Hardware Hack Wii sensor bar?

Coolperez8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, what I want to do is be able to turn on a Wii sensor bar with a simple switch instead of powering on the console, the reason for this is I have a Wii and Wii U, and I don't wanna have to turn one on and play with the other, so, do I just slice off the connector, hookup a 9 volt, or 3 volt, whichever is safer, to it, with an optional switch, and I'm good to go, or is it a bit different, and which one's positive and negative
Edit: BTW today's my Birthday.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend leaving your official sensor bar intact, and then getting one of these usb powered sensor bars: http://amzn.com/B001UAAX60. If you have a newer TV, you can power it off of the (otherwise useless) USB port on the TV (and that way it won't draw power when the TV isn't on). If your TV doesn't have USB ports, you would have to come up with something more creative, or just use a wall adaptor and live with the fact that the sensor bar will always be on.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, but what I want to do is be able to turn it on or off...

That's why you're ultimately going to want either a USB one that will turn off with your TV or a wireless one you can switch manually. The Wii and WiiU both disconnect power to the sensor bar when the console is turned off. As Bortz said, you don't need to switch anything between the consoles - the sensor bar provides zero data to the console whatsoever. The cable you're plugging in is purely to power it. The Wii Remote picks up the LEDs in the sensor bar and transmits that information back to the console through the remote's bluetooth connection.

I mean, alternatively, you could buy two, splice the second cable into the first one and have it plugged into both systems, but that's just getting silly...

BTW, has anyone tested the Voltage output that the Wii Outputs to the sensor Bar?
I'm trying to hook up batteries onto the sensor bar and don't want to fry it.

I've powered a 6 LED (3 per side, aftermarket) one via +5v from USB with no issues. 10 LED official one may not light as well/at all but you won't damage anything. As far as the voltage the console outputs, I haven't measured that.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have 2 sensors, you could splice the 2 ends onto it (with diodes to make sure you're not sending power to the other machine). Plug one end into each machine so it comes on when you have one or the other on. The only problem is if you have both machines on simultaneously.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have 2 sensors, you could splice the 2 ends onto it (with diodes to make sure you're not sending power to the other machine). Plug one end into each machine so it comes on when you have one or the other on. The only problem is if you have both machines on simultaneously.

Not a problem because you're not supplying additional voltage, just more amperage, which isn't going to make a difference.

Not that you'd have much of a reason to have both on anyway.

But like I said above, resorting to this is just silly.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO there's no need for a Wii on the same TV as a WiiU, because of the vWii. I was just offering a solution for whatever his reason is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended