Hacking Hackable PS3 models and information

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
what are difference in phat and slim/super slim hardware?
is phat better for homebrew, emulation and backwards compatibility?

Also is better to buy phat for better ps3 games performance or are newer revisions such as slim and super slim better performance vise?

thanks

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They are all good .
PHAT: Most prone to die but it survived all these years... More loud, bulkier, all models are cfw.
SLIM: Maybe 1/3 of slim models can have cfw. It's probably the model you would ideally look for for easier use and longevity.
SUPERSLIM: Hen only which is almost the same depends on what you want to do.

Controllers are more a problem they are harder to come by. You can use a mix of keyboard,ds4 and ds5 and 3rd party. I use Hori wired ps4 myself.

PS3 has been superseded for homebrewing it's only really good for playing PS3 games; And most ps3 games are on PS4...

The RCPS3 emulator has made a great deal of progress and you can probably play most games if you have a good enough computer.

grcd

Trophies
XP
Country
They are all good .
PHAT: Most prone to die but it survived all these years... More loud, bulkier, all models are cfw.
SLIM: Maybe 1/3 of slim models can have cfw. It's probably the model you would ideally look for for easier use and longevity.

Controllers are more a problem they are harder to come by. You can use a mix of keyboard,ds4 and ds5 and 3rd party. I use Hori wired ps4 myself.

PS3 has been superseded for homebrewing it's only really good for playing PS3 games; And most ps3 games are on PS4...

The RCPS3 emulator has made a great deal of progress and you can probably play most games if you have a good enough computer.

I have a first gen phat that is just about ready to die. For some odd reason it plays PS2 games just fine. But with PS3 games it ylods and turns off within 10-15 minutes depending on how 3d intensive the game is. Gran Turismo kills it in like 30 seconds.

Can I salvage this PS3 to use for homebrew?

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a first gen phat that is just about ready to die. For some odd reason it plays PS2 games just fine. But with PS3 games it ylods and turns off within 10-15 minutes depending on how 3d intensive the game is. Gran Turismo kills it in like 30 seconds.

Can I salvage this PS3 to use for homebrew?
Yes and no. I would lose too much time on homebrew BUT if PS2 games work it's probably the best machines for that purpose. The compatibity is rocket high.

AND it was proven the first model PS3 chipsets was NOT FAULTY and some capacitors are responsible for most failures and those same capacitors were used in some of those years laptops and having the same problem. So I would hold on to it no matter what.

For homebrew/emulation, just use Android or PC, they are king in that domain. There is a PS3 emulator now...

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi.

I bought a PS3 80GB 4.81 CFW and I'd like to know how it works to install PS1, PS2, PS3, and PSP games. Plus, retro emulators, too.

Also, what's the maximum HDD storage PS3 allows? 2TB or 3TB? I wouldn't mind going with 5TB.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you mean internal storage, 1TB in most cases. you could have problems with something larger. PS1 goes in PSXISO and PSP goes in PSPISO iirc. PS3 goes in PS3ISO if an iso or in the games/gamez folder if it's a jailbreak folder. PS2 games go in PS2ISO and can only be used on internal.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are all good .

My PS3 80GB OFW runs very quiet and I like using it as it is. I've found it very convenient also to cast YouTube from mobile to PS3 though it was kinc of a pain to get the YT App running at first (the console kept rebooting as the app is kinda broken and needs to be installed in a specific manner).

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
PS3 Superslim model : has the advantage of being quiet, and even lower power consumption than slim model. Can do (almost) everything CFW does.

Cons: you have to launch Hen icon every time you reboot the console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end