Hacking Hackable PS3 models and information

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm about to purchase PS3 Slim for the first time, model number: CECH-2504B, date code: 1A (I think, I've attached an image so that you can take a look).
Based on what's mentioned here, I believe that this model is CFW compatible?

What else should I look out for?
Thank you for your time.

1A = Q1 2011.

May or may not be ,right near the cutoff for shipping fw.

2501a/b is a wild card when you get ones that late. 250x from 2010 should be good.. not sure about like a December one but

Is there any option for the PS3 Slims that aren't easily hackable besides the whole apply the hack every time it boots thing? Cause I have two and the one I have hacked overheats.

Could get a 210x (guaranteed cfw) or 250x (as long as pre-2011 build) and benefit from non terrible capacitors and smaller nm chips that dont overheat anywhere near as frequently as phat and early slims

Reactions: Blythe93

NiQ1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It actually adds quite a lot. Evilnat had been working on 4.90.2 for many months, adding a lot of new features, but then Sony released 4.91 so (probably) 4.90.2 was abandoned but all of those new CFW features are included with Evilnat 4.91.
What features are those you speak of?

NiQ1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
What features are those you speak of?
tbh I'm not really sure what was already in 4.90 and what wasn't, so I can't give you a complete list but new features include the ability to change the console region, playing REDUMP ISOs without prior decryption (given that you have a matching IRD), ability to install DEX OFW on a converted console without bricking it, the complete deprecation of Rebug Toolbox (all Rebug features baked into the CFW), switch between PAL and NTSC for DVD movies, probably more.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh I'm not really sure what was already in 4.90 and what wasn't, so I can't give you a complete list but new features include the ability to change the console region, playing REDUMP ISOs without prior decryption (given that you have a matching IRD), ability to install DEX OFW on a converted console without bricking it, the complete deprecation of Rebug Toolbox (all Rebug features baked into the CFW), switch between PAL and NTSC for DVD movies, probably more.
That's actually pretty cool.

I bought a 2nd PS3 for use elsewhere and will be installing 4.90 CFW or whatever when it arrives.

I'll probably just install a few homebrew apps, some PSN games, and a few retail games. No point using the PSN Store on PS3 anymore.

Sony better not do the same on PS4 as it's still going strong (since PS5 isn't all that much of an upgrade i.e. lack of games).

Reactions: Blythe93

NiQ1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
That's actually pretty cool.

I bought a 2nd PS3 for use elsewhere and will be installing 4.90 CFW or whatever when it arrives.

I'll probably just install a few homebrew apps, some PSN games, and a few retail games. No point using the PSN Store on PS3 anymore.

Sony better not do the same on PS4 as it's still going strong (since PS5 isn't all that much of an upgrade i.e. lack of games).
A few bugs have been reported and fixed. I think that if no new bugs are discovered in the next few days we can consider Evilnat 4.91 to be truly complete, at which point there would be absolutely no reason to install 4.90 CFW anymore. The fact that the new CFW is based on a newer OFW doesn't really mean much because, as you said, the only difference in the OFW is updated Blu-Ray keys. It definitely doesn't screw with the ability to run homebrew (like some disinformed news outlets claimed).

Whether to update a console already on CFW is a different story. I'd say you only really need to update if you intend to use one of those new features, or if you wish to use PSN, because it's always better to use a CFW based on the latest OFW than to spoof your version.

NiQ1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
so um, the ps3 got an update recently yeah? im an idiot and updated
is there a way to jailbreak it still?
Yeah, all the firmware and tools have already been ported over to the new version. No need for any new detailed guides because the jailbreaking method is identical to what it used to, just make sure you use 4.91 CFW / HFW.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte