Captain Gynu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.inlander.com/spokane/blog-2158-...-up-at-wsu.html

"In honor of today's Guy Fawkes Day (or, more accurately, the movie V for Vendetta) some enterprising WSU students apparently hacked into the computer system and broadcast a message in several different buildings on campus, using the overhead projectors. "

"In an e-mail response from the address listed on the WSU 1812 site, "V" says the systems were completely functional except for the five minutes each hour when the video played. Additionally, he says, at 5 pm all modifications were automatically deleted. The site now has instructions at the bottom on how to remove the video if "[WSU] tampered with it," which involves running a single uninstall program.

V went on to say that at no point "was the security or stability of any system compromised by my actions, rather this should alert them to security flaws and allow them to take the appropriate actions to correct these flaws before someone with malicious intentions strikes.""

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Shaddap TDWP FTW. V for Vendetta isn't 4chan, Chatology protests or not.

As the article states, it was a group of students from the school, not someone from /b/.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
:wtf: I think I'm thinking of the wrong projectors.

I'm thinking more of....light reflecting off of mirrors to artificially inflate ink on a transparent sheet.

I'm thinking more of....light reflecting off of mirrors to artificially inflate ink on a transparent sheet.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
This is hardly newsworthy, unless it was done by some one out of school.
If it was p0rn over the projectors then maybe
wink.gif

Seriously thought, all the probably did was find out the school administrators password or used a keylogger
EDIT: Read the article and it seems that they flashed the firmware of he projector so they could control it remotly

EpicJungle

stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
monkat said:

Same here O.o

Btw, double post
wink.gif

I swore I heard this news before
tongue.gif

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
How the hell did he do that in an hour?
Unless the thing that controlled the projectcor was already running linux, with an SSH program running and a default password.
/me wonders

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Shaddap TDWP FTW. V for Vendetta isn't 4chan, Chatology protests or not.

As the article states, it was a group of students from the school, not someone from /b/.
Yeah, and I'm sure said person from the school doesn't act as part of Anonymous, and just used that alias for no reason.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Okay, if you say so. V for Vendetta is the exclusive property of /b/, and anyone associating themselves with Alan Moore's fine work should be immediately discounted as a /b/tard.

56a221.png
Can you provide proof that this hacker frequents /b/?

No, I don't think so. Channers don't operate under the alias of V. They never have. They took that mask and made it to symbolize the anonymous. The fact that this guy is using it as it should be, V for Vendetta, in honour of Guy Fawkes, actually makes him less likely to be part of the Anonymous.

Edit:
"The video also caused some consternation among instructor. Watkins relayed the tale of one instructor who, after seeing the video come up during her class, went on the Internet to find out more about the video. After she learned he was connected to an attempted bombing of Parliament, "she was very worried," he says. "

Wahaha
rofl.gif

Teacher thought it was Guy Fawkes! Very worried indeed. A man over 400 years old hacked her projector.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Okay, if you say so. V for Vendetta is the exclusive property of /b/, and anyone associating themselves with Alan Moore's fine work should be immediately discounted as a /b/tard.

56a221.png

No, I don't think so. Channers don't operate under the alias of V. They never have. They took that mask and made it to symbolize the anonymous. The fact that this guy is using it as it should be, V for Vendetta, in honour of Guy Fawkes, actually makes him less likely to be part of the Anonymous.

Edit:
"The video also caused some consternation among instructor. Watkins relayed the tale of one instructor who, after seeing the video come up during her class, went on the Internet to find out more about the video. After she learned he was connected to an attempted bombing of Parliament, "she was very worried," he says. "

Wahaha
rofl.gif

Teacher thought it was Guy Fawkes! Very worried indeed. A man over 400 years old hacked her projector.

Who gives a shit anyway?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:

56a221.png

The V For Vendetta Guy Fawkes mask has become very associated with Anonymous and /b/. The appearance of clips from V for Vendetta in a hacking suggests a likelihood of /b/tard due to the combination of the Anarchistic rebellion with a computer hacking, both of which Anonymous are famed for. We don't have proof but we have a theory which you have failed to disprove.
Admittedly it was being used in the correct context but, hey, give us a break. Computer Hacking + V For Vendetta usually leads to a member of 4Chan somehow.

ANyway who cares? It was a cool stunt
biggrin.gif

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Crass said:
Who gives a shit anyway?
I do. I'm a fan of V for Vendetta. I'm not a fan of 4chan. /b/ has taken the image of V, and soiled with their idiocy. I wore my Fawkes mask in the street once. Someone came up to me and called me a newfag. The guy I was talking to was actually claiming that that mask is 4chan, and anything connected to that mask was orchestrated by /b/. Not cool.

JamestruthThe V For Vendetta Guy Fawkes mask has become very associated with Anonymous and /b/. The appearance of clips from V for Vendetta in a hacking suggests a likelihood of /b/tard due to the combination of the Anarchistic rebellion with a computer hacking, both of which Anonymous are famed for. We don't have proof but we have a theory which you have failed to disprove.
Admittedly it was being used in the correct context but, hey, give us a break. Computer Hacking + V For Vendetta usually leads to a member of 4Chan somehow.
Yes, it has become associated with /b/. That does not mean it is /b/. You may have a theory, but it is a baseless theory simply based on pointless assumptions. I may not have proved it wrong, just as you have failed to prove it right, but this is actually out of character for a 4chan operation. Clean and tasteful. The man who made that video actually slipped into the persona of V. /b/ doesn't act as V. They act under his mask occasionally, but they don't act as him. Plus, the student repaired everything he did after he got his message across, and gave the school an uninstaller incase they'd F'd up his automatic removal. Not very /b/tard like.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Daxter said:
What's a /b/ or a /b/tard?

(Probably gonna get called a /b/tard for saying this!)
An internet bulletin board.
It's full of retards, even worse retards than on forums like gbatemp which gets rid of most of them by requiring logging in and registration.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/