'Hacked'/Korean Mii Names for Wii U

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Isle41, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Isle41
    OP

Isle41 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    Gambia, The
    I was wondering if there was a way to get hacked mii names onto the Wii U. I'm not so much interested in the private use symbols (which Nintendo makes A buttons and other things with), primarily Korean names (which you can get from QR Codes, if you have a Korean 3DS).
    Would doing a transfer from the vWii->Wii U work? Would getting them on the vWii be a process of mii installer?

Thank you.

2. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    it should, try a Mii Installer that uses d2x (249,250,251) or you try one via cIOS236 via MMM or any other launcher that can reload to another IOS.
    to get them on the Wii U side, you should be able to transfer them from the vWii to the Wii U using the Wii U Mii Channel.

3. damysteryman

damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Oct 4, 2007
    Unfortunately not, I am afraid.

The main Mii I used on my Wii had Korean characters in its name too. It transferred from Wii -> vWii fine (even though on non-Korean systems the characters are rendered as [?], except in a Korean game, where it would render fine).

However, Transferring from vWii -> Wii U Mii Maker... it does not recognize the name and therefore replaces it with ???, just like on the 3DS (At least a non-Korean one anyway).

So, long story short, vWii yes, Wii U no.
    Makes me wonder what Nintendo will do when Wii U is released in Korea... I guess maybe they would make a system update for compatibility by then?

4. Isle41
    OP

Isle41 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Nope.
    You can get Korean names from QR Codes and the Wii U supports Korean natively. You can transfer Korean Miis from a non Korean 3DS to the Wii U (so long as you got it from a QR Code).
    In Korea I expect them to have yet a 'different' console than everyone else, again.

Looks like I'll be buying a Korean 3DS sometime for lulz.

If you want proof of my 2 statements:
    http://blog.naver.com/k020315?Redirect=Log&logNo=70150471213
    And just navigate to any Korean site using the web browser (like naver).

5. damysteryman

damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Oct 4, 2007
    Hmm, well that is strange... that is what happened to my Mii when I tried transferring it to Wii U or 3DS, the name changed to ???.

However, scanning the QR code from the link you posted worked fine, the Mii's name did not change... I suppose right at this moment, to transfer a Korean named Mii from Wii to Wii U would require either a Korean 3DS or Korean Wii U as a middleman to generate a compatible QR code out of it, and then use that...

6. Isle41
    OP

Isle41 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    Gambia, The
    I believe QR Codes can force any symbol, of course I have no proof, but it seems likely.
    Until some basic QR Code Maker is released (name+client id is all that's really needed..........), buying a Korean 3DS is my Cheapest bet.

Although, if I were really desperate, I wonder if we region changed our vWii to Korea, then tried to transfer it? Hmm, I'll import a Korean Wii U before I do that though XD