Currently, Valve has not commented on the matter.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that someone could own that much wealth in game skins is somehow more ridiculous to me than nft sales - which had hitherto been the most ridiculous art scam in my mind

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've managed to get a $300+ knife once (on my first and only case i've opened xD), then i sold and bought a switch, this guy should have done the same... I mean, don't want to be ironic like the usual 2 braincells around here but 2 million on a account? even being steam, you're dumb if you just leave it there, invest that money make it grow, be smarter.

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good....we need a lot more of this....needs to keep happening to everyone that does that stupid shit till people realize micro transactions and buying/selling in game items is a plague on the gaming community and needs to be stopped permanently!

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, if the dude had a list of everything they had the devs can easily just give it to their account. Plus you have a valid point, what is it really worth if it can just be replicated.
The only thing giving it any worth is that it won't be replicated, which means if the devs give this person their items back the market would crash as these ingame items would lose any worth to anyone who has them. This should be a 100% guarantee that the devs will not restore the items no matter what they are worth.

I personally think ingame items are worthless and I do not put any substantial amount of money into having them.

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 mil in a game!, they should be either super rich, or an account made by the devs themselves so that people would want to buy items or they are hackers themselves.

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
True, if the dude had a list of everything they had the devs can easily just give it to their account. Plus you have a valid point, what is it really worth if it can just be replicated.
I'll do you one better: the devs should be aware of what his possessions were.

And wouldn't that action destroy the perceived value, anyway? Imaginary money is "fun".

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've managed to get a $300+ knife once (on my first and only case i've opened xD), then i sold and bought a switch, this guy should have done the same... I mean, don't want to be ironic like the usual 2 braincells around here but 2 million on a account? even being steam, you're dumb if you just leave it there, invest that money make it grow, be smarter.
Now I am going to have to go look up rates of item "worth" appreciation on CSGO -- while I imagine somewhat huge volatility is going to make it hard (that is before any kind of power creep is considered, assuming they are not all cosmetic)

I am also not going to bet against prices going up faster than many stock portfolios in normal times though.

That said as far as one account then yeah that is classic keeping eggs in one basket.

Somehow everything feels like a pyramid scheme honestly, either get rich quick or die
Such things have been noted. It is generally put down to people seeing it happen and thinking it could happen to them, general stupidity (be it greater fool or otherwise) and economic hardship faced by most people that would move in such markets (if 4.5x annual salary is tippy top amount for a mortgage and you will work your hands to the bone paying that one off then... https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/pay-salary/average-salary-in-us have you seen many houses for ~$250000 these days (never mind if you are paying back ridiculous student loans and were foolish enough to get a car on credit, or slipped one past the goalie and are paying for a kid or three) https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/median-home-price-by-state.

Good....we need a lot more of this....needs to keep happening to everyone that does that stupid shit till people realize micro transactions and buying/selling in game items is a plague on the gaming community and needs to be stopped permanently!
I don't know that I can get there. Has basically every instance I have seen thus far of real money transactions for in game items been flawed in the extreme? Yeah. Does it have to be so? I can see good paths to things, especially if some kind of real skill is involved -- pointing at something like roblox (or flash games in days of yore) would make the ancap side of me swell with joy at cheap child labour but the principle is there for something interesting to happen.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Valve are very reluctant to "duplicate items these days. Trades now carry a warning, they also point out risks in one way trades.

This is an unusual occurance.

Last edited by yoyoyo69,

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
The fact that someone could own that much wealth in game skins is somehow more ridiculous to me than nft sales - which had hitherto been the most ridiculous art scam in my mind
It´s not any more an "art scam" than selling and buying the Mona Lisa.
The Mona Lisa has no worth to me. But I wouldn´t ridicule those who want to have it. To each his own. Supply and demand.

gempugs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you even have rich friends? from my experience of having many, guys like you that make comments like this are jz poor like me lol. amount like this don't really bother them, they spend what makes them happy and that's the point for them. poor dudes like you and me getting really lucky in investment probably won't even reach much of their wealth in our lifetime, jz kickback and watch, there is much more rich smurf in real life than u think

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr