HA HA... NES MP3 Player V3....

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, May 27, 2007.

May 27, 2007

HA HA... NES MP3 Player V3.... by Harsky at 3:34 PM (1,210 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I finally got round to making another version of NES MP3 player. THIS TIME IT HAS A SCREEN.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really could've worked on cutting the hole better. Anyways, if I was to offer it up for sale in the WTS forum, what would you offer for it?

2. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    nice work
    I think I'd prefer it with no screen tho [​IMG]

3. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Yes, you could have. It seems you have created "OrR's DS V2": The Ugliest Thing Done To A Nintendo Console / Peripheral Ever. So, regarding the WTS forum, you'll either have to pay people to take it off your hands, or a bunch of hipster kids will decide it's "chic" or "cool" or totally "hip" and they'll bid $[a lot] for it. Who can say? [​IMG]

Just kidding [​IMG] It looks neat, but you really shouldn't have done the screen, at least not on the front side [​IMG]

4. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Well, I did build the V2 NES MP3 player which came from an MP3 which doesn't have a screen built in. Sadly it requires an AAA battery so I need to take out the case and resolder it.

5. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    not sure if you used the Start and Select buttons for anything, but that would be a good spot for the screen

...if its possible [​IMG]

6. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    It's too bad you couldn't fit the screen where the start and select button area is, the screen looks virtually the same size. edit - yeah like what .TakaM said!

Nifty but I'll stick to my ipod methinks. [​IMG]

7. GeekShadow

Member GeekShadow GBAtemp Fan

France
    About NES Controller moding, I just remember my brother do some coloring :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    I'm a sucker for cool mods, this is something I'd be really interested in owning. Not sure if you'd be willing to relocate the screen/screenhole somewhere exactly in the middle [Preferably a clean cut right above the words "Start" and "Select", where the two Grey stripes are located) that is, if you have another controller to work with and if it is, physically possible]. I guess I'd be willing to put down $50 USD [37.1442 EUR]. Also, how much can it hold, and what is the method of holding the MP3's? Does it use microSD's or something or is it built in flash memory? What are the methods of charging the battery?

Let me know what's up [​IMG]

9. jtroye32

Member jtroye32 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    center the screen in between the top two gray boxes in the center and have the cuts done professionally and you got yourself a nice player that should sell for a lot. don't put the screen in place of start and select.. it's just not the same without all the buttons.

10. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Next project, Dreamcast controller MP3 player XD

I have to agree with everyone about the screen position, above the Start/Select buttons.

Also, is this a 1 gig mp3 or a 512?

11. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    If you notice in the second picture, the MP3 green PCB is big and when I first cut the whole, I realise I cut it in the wrong place so I can't exactly back out at that point. I just tinkered about with it a little more and sadly the screen and the PCB is till too big and moving it won't make much difference because the black headphone jack is in the way and I'm afraid of cutting the PCB smaller incase I break a link or something.

Info. Errrr, it's a 256mb Logik MP3 player that I found for sale and it recharges via USB port. Nothing special really.

Really, don't think I wanted the hole cut like that. It's the size of the PCB that's preventing me from doing it and all the tools I have at hand to cut it were literally just bargain tools. I might try and write up a tutorial one day but it's going to be impossible unless I find another suitable smaller MP3.

12. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    I'd love a tutorial! [​IMG]

13. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I was serious about making a tutorial. I got everything set up. I bought a cheap Ipod Shuffle clone on ebay because it was small and had no screen and 1gb memory. I was taking pictures of everything... until I got to the point where I desoldered the earphone jack. Everything went downhill. The headphone jack is also what is used to connect to the USB via a special cable. When I removed it, I effectively destroyed it and am now left £16 out of pocket and just a bunch of spare parts. Might try again where the headphone and the USB are 2 separate things.

14. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Years ago, I modded an NES controller with 2 cords to plug into port1 and port2 of a Commodore 64. That worked well.

The MP3 player is pretty cool. [​IMG]

15. xabier

Member xabier GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    It would be nicer if the screen was facing a side of the pad, it wouldn't be "strange"