Guitar Hero vs Rock Band?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by R2DJ, Nov 11, 2008.

?

Which one (in terms of stability)?

1. Guitar Hero World Tour guitar bundle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rock Band 2 guitar bundle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Guitar Hero 2/3 with the Xplorer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Nov 11, 2008

Guitar Hero vs Rock Band? by R2DJ at 5:16 PM (1,298 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    EDIT: DON'T CLOSE. I PM'ed Rayder to close this but I changed my mind. So don't close it please.

Well here's the story: The whammy bar of my guitar broke and the green button doesn't register anymore. I just got GHWT (disc only) last Friday and I played it too long. I really liked it! What more if I play it with the drums (which I can't buy due to lack of space) and the mic (my mum and mates will love this, still have to find one)? Anyways, the whammy broke so I can't whammy them star power sustains. That really matters to me and pretty much all songs use the green button so I won't be able to FC songs. What I did was I put it away and I'll never play it. I lost the receipt so I can't give it back and get a replacement. I returned GHWT to Gamestation so I got a £37 store credit to spend it on another game which will be mentioned as you read. So, in short, no more Guitar Hero on Wii.

However, I am getting a 360 this Xmas and I've decided I'll get either GH or RB for 360. I can't really decide. In the past, I made a topic on which guitar is better and a lot of peeps said the Xplorer > Les Paul. I want help!

So I got the £37 store credit for Gamestation so I'll use it + my savings (which will be approx. £70 by the time my college term ends). My mum will buy me the Arcade and I can just add £40 to buy the Premium version. The money left will be enough to buy a guitar + game, but which one?

I play on Hard and in GHWT, BYOB stopped me from carrying on. I still need to practice. I can say I'm good at Medium in GH: Aerosmith but I'm rubbish in the Medium songs in GH3 (I'm talking about the triplets)

EDIT: I'm considering RB2 because the drums can be played on a flat surface so it doesn't consume floor space, which is good and I can put it away. Plus, it's thinner than the GHWT drums right? Only the functionality will make or break my decision.

I know you can't use RB2 drums for music studio but oh well...not a fan of it.

2. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    Well you have 'NVM' on your other one... Which thread are we supposed to use?
    On topic: I have never played Rock Band, but judging by the videos I have seen, it looks pretty boring. I personally prefer Guitar Hero.

3. Daihatsuboy

Newcomer Daihatsuboy Advanced Member

United States
    I prefer Guitar Hero. Compared to Guitar Hero, Rock Band's guitar gameplay is too easy.

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Guitar Hero 2 > Rock Band
    Rock Band > Guitar Hero III & World Tour

This is 360 versions.

Not played RBII.

5. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    Seriously? I thought GHII was kinda boring. It had some fun songs such as The Light that Blinds and Six, but other than that... GHIII IMO had all the good songs and was fun... Haven't played WT yet though.

Btw, there should be a poll.

6. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Poll added and info rewritten.

This can be considered a BUMP

7. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I don't like the feel of Rockband, it's just not fun, no good parts of the song. WT had too repetitive drum parts though. I like GH II, III, and WT, never played the first one.

Also the guitar for GH feel better than that weak strum bar and cheapass buttons on RB.

8. Galacta

Member Galacta >:)

Australia
    GHWT ftw.
    Has way more features and fun!

9. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
    Rock Band 2 hands down across all boards. Harmonix just makes a fun game. I'm sorry, but Neversoft fail miserably at the rhythm game genre and should go back to their shitty button masher skating games.

Guitar Hero World Tour is just a terribly shame to music games. It's terrible unfun to play. The charts are still very unrealistic, most of their soundtrack is already available in RB2, and their exclusive songs are nothing but a giant yawn. GHWT gives you difficulty for difficulty's sake, and doesn't have you play for the love of the music, but rather turns the songs into obstacles in which you must overcome. I'd rather enjoy the music and have a good time than do some insane shit which in no way resembles the song I'm playing for the sake of beefing up the difficulty.

And while I normally prefer Red Octane instruments, for Activision to talk shit about the faultiness of the RB1 stuff, they should've made DAMN SURE their shit for their band game worked out the door. Working at GameStop I have never encountered so many pissed customers when it comes to their peripherals. Activision specifically sent out messages telling all retail stores to NOT take back faulty instruments. Activision forces their customers to ship the faulty stuff back to them, with you fronting the bill for shipping both ways. And good luck with what they send you back because if that's ALSO busted, you're paying that shipping all over again.

So overall, the instruments AND game are pretty bad. A very large waste of money. Activision is only making money off of the Guitar Hero name that Harmonix, the makers of Rock Band, created and popularized. And Activision shows no shame in milking the cash cow as much as they can before people realize they are buying shit and that the game they loved is now called Rock Band, not Guitar Hero.

Anyways... done my rant.

10. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    honestly I prefer Rock Band 1 to Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero World Tour.

Why?

Rock Band 1 stays tried and true to the classic single player tour mode. If I want to just play one song and earn some cash on it, I am more than able to do so. Can't do that in Rock Band 2, you're forced to play a setlist to get the song you want. There is quick play, but who on single player plays on quick play? Also in RB1 there is no lag in the game. I have a TV that's lag-free and doesn't need to be calibrated -- both RB1 and GHWT return a 0ms lag time (just for testing), but Rock Band 2 gives me a 54ms lag time. Harmonix screwed up that one there.

Also Neversoft didn't quite get this one right. Although they have a good song list it's fronted by incredibly cheesy looking characters/venues, poorly done motion capture, and a timing window for hitting notes that's absolutely ridiculous. If you have a series of notes you need to be 100% spot on strumming them when they hit the strike line otherwise the game will think you're double strumming the previous note that comes down. It makes for a somewhat painful experience.

Now on the back end; the developers. Harmonix wins this one hands down, as they interact (mostly) with the community properly and don't turn the fanboys into a bunch of raving idiots (well maybe some of them). Even though they tried with Rock Band 2, they made it all too much a multiplayer game and took out all the solo aspects so it felt like I bought the same game twice, however they've stuck to their word and are releasing music every week. Neversoft somewhat got the single tour correct although you're forced to play gigs instead of picking a song from the set which is dumb if you wanted a certain song. On the multiplayer side, Guitar Hero completely fails, I mean, what kind of shitty game makes all players use the same Star Power meter, and once a single person fails, the whole band fails. Terribly thought out.

Oh, and I thought the music creator would give an edge to GH:WT but it doesn't... it's just... terrible. The samples are completely monotonous; I've heard better ringtones. And to think Activision wants to charge for all of the bullshit content on their "GHtunes", made by other users. Sure they got 25,000 uploaded songs on there but they didn't mention 24,950 of them were just shit uploads to get a fucking achievement!

Now on to instruments... At first it was all about my Xplorer, but when I got the RB1 strat the Xplorer felt way too tiny, so I upgraded to the Les Paul. My Strat broke on the first day I got it, so I tossed it aside and used my LP. I had 2 LP guitars because they were much sturdier than the Strat, obviously. One of my LP guitars ended up breaking but after a year of abuse, I'm not surprised. Now, I've got the newest ones as well; the Rock Band 2 Strat and the Guitar Hero World Tour guitar. Which one's better? The Strat. Definitely. The strum bar actually feels better on the strat! On the GHWT one, the strum bar is way too long, when I strum, it squeals, and the neck of the guitar is very, very fat. No realism whatsoever. The touch slider is also useless; touch buttons are too damn wide.

I can't go on about Drums because I will only go near the Rock Band 2 wireless drum set -- I owned a RB1 set beforehand and never had an issue with it. Now I've got my RB2 set and not having an issue with that one either. I'm guessing that it's better than the Guitar Hero one because I've only heard 95% of everyone who bought the game has had pretty much a broken drumset right from the get-go.

All in all,
    Rock Band 1 > Rock Band 2 > Guitar Hero World Tour
    RB2 Strat > Xplorer > Les Paul > GHWT Guitar > RB1 Strat

11. Galacta

Member Galacta >:)

Australia
    Remember, its their opinions!

12. Immortal Game

Member Immortal Game GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This.

I can't stand playing the new Guitar Hero games these days. Activision's milking the hell out of it. Sure, the songs are harder in Guitar Hero, but if you just take a moment to listen... really now, does it seem so much like you're actually playing the song? Harmonix is so much better at making song charts... it actually feels like you're playing the song, and I've noticed that the Guitar Hero charts don't have hammer ons when it seems like they're supposed to... which just makes it harder.

It seems that I'm complaining that Guitar Hero is too hard... it's not. I could probably play those songs if you handed me a controller... it's just that they're so unrealistic, and I thought what they were going for was for it to be more realistic? Isn't the whole "RB vs. GH" thing kinda based on which one is more realistic?