Hacking RELEASE HACDN v3 - Safely download your Switch eShop purchases on your PC

Which is the better Switch game?

• Total voters

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just because someone contributes to something, it doesn't mean that person was "running" it.
Tell that to a lawyer who finds this and tries to get ahold of anyone connected to this scheme. You guys are in over your head and you ignored warnings about this for days. If I can find out his real identity, so can a lawyer.

Reactions: TAUSENN

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tell that to a lawyer who finds this and tries to get ahold of anyone connected to this scheme. You guys are in over your head and you ignored warnings about this for days. If I can find out his real identity, so can a lawyer.
"You guys" ? LOL... I literally contributed nothing to it—other than my wasted time looking for the updated interface.

coldbat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why any of you are writing "Guarantee ban" or whatever,
if you dive into tampering with your device you should expect there to be risks.
Literally everything that is not made by an first-party developer for the console is not safe.
You all should know this by now.

Haise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm it works. There was a weird hiccup where it generated a folder called CNMT and then an error stating the file inside couldn't be accessed because it was already being used. Clicked continue and pressed Download again and was successful.

Miqote

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Not sure why any of you are writing "Guarantee ban" or whatever,
if you dive into tampering with your device you should expect there to be risks.
Literally everything that is not made by an first-party developer for the console is not safe.
You all should know this by now.

Because the chance of getting banned by doing this is insanely higher than most other things.

softwareengineer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for 3DS/WiiU there was a client certificate, but it was shared for all devices. On Switch they are unique for each device

Ok yea I knew from reading that on switch the requests are made I with keys unique to the device, and so re-read that link again more closely, and I wasn't big on 3ds or wiiu, but THAT seems like the oversight! Really? Using a shared cert that every device has? That's basically like not having one at all! lol. Okay so they definiately upped their game with the switch in the cdn regard.

Relevant final paragraph of link:
"Console-unique client certificates combined with required device-id parameters to download contents mean that Nintendo knows exactly who is downloading what, and when, and they have the power to blacklist anyone who misbehaves by downloading games that they shouldn't be allowed to. In addition, although they aren't currently doing this, because all tickets are console-unique they can know what games a given console is authorized to access, and could potentially restrict access for a given client certificate/device ID to only the games legitimately purchased for that system."

Why and how would he know they aren't doing it? Tried downloading a un-purchased game and it worked? (by the way I don't recommend anyone trying this, unless you're willing to take one for the team see if it works with knowing you may be banned later). The reason this trips me up is it seems so bizzare to me that they wouldn't check if you actually purchased something before shipping it to you, it seems like standard practice. Any online shop uses your authentication / session / details provided in the request, and checks that you've bought that something, then sends it to you. Seems kind of silly to skip that important step, with as you stated and me knowing full well it would be trivial to do so and it seems odd for sure, maybe really is an oversight lol. So concerned with the details of the security they're like "yes we got it all secured up!" - guy in the back says "The device specific and encryption is nice and all, but wait did you remember to check if they actually purchased it step?" -"DOH! ". lol

Reactions: TR_mahmutpek

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a shame, you worked really hard to create a product and so many people give you crap about it.

If people don't realize there is a chance they could be banned with this tool, they shouldn't be using CFW. Same goes for literally anything else relating to CFW.

Keep up the work man, hope you're learning a lot by building these tools as well!

That still doesn't mean you should be offering the ignorant masses the tools to ban themselves faster. Yes this proves it can be done but do you want to give the masses the tools when they have no idea what they're doing? In that situation it's incredibly irresponsible. That seems the reality judging by a lot of the posts asking for a full tutorial on how to use this.

If the big N does come knocking (which they will), all this is going to do is clutter up the forums with "I used X tool and got banned. Here's my rambling moan!" Did they know the risk? I'd like to hope they would, but since tools like this exist in such a way it's holding the user's hand throughout, they've got no reason to read the risks because this "nice tool did it all for me."

In all honesty I'd suggest holding off on releases like this until we know what we're up against, instead of releasing a tool and (potentially) getting a lot of ignorant users to jump under the bus "in the name of research" which will only make them come back and spam angry posts about being banned (regardless of them knowing the risks or not). I'd even go as far to say it may bring some unwanted attention to the modding scene as well.

Last edited by Flying Scotsman,

Dudamax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone please answer my question? How do I get the Device I'd from PRODINFO.bin? I feel like my post will just be buried under all the arguing...

SimonMKWii

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Can someone please answer my question? How do I get the Device I'd from PRODINFO.bin? I feel like my post will just be buried under all the arguing...
I'm planning to add an extraction feature, so you won't need to input your device ID, just open your PRODINFO.
Anyone like that idea?

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has nothing to do with doing anything to your switch, if you want to avoid a ban risk all together get another switch. Or there are greasier options...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...