Hacking GW 3DS on firmware 9.4 - any idea when it'll happen?

miro1997

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I was planning on buying a Gateway 3DS flash card until very recently, when I read that it doesn't work on 3DS systems above firmware 9.2. I don't want to buy a Sky3DS, as I've been unable to find much information about it online and it seems kind of unprofessional.

The only two questions I have are
a) Does anyone here know if, and yes, about when we might get an update that allows GW to work on firmware 9.4?
and
b) Which sites/blogs/etc should I follow so I don't miss out on the news if/when it finally happens?

Thanks in advance for your help.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
A) 9.4 is not exploitable as of now and I would place a safe bet that it wont be exploitable in the near future.
B) The best site would be http://www.gateway-3ds.com/ since its their official site but gbatemp is a pretty good source, you shpuld also check the maxconsole GW sextion since its the official GW forum.

miro1997

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sucks - can't do anything about it though, I guess. Thanks anyway for your responses. The Gateway 3DS should work completely fine on a New 3DS as long as its firmware is on a low enough version, right? I've been thinking about getting a New 3DS anyway for a while, and this might just tip the scales...

Kuwagatamushi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soon.
In all seriousness though, GW would need to find a new kernel exploit in 9.4, which involves a lot of luck (from what I've heard and read around here). The best place to go for Gateway news is the Gateway 3DS website itself, then here.

Sky3DS is a good flashcart if you're looking to play backups on a FW that can't be exploited (like 9.4). What made you think it seemed unprofessional? Also, if you're going to get a N3DS, I'd hurry, because the original ones are the only ones with a FW ≤9.0. Getting one like that is also a crap shoot :/

miro1997

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS is a good flashcart if you're looking to play backups on a FW that can't be exploited (like 9.4). What made you think it seemed unprofessional?

I just didn't find much information about it, especially on the newer version of it - even though the whole "You can now put as many games on it as you like as long as you have enough storage"-thing seemed like a pretty big deal, but I've only found very few reactions to it... I mean, it sounds like the V2 should make the Sky3DS and the Gateway more or less equals with some different strengths and weaknesses, yet I've only been able to find very little information on the former.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I just didn't find much information about it, especially on the newer version of it - even though the whole "You can now put as many games on it as you like as long as you have enough storage"-thing seemed like a pretty big deal, but I've only found very few reactions to it... I mean, it sounds like the V2 should make the Sky3DS and the Gateway more or less equals with some different strengths and weaknesses, yet I've only been able to find very little information on the former.
main difference is, sky3ds works on 9.3+, but it wont let you use eshop rom dumps, homebrew, game hacks etc, its just plain and simple retail cart roms

Kuwagatamushi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread here talks about the differences.

If you're going to backup games and don't care about paying for your eshop games, get a Sk3DS. If you want to do all that, plus use homebrew and modified roms and such; take a chance, buy a N3DS from a place like Best Buy with a good return policy, nab yourself a 9.0 N3DS like I did, and get a Gateway C:

miro1997

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
main difference is, sky3ds works on 9.3+, but it wont let you use eshop rom dumps, homebrew, game hacks etc, its just plain and simple retail cart roms
That actually sounds pretty alright, as I've only been planning on playing retail roms anyway... Do the games themselves have additional protection? I remember that with the DS flashcards, some games couldn't be played because they were protected, and so you had to wait for a firmware update to play them (Mario & Luigi - Bowser's Inside Story was one of those IIRC). Is that still that way, or are there no more hurdles once you get past the 3DS system's protection?

Kuwagatamushi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. Nintendo placed a lot of focus on encrypting the system itself to the point where the only thing holding you back is a possible firmware mismatch (where it would ask you to update on a normal cart). AFAIK.

miro1997

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread here talks about the differences.

If you're going to backup games and don't care about paying for your eshop games, get a Sk3DS.
I've read that you can actually install a hacked emuNAND 9.4 even without a Gateway card, so that you can for example play eShop ROMS - does that also synergize with a Sky3DS?

Nope. Nintendo placed a lot of focus on encrypting the system itself to the point where the only thing holding you back is a possible firmware mismatch (where it would ask you to update on a normal cart). AFAIK.

Phew, I'm glad about that then. A Sky3DS actually sounds like a pretty good choice at this point, thank you for your help!

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
How long did we have to wait for +5.0 support? Let me throw some dates around off the top of my head:

-Early 2013: Gateway 3DS is announced. Later, we're told it it only supports 4.1-4.5.
-August 2013: Users begin receiving Gateway 3DS units. Still only compatible with 4.1-4.5
August 2013-FOREVER: 649,346,384 threads created per day asking when higher firmware support will happen.
-November 2014: 5.0+ support is announced.
-January 2015: Support for 5.0+ is released.

There we have it folks, 16 months of waiting for higher firmware support. And this was "back in the day" when 3DS piracy was still in it's infancy and not much of a threat to Nintendos business.

Now piracy is somewhat more rampant, than it was in 2013. So i can assure you, our good friends at Nintendo won't make it easy for our beloved Gateway team to find vulnerabilities in 9.3 in above. Pro Tip: don't hold your breath!

EDIT: If i have to put up with 16 more months of "soon" jokes, I'm going to maxconsole or 3ds*so forums!

Reactions: Ra1d

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
You should worry about finding consoles below 9.2...before they run out
Just bought an old 3dsxl today from a high sales store and it was 8.1 (plain red). Knowing this, I would say OP has about 2-3 months left of 9.2 safety.

gbatempnoob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find this really interesting. Seems like so many people want to run gateway but with the updated firmware, people have to resort to sky3ds. it's like gateway is purposely trying to lose market share to sky3ds and letting a competitor reap the profits

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find this really interesting. Seems like so many people want to run gateway but with the updated firmware, people have to resort to sky3ds. it's like gateway is purposely trying to lose market share to sky3ds and letting a competitor reap the profits
The two cards are like apples in oranges in their approach. Gateway relies on finding an exploit. That is not an easy task but once you have it the doors are wide open. All sky can do is play backups and that's it.

If people really want to run a gateway they will get a console with exploitable firmware. They are readily available now and always were even in the 4.5 days. The problem is people don't even look into what is required to run a flashcart until after they purchase a console and the first thing they do when they get it home is update it.

The cost of a console is a small fraction of a gamers cost of ownership as games at $40 a pop add up rather quickly.

Chrisvindan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9.4 is very difficult to say now. But we have to trust gateway 3ds team. They are so strong and never let us down. As to where to get the gateway 3ds card, i found r4depot from the shoptemp, also noticed that they are the gateway 3ds usa official reseller. Here is the page: http://www.r4depot.com/16-gateway-3ds-flashcart-play-3ds-games-on-3ds-xl-and-3ds-console.html . They also always update the info so quickly. So i got my card from them. Have worked with r4depot site for twice,left a good impression, smoothly transcation,prompt delivery,effective customer service,a trustworthy store, you can consider it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte