Hacking Hackable PS3 models and information

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
OFW version 4.91 is out now.

Currently with firmware 4.90 you can use some sort of a hack. but this depends on the model and what you are after.

if you want a permanent CFW the models which can run 3.56 listed below are what you should look for is the firmware 3.56. as its the golden firmware.

if you are on higher you can use the HAN hack.

Phat PS3:
  • All Models can be downgraded
fat model.png

PS3 Slim:
  • 20XX
  • 21XX
  • Some 25XX models
slim model.png

PS3 Slim/Super Slim which can not be downgraded
  • Some 25XX Models
  • 3XXX
  • 4XXXA
  • 4XXXB
  • 4XXXC
3k.png

if you need a guide this is a good place to start.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-ps3-4-82-cfw-installation-for-dummies.491117/

if you have one of the newer model PS3's you can install the HAN exploit.

http://ps3xploit.me

i will create a guide for this in due time.

old thread with loads of info : https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-my-ps3-hackable.347355/

if you find any mistake(s) or something you think i should add. or if you want to create a guide which will be useful for this thread I'm more then happy to listen.

I normally don't recommend video on how to hack but this is great video tho

How to Install PS3HEN on Any PS3 on Firmware 4.88 or Lower.

This thread is work in progress.

Last edited by Flame,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Flame OK here are my suggestions :)

1- What ultimately matters for CFW compatibility is whether the console is metldr [1] or metldr2; while it's true that the minimum system version positively identifies by proxy the metldr version, and also of course that all consoles can be downgraded down to the stated version, I would avoid using that word - no modern modding process (whether hardmod or PS3Xploit flash writer) actually downgrades anything

2- Non-flashable consoles* are now officially recommended to use HEN (a temporary and (less and less) feature-limited CFW) instead of HAN

* all ones, actually, but why bother when you can have a proper CFW?

3- For anyone asking, there is no universally best model - however something can be said of two families: the (CECH-A, CECH-B, DECH-A) models with the best PS2 compatibility, and the CECH-21xx, the last guaranteed flashable model that's also the first high-thermal-and-power-efficiency one

Last edited by Ryccardo,
Reactions: Flame

wakawaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Am thinking to buy a used PS3....Understand from list above the best mod-able is PS3 fat & PS3 slim (20xx & 21xx).
Will mainly use the PS3 to play backups of PS3, PS2, PS1, PSP roms that will be transferred from windows PC to PS3 hard drive.
With PS3HEN would the PS3 slim 3xxx & PS3 super slim 4xxx be able to do that ? as these models are more available where I live (importing older models from ebay/amazon would cost a lot in shipping and taxes)

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Am thinking to buy a used PS3....Understand from list above the best mod-able is PS3 fat & PS3 slim (20xx & 21xx).
Will mainly use the PS3 to play backups of PS3, PS2, PS1, PSP roms that will be transferred from windows PC to PS3 hard drive.
With PS3HEN would the PS3 slim 3xxx & PS3 super slim 4xxx be able to do that ? as these models are more available where I live (importing older models from ebay/amazon would cost a lot in shipping and taxes)

well with PS3 fat & early PS3 slim you can downgrade and install old fashioned CFW...

with late PS3 slim & PS3 super slim you have to do the new hacks to be able to run what ever you what to run.

Reactions: wakawaka

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Datecode

according to this my PS3 says it is DATECODE = 0D
which means I can goto 3.55 guranteed even if its updated?
Data code and model are very indirect (and not guaranteed: motherboards can be swapped) ways of getting the information you really want

Metldr version 1 or 2 is the information you really want, which admittedly can't be directly figured out on an unmodded console

Doing a minverchk is therefore the next most accurate way of knowing that

By the way, while certainly you can, you don't have to downgrade anything to install CFW (whether you use a hardmod or the PS3Xploit Flash Writer, you're doing a "noFSM patch" whose whole point over older methods is not needing a downgrade) :)

dVeLoPe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Data code and model are very indirect (and not guaranteed: motherboards can be swapped)

I am the original owner of this console paid 321$ for it back in early 2011 and it's pretty much sat in the box ever since.
This is the 160GB BLACK OPS BUNDLE (yes the first one) and I can gurantee their has not been a finger inside this unit..

Thanks for the responce by the way just now starting to get back into these network/scenes have been around since the DREAMCAST days lol

Reactions: Ryccardo

Megadriver94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is firmware 3.55 considered the best firmware number overall hacking-wise,particularly when it comes to CFW, when firmwares 2.10-3.16 have more exploits and are better bets for Installing Linux onto the console via OtherOS?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Why is firmware 3.55 considered the best firmware number overall hacking-wise,particularly when it comes to CFW, when firmwares 2.10-3.16 have more exploits and are better bets for Installing Linux onto the console via OtherOS?

3.55 is really the last point where we had a point where we could install permanent CFW on some slims until Sony patched it. its really a entry point more then anything else.

so with CFW you can use normal PS3 stuff with added extra. such as OtherOS and what not.

Last edited by Flame,

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have an old phat ceche 01 model w/old cfw and it's on it's last leg so i'm looking into A slim model. What slim can I just install A cfw to and have it stay? Don't wanna load it everytime or solder anything in it. I remember 3.55 being the fw u want so what do u have to do to downgrade these slims?

Reactions: Megadriver94

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...