Gaming Guitar Hero Is Coming Back... To Wii U, And Everything Else!

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Man, instead of being a negative Nancy, why don't you be happy for the return of Guitar Hero and let Activision deal with the Wii U sales numbers?

It's just being realistic about the Wii U, it's not doing well, and even less for 3rd party so you can't quite avoid it.

Godspeed, Activision.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd be interested if there's controller support, sooo I doubt I will be. As weird as it may be, I learned to play on a controller before a guitar and successfully beat GH2, 3 and Aerosmith on expert with it. I also hope it's Guitar Hero again...not Band Hero. The quality of songs plummeted when they went to the full band format.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I heard that in this game you can stream your performance and the more viewers you get on the stream the bigger the crowd becomes in tne game!
As it's first person that would be very cool.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I heard that in this game you can stream your performance and the more viewers you get on the stream the bigger the crowd becomes in tne game!
As it's first person that would be very cool.
That seems like it would be really useless for most people. No one would watch a random dude on the internet play guitar hero, especially without facecam/commentary/whatever, unless he's insanely good in the first place.

Looks like old guitars will not be supported with the new game. Guess I wont be buying. Ugh! Two steps forward, one step back.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/251128-...r-next-year-old-dlc-instruments-not-supported
Of course not, they completely changed the controls. Instead of a row of five buttons it's a 2x3 grid now.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That seems like it would be really useless for most people. No one would watch a random dude on the internet play guitar hero, especially without facecam/commentary/whatever, unless he's insanely good in the first place.

Of course not, they completely changed the controls. Instead of a row of five buttons it's a 2x3 grid now.

Um, ever heard of multiple play styles? Mario Kart has it, Need for Speed has it. Trine has it, Call of Duty has it. There's nothing wrong with supporting a new play style but fucking over long time fans will NOT go well.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Um, ever heard of multiple play styles? Mario Kart has it, Need for Speed has it. Trine has it, Call of Duty has it. There's nothing wrong with supporting a new play style but fucking over long time fans will NOT go well.
Yes, I have. But you'd need to remake every single chart in order for that to work. For Mario Kart, the track doesn't give a shit whether you use a kart or bike. At that point you'd basically be adding another instrument and doubling the amount of charts. Honestly, it's probably better to not even think of it as Guitar Hero but yet some other guitar game. I assume the only reason they used the name is because people know the brand.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
They should have opted out and not release it on the Wii U because Wii U owners are known to not support 3rd party publishers. I'm surprised Activision is going forward with this.
I support good games, and good ports. I don't support bs games, with shit frame rates, and poor overall quality. Just as every other owner does.

Not many people give a shit whether it's first, second or third party; we're here to have fun, not vote.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm amazed that people are excited over this. I honestly am. Sure, it's great that they're releasing it on wiiu as well, but c'mon...this game, even more so than other current gen titles, showcases what is wrong with this generation: better graphics, worse in every other way.
-what's the benefit on six buttons over five? I guess it's SORT OF closer to a real six string, but the difference will be minimal. Except you'll have to buy a new plastic guitar...AGAIN.
-goodbye, DLC. In their favor, this isn't really something we didn't see coming: new generation means starting from scratch. At least rock band preserves that part.
-what with all the other instruments? Will they be coming back too or not? (for rock band, the pro guitar and keyboard won't return...no idea how this'll play on guitar hero).
-who the hell asked for FMV's? Sure, it's sort of neat that the audience no longer consists of like 5 clones moving in identical fashion, but the only one noticing that were the ones not playing. And unless I'm seriously wrong...doesn't FMV's mean that there won't be character customization?

I'll admit the channel thing sounds cool. But if I'm honest: it sounds too good to be true. My bet is that it'll play songs from the tracklist at least half the time, has a glowing ('press <button> to purchase this song right now') the rest of the time and will probably shut down a couple months after release day. If it's even implemented everywhere in the first place (remember TVii? Me neither).

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
I'm amazed that people are excited over this. I honestly am. Sure, it's great that they're releasing it on wiiu as well, but c'mon...this game, even more so than other current gen titles, showcases what is wrong with this generation: better graphics, worse in every other way.
-what's the benefit on six buttons over five? I guess it's SORT OF closer to a real six string, but the difference will be minimal. Except you'll have to buy a new plastic guitar...AGAIN.
-goodbye, DLC. In their favor, this isn't really something we didn't see coming: new generation means starting from scratch. At least rock band preserves that part.
-what with all the other instruments? Will they be coming back too or not? (for rock band, the pro guitar and keyboard won't return...no idea how this'll play on guitar hero).
-who the hell asked for FMV's? Sure, it's sort of neat that the audience no longer consists of like 5 clones moving in identical fashion, but the only one noticing that were the ones not playing. And unless I'm seriously wrong...doesn't FMV's mean that there won't be character customization?

I'll admit the channel thing sounds cool. But if I'm honest: it sounds too good to be true. My bet is that it'll play songs from the tracklist at least half the time, has a glowing ('press <button> to purchase this song right now') the rest of the time and will probably shut down a couple months after release day. If it's even implemented everywhere in the first place (remember TVii? Me neither).
I think people are just happy to have an updated guitar hero. It's a game that anyone can easily put 100hours in without realizing it.

I've put so many hours in FIFA 13 but I can't play it anymore. The lack of squad updates really hurts. But there are no games like this on the wiiU. Maybe Zelda hyrule warriors does this, but I honestly do not know.

Games like these are always accepted with open arms.

Reactions: Margen67

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think people are just happy to have an updated guitar hero. It's a game that anyone can easily put 100hours in without realizing it.

I'm probably cynical, but I think it's more that people are just happy to EXPECT an updated guitar hero. It looks all cool in trailers and all, but as is mentioned (I think by Arras), you'll soon notice that the game is actually exactly the same as before (so it has one extra button? Whooptidoo! Check out the innovation on THAT company!!!).

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm probably cynical, but I think it's more that people are just happy to EXPECT an updated guitar hero. It looks all cool in trailers and all, but as is mentioned (I think by Arras), you'll soon notice that the game is actually exactly the same as before (so it has one extra button? Whooptidoo! Check out the innovation on THAT company!!!).

Some of us want updated versions. Booting the vWii is annoying. You have to disconnect your Wii U drive, and plug in your vWii one. Then reverse that when done with the vWii. You have to actually get the vWIi booted. Mines complains about corrupted system files all the time, falsely, so getting it booted may take multiple tries. Then you have to deal with the weird cIOS that music games need. It could take a few tries, including hard pulling the power plug to reboot, to figure out which cIOS the game needs now. Who knows, you might even need to install a new cIOS. Then you have to deal with the controller. Take off the nunchuks, covers, maybe change the batteries, etc. Also, you've lost or broken the back cover of the guitar by now. By the time you get it working, half your beer is gone and you don't even feel like playing any more. You haven't played in a while, so you are rusty. You are already in a frustrated mood just getting the game going, and having to do warmup songs just frustrates you some more. You quite after a few songs and go play something else or just watch Netflix.

So yea, a new version that has a new controller with its own built in controller guts and a built-in battery, (hopefully), would be nice. You could get the digital version and not even have to change a disc, just boot right off the Wii U hard drive.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Some of us want updated versions. Booting the vWii is annoying. You have to disconnect your Wii U drive, and plug in your vWii one. Then reverse that when done with the vWii. You have to actually get the vWIi booted. Mines complains about corrupted system files all the time, falsely, so getting it booted may take multiple tries. Then you have to deal with the weird cIOS that music games need. It could take a few tries, including hard pulling the power plug to reboot, to figure out which cIOS the game needs now. Who knows, you might even need to install a new cIOS. Then you have to deal with the controller. Take off the nunchuks, covers, maybe change the batteries, etc. Also, you've lost or broken the back cover of the guitar by now. By the time you get it working, half your beer is gone and you don't even feel like playing any more. You haven't played in a while, so you are rusty. You are already in a frustrated mood just getting the game going, and having to do warmup songs just frustrates you some more. You quite after a few songs and go play something else or just watch Netflix.

So yea, a new version that has a new controller with its own built in controller guts and a built-in battery, (hopefully), would be nice. You could get the digital version and not even have to change a disc, just boot right off the Wii U hard drive.

Oh, so we're comparing the most clunky way to play a hacked version on a mostly unhacked system with a theoretical ideal situation on a new game? Man...unless you're being as cynical as I am about this hype, you couldn't be more comparing apples to oranges.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really interesting, especially that new controller layout. It reminds me of Guitar Hero on the DS, which I was quite good at, so I think this 6-button format will prove interesting to master. And the fact that it's coming to so many consoles at once (Wii U, Xbox1, PS4, PS3, 360) is great - that way even if you don't have the newest console you can still play it. Now I need to decide what console I want it for - Wii U, PS3, or 360.

Wow! this new guitar is beautiful!

This definitely get a buy from me.

where are you people seeing the controller in that trailer? i could even sit through that shit i skipped around and i cant find it

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
where are you people seeing the controller in that trailer? i could even sit through that shit i skipped around and i cant find it

There is an image in the OP.

Reactions: Margen67

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I didn't quite say that. I do think it'll be decently different to play, since you now only use 3 fingers instead of 4, there's no longer a need to move your entire hand across the guitar, but now you have to move individual fingers up and down, a bit more like actual chords. Of course the basic "notes scroll down, hit correct button and strum" concept is still there, but that doesn't mean all that much. If you were to go by that metric, you could argue DDR is the same as Guitar Hero. I do wish they'd turn it into a bit more of a music game and make precise timing matter to score, instead of just having timing windows the size of a house. Apparently DJ Hero 2 sort of had this as a hidden feature and this is made by the same developer, so who knows.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, hey there buddy chum pal friend buddy pal chum bud friend fella bruther amigo pal...