Gwent source code leaks online, along with an auction for Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk source code

Et3R5WrXMAAZ6bQ.jpg

Just two days following a ransomware attack on The Witcher developer CD Projekt Red, their assets have begun to leak online. On Monday, CD Projekt Red announced that a hacker group had dumped full copies of Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3, Gwent, and an unreleased version of The Witcher 3. They also claimed to have access to "documents related to accounting, administration, legal, HR, investor relations and more." However, CD Projekt Red stated they were unwilling to give in to their demands, and the leaks have reportedly already begun.

According to the Twitter page for vx-underground, a self-described "collection of malware source code, samples, and papers," the source code for Gwent, a card game in the Witcher universe, has been leaked online. While links are being taken down quickly, journalists from Motherboard, Vice Magazine's technology division, were reportedly able to download a copy and verify its authenticity. They claim the download is larger than a legitimate Gwent download, has assets pertaining to several different versions of Gwent, and has "what appear to be Testframework files, software game developers use to test applications." Also according to Motherboard, a note reading "next release is tomorrow" was in the download folder, as well.

It appears that the hackers have not given up on getting money out of this, yet, however. In a follow-up Tweet, vx-underground claims that the hackers will be auctioning off the source code for Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3, with a starting bid of $1,000 USD, on the Exploit forums, a popular hacking website. It is unclear if the Witcher 3 source code they are referring to is the unreleased version alluded to in the note from the initial attack, or if it the officially released version.

The sharing of stolen, copyrighted material is illegal and, thus, against the site's rules. Please do not ask for illegal files. Please do not post illegal files. Please do not share links to sites that host illegal warez. Failure to adhere will result in account suspensions or permanent bans.

[UPDATE]

It was originally reported by vx-underground that the opening bid for the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk source code would $1000 USD. This was apparently a typo, and the opening bid will instead be $1,000,000 USD. They will also sell immediately for $7,000,000 USD.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Well, wonder how long it'll be before this guy gets caught?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wait, don't they realize that if they put out a bid that literally only one person has to buy it and then the buyer can re-release it? It's not like the leakers can call the cops on them since it's illegal for either party to have it anyway. I'm hoping somebody forks out the $1,000 though so that everyone can pick apart the Witcher 3 in the future
They're in it for the money.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to show any type of support for what these people did, but I really can't help but ask, could Gwent theoretically be compiled for the Switch, or maybe even Wii U? Not holding my breath for either, but it would be pretty cool to see a modern game not released for a Nintendo system get the treatment that the likes of Mario 64, GTA 3, Sonic 1,2, and CD have seen in recent months, appear on a Nintendo system (even if it is just a card game).

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not relicense the leaked source code + data assets under one of the various open-source licenses? Oh wait, that would need the approval of the people who wrote or created that content, and wishing for this is just another one of my pipe dreams. :(

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
These hackers did not pick their target exactly in a masterful way... what the fuck CDPR even has to lose at this point... they couldn't care less.

gbadl

Trophies
XP
Country
Does The Witcher 3 have source code for the Switch version? Hopefully some exploit can be used for the game that can be used on patched Switch. Or Maybe the source code has keys to build our own games on Switch? Good to dream. I wonder if Cyberpunk will be ported on switch with 480p graphics and maybe custom patches for Potato PC's to improve performance.

Reactions: BigOnYa

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder if The Witcher 3 was never ported to Switch by Sabre, would this source code leak have resulted in an unofficial port by those willing to use the stolen source as a framework? Cyberpunk can barely run on PS4, so the chance of a Switch port is wishful at best.
Depends what is holding the ps4 version back, the switch cpu isnt that much worse than the ps4 one. Mind you since cyberpunk runs at such a low resolution, I think its mostly gpu related.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is terrible and scummy. Not even sure what buying the source code would even accomplish since no self respecting game development studio would touch stolen code with a ten foot pole. I guess some Chinese bootlegs with packed in malware could be made?
Only thing I can think of are stealing maybe materials/shaders.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There have been leaked and rescinded code releases before, though not usually for games as fresh and big as this. Usually get less happening than free and clear source but still something, and it is good for pulling apart a game to figure out how the mechanics work, secrets and such.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hate to show any type of support for what these people did, but I really can't help but ask, could Gwent theoretically be compiled for the Switch, or maybe even Wii U? Not holding my breath for either, but it would be pretty cool to see a modern game not released for a Nintendo system get the treatment that the likes of Mario 64, GTA 3, Sonic 1,2, and CD have seen in recent months, appear on a Nintendo system (even if it is just a card game).
I'm sure you can port the game to the Switch. As for how well it will run though, that's a different story.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would really be something :-P
I think I would hack my switch in order to play that
I would love to see it running in glorious 1fps at 240p

For real though witcher 3 would probably be possible at least