Guys will you abandon the wii u hacking scene when the switch comes out

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by NoNAND, Oct 25, 2016.

1. NoNAND
    OP

NoNAND GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 22, 2015
    Ireland
    Pikachu City
    I mean will the developement of iosu and rednand ne cancelled till then if it does not get finished yet.

damiano2712 likes this.

2. JimmyZ

JimmyZ GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2009
    Switzerland
    If you're so worried you can always pickup when/if they left, I have faith in you!

3. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2009
    Nope. Same with gamecube when the Wii came out. Then, Wii when the Wii U came out. :P

4. Tibi
    This message by Tibi has been removed from public view by Minox, Oct 25, 2016, Reason: Offtopic (bad) trolling.
    Oct 25, 2016
  5. AydenTheKilla

AydenTheKilla Garchomp King

May 3, 2016
    United States
    honestly, unless a new Pokemon rpg comes out on the switch i wont be purchasing it. especially after the way we were done with the Wii u. id be stupid not to wait a year at least

6. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    The sheer existence of another thing will collectively cause everyone to abandon the existing thing; no questions asked. There is a new box of eggs at the store so my existing box must be destroyed.

I know it's mentioned a lot around here but I don't think a developer has ever explicitly stated that their release schedule is dependent on the NX/Switch. I think that started off as a "it's probably because if this" before everyone adopted it and took it as truth. Feel free to correct me on that one though.

7. Dvdxploitr

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    United States
    There are still people making Homebrew games for the Atari 2600...they cracked the Sega Saturn just a couple months ago after 20 years.....

8. erikas

erikas GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2015
    I can finally use my wii u, why would i abandon it? It's not like the switch will have a native hack on launch day.

9. rw-r-r_0644

rw-r-r_0644 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Italy
    No.

CreeperMario likes this.
  10. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Yes, the WiiU hacking scene will end the moment it's unhacked successor arrives. Logic totally checks out.

11. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    One thing that bothers me about game consoles is the severe lack of DRM they could be implementing. Like having a proprietary disc format that not only uses a proprietary scrambled filesystem, but also encrypted with some crazy 8192-bit encryption keys, both private and common. The optical drive would also spin in the opposite direction, and use a proprietary diameter disc size that won't fit inside a standard DVD/BD burner. And if they try cutting it down to fit, then crucial data will be missing to make their dump incomplete. they could also encrypt the individual files on the disc with 8192-bit key sets, each... as well as use proprietary archiving formats (which they currently do). Not a single file will be editable in either hex or plain text. They could also try to embed as many of the important chips inside the PCB itself, where you'd literally destroy them trying to get to them. Another component to making the system highly-secure would be hypervisors, heavily-encrypted bootroms that can't be dumped or intercepted, and aren't susceptible to race attacks. Another thing to get rid of is ribbon connectors. Everything should be soldered to the PCBs directly, so modchips can't be installed between them (WiiKey Fusion, anyone?). Each component in the console should also have it's own updatable firmware chip, similar to the Xbox One, and how it can update the controller's firmware. The system will be constantly on patrol for any irregularities and shut them down if it detects ANY unsigned code, even in memory. USB drives and SD cards would be formatted to a proprietary disk format directly upon insertion, and without warning. But also heavily encrypted. The warnings would be in the console's manual and the user would agree to those terms upon setting up the console. No web browser, that's just asking to be exploited. I'd add more, but I need sleep.

BullyWiiPlaza likes this.
  12. jailminer

jailminer Joel? Are you up at 6 AM making a Custom Title?

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    I don't think it'll be easy hacking the Switch, but i also don't think it'll be easy to let our progress go.

13. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    So you think people would just give after working on an exploit that was being worked on for a year because the new console came out?

14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I think it will continue for as long as they can or at least until they get to the point where they can say they've "finished it."
    Hacking scenes still tend to bleed into later generations, mostly to fill in the time until the new generation is hacked.

15. Wizardkoer

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    What do you mean stop Wii U hacking scene? The Wii hacking scene isn't done yet people are still developing mods, hacks etc. for games and the console.
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page

^^ look at the "latest homebrew releases" section it's still alive and breathing :D

CreeperMario likes this.
  16. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Why on earth would exploits be cancelled? The release of the Switch has no bearing on Wii U exploits. The PS3 scene is still alive and kicking.

VinsCool and the_randomizer like this.
  17. Ace212

Ace212 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2016
    United States
    :ph34r::ph34r:
    Don't give them any ideas 0.0

CreeperMario likes this.
  18. AydenTheKilla

AydenTheKilla Garchomp King

May 3, 2016
    United States
    How about you just move on to a new forum. Good luck paying thousands for games!

Subtle Demise and Sinon like this.
  19. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    Yeah; just write bug-free code! :D

In all seriousness; I reckon there's a pretty simple reason for why nobody has implemented anything like this: we're talking about video game consoles. All that is a lot of processing overhead for zero end-user gain. Stuff like heavy encryption on everything and constant self-verification take system resources that would otherwise be available to the software; while component firmware updates and self-formatting storage (shudder) outright inconvenience the user. Given Nintendo's track record around cost and console specs, it's not like they could just drop in a juicier processor to offset all this (and anyway, we'd still have the problem of resources being unavailable to programs). Considering all this; I can understand why companies wouldn't put too much focus on making the system Fort Knox: keeping costs down with off-the-shelf parts and squeezing every ounce of performance from them is beneficial to everyone involved.

CreeperMario, BullyWiiPlaza and Wolfy like this.
  20. EclipseSin

EclipseSin FullMental Trollemist

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    Personally, yes I will probably turn my focus to the Switch. Jumping in when I did with the Wii U made it possible for me to learn some things in a few different coding languages, and I hope to do the same with the Switch along its lifespan. I'll still be sitting with everyone though I hope. So that said, I'll still be around this section too anyway. I may even be able to help make something some day!!!?!?!?!?111

Me switching focus won't affect you guys though, as I'm just a nobody and just like to learn from these great people. I don't think any of you will have to worry regardless though. I've noticed increased activity since the release of the fw.img loader. Likely other developers are starting to work on stuff now, but I can't really speak for them, nor can I say that with certainty. Just speculation.

Also, there is Team SALT. If they are really doing their own thing and plan to release (it seems to be so), you guys should have something to look forward to regardless.

Have fun guys, no fighting!

21. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i will wait for the "New nintendo switch+ deluxe dual core upgrade"

Subtle Demise and proflayton123 like this.